IGNORED

MPG at Highway/Rural Roads

Red Ryder

Went for a couple hundred mile ride.

On highway averaged 24 mpg at 70-75 mpr. On Rural Roads averaged 26.5 mpg at 55-60 mpr.

Is that MPG about what you all are getting?

Nope. Your engine and/or clutch is sick and/or your brakes are dragging badly. Standard diagnostics would apply. Yamaha says it will average 39. I get about 31-35 on E10 gas @ 2000 ft above sea level.

VentureMileage.jpg

Went for a couple hundred mile ride.

On highway averaged 24 mpg at 70-75 mpr. On Rural Roads averaged 26.5 mpg at 55-60 mpr.

Is that MPG about what you all are getting?

Hey Du-Rron, nice hearing from ya.

Probably right on two wheels, but I have a Hannigan trike now.

Just a little more drag, and 400+ more pounds (not me, lol).

Later-

Thinking your 25 mpgish on a triked 2nd Gen probably aint to far off.. It would be interesting to hear from actual lop eared Trike guru's varmints to see a comparison though,, someone like @bongobobny or even @ragtop69gs (I think Raggie has experience with em) or @Carbon_One..

The closest thing to the stability of a three wheeler I have is our little Hyundai Ioniq motorhome that averages 58 mpg when out CTFWS but that is on 4 wheels and has air conditioning so that is not a fair comparison to a vehicle with 3 wheels so my guesstimate of your current MPG average may be wayyy off :missingtooth:

I thought I'd share this: as you all here know I have an addiction to combustion;) if I'm struggling with any of lifes or of my own making problems I pull up a file read a study, perhaps watch a lecture on theories, problem solving or new ways and methods! What I enjoy about this stuff is, it is all logic base!

When a problem is brought forward as a case study, gas mileage is viewed as a symptom not the problem! Usually it is ignored during the study instead we look for overall factors effecting efficient combustion. The fuel is consumed through combustion and, the percentage of usable power are the answers we look to find. Then what gets put down after the crank to the wheels and at what loads come after. In other words combining every thing into one issue is just the box or complete package, the solutions are found in the components.

That said you ask the question, am I getting the best bang per effort per cycle? This is the easy side of problem solving because the steps are easily measure, then compare to other apples off the same tree.

So I agree with DuRron, the engine would benefit from a thorough checkup.

25 mpg for me would cause me to rethink either changes I've made or if I didn't know the status of the engine, I would certainly find out.

The extra loads on these trikes of course will effect throttle position all the way thru, so, your reasoning is justified but not confirmed as to the extra weight and drag.

Posting your rate of speed with rpm's helps because that relates to air volume, which in turn relates to gas passing thru the jets. Another is throttle position at common cruising and off the line: does it take 1/3rd or 1/2 throttle held till you hit cruising speeds?

I for one like to move fast then settle down some;) on the highway; when I ride that way then my throttle may be in a or around 1/4 and I'll use the gears to keep it humming - that gives me high vacuum, better velocity, better atomized air/fuel ratios which in turn makes for more complete combustion burns; that me breaking it down;)

Patch

When we are on the trike, we are almost always 2 up and towing, with the cargo trailer we average 25-27 MPG, with the camper in tow 20-25 MPG. NO tow 29-32 MPG. We for the most part follow the speed limits. I've found that if you short shift it your fuel mileage will suffer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Cowpuc and Steven, I plan on changing plugs, maybe wires, and double checking everything. Like to improve the milage, but was expecting mid to upper 20's when I bought the trike.

Later-

When you get to it then I would add a compression test and note it down. If this test comes out withing standard then you'll know the engines is wasting less of the burn then say one with low compression or, incorrect jetting.

You will likely use fifth gear less than a 2 wheeler as well rarely when two up or when pulling.

Thanks Jay and again Steven. This is why I made this post, thinking my milage was a little low, but unsure of how low. I believe there is either a lifter sticking or exhaust leak, either one will give poorer milage. The trike did a bit of sitting for a few years, I am going to do some maintenance.

You all are great, Thanks again.

Later-