IGNORED

Posible efi solution

Wrecit

Ok first a little back ground. I use to race go karts with the Unlimited All-Stars. It is a national open engine mods class with 2 strokes up to 270cc and 4 strokes up to 510cc. We did some extreme crap getting sometimes 80 plus hp on alcohol.

One thing that some guys played with is an efi system found at this link ecotrons.com(slash)small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/ sorry my post count is not high enough to post links hope you can decode the address

A venture though being 1300cc is really just 4 300 some cc engines joined together. My thought is could a kit like this with 3 extra throttle bodies and some other added parts be modded to run on a venture.

Thought I would throw this kit out there to see what you guys thought (I had one of these kits on a 450 that I played with on the bench but never got serious and bolted it on the track so my experience is limited)

Ok first a little back ground. I use to race go karts with the Unlimited All-Stars. It is a national open engine mods class with 2 strokes up to 270cc and 4 strokes up to 510cc. We did some extreme crap getting sometimes 80 plus hp on alcohol.

One thing that some guys played with is an efi system found at this link ecotrons.com(slash)small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/ sorry my post count is not high enough to post links hope you can decode the address

A venture though being 1300cc is really just 4 300 some cc engines joined together. My thought is could a kit like this with 3 extra throttle bodies and some other added parts be modded to run on a venture.

Thought I would throw this kit out there to see what you guys thought (I had one of these kits on a 450 that I played with on the bench but never got serious and bolted it on the track so my experience is limited)

You know you can get a 4 stroke to run off a spray bottle, the problems are only found when drivability issues drive you crazy!

So there is no bolt on kit available that I know of for these engines.

When and how are you going to sequence the EFI?

You will need to choose a trigger location and adapt the Hall; would you go cam or crank? My guess is you'd want both at least up front.

325 cc @ 100% fill so what would your idea be around induction? Long, short, verifiable?

Throttle body: 2 choices one or four. One takes some thinking 4 is quicker. Then length of runners filtration....

You will definitely want to manage spark, have you a solid understanding of the when and whys?

In theory converting to EFI or CEFI isn't that hard once you have a plan and direct knowledge for the engine you want to convert; the problems really lie after the conversion when done on small budgets! That's not to say it isn't worth the effort so long as you yourself have a solid understanding of how it must pull together.

May we ask why you feel this bike needs the conversion?

Patch

Hey Patch to answer the main question this bike does not need efi. Some on here have discussed it and I thought it might be an option. As I said I use to race karts with UAS. That class is a dream it up and race it class (have a buddy that ran a gas leaf blower for forced air induction)

I have played with the posted kit and had good bench results with dyno numbers that were off the charts with the maping capability. I am to dumb to know what can't be done I guess lol.

With a little luck I will be picking up my first venture (92) in a week or 2 and my tinkering mind is already racing to see what imposible things I can do to it. This will all be top secret till I make some progress however but if it works it will be a serious mod bike hidden behind the beautiful first gen lines.

Btw by mod I do not mean I am going to do any major port or alchy conversion (though that might be cool to make a 1/4 mile smasher venture lol) I am intending to use my venture as a big city daily driver (I know the real intent for the venture is the open road and long trips but as a union carpenter I need a bike with the ability to transport work tools saftey equiptment ect and a road cruisers boxes would make this posible)

Pureists will probably hate my bike when done but it will be able to cruise in a pack and from road speed blend right into the pack

Once upon a time I was working on an EFI for the 1st gens, that project ended when I had to sell the bike due to health issues. As for WHY? that is easy, I HATE CARBS!! I started the project during a stretch when it seemed every other new thread was dealing with some kind of a carb issue. To me carbs are all blue smoke and mirrors.

Hey Patch to answer the main question this bike does not need efi. Some on here have discussed it and I thought it might be an option. As I said I use to race karts with UAS. That class is a dream it up and race it class (have a buddy that ran a gas leaf blower for forced air induction)

I have played with the posted kit and had good bench results with dyno numbers that were off the charts with the maping capability. I am to dumb to know what can't be done I guess lol.

With a little luck I will be picking up my first venture (92) in a week or 2 and my tinkering mind is already racing to see what imposible things I can do to it. This will all be top secret till I make some progress however but if it works it will be a serious mod bike hidden behind the beautiful first gen lines.

Oh I get the secret part!

The leaf blower experiment is I think a wonderful teaching process! In all cases that I've seen or read only the compression ability is judged, lot of us mature dudes who started in the 70's know that that is the least important factor; it in my opinion is the thrill of the experience, then the reckoning that filling a jug just aint that easy!

As far as the EFI on the 1300 cc it is not impossible, but a bit impractical, up front you will need to solve the wasted spark, if the triggers were 4 then you have an easier start.. Many years back a group of us were working on this back when it was pop to convert cars, we in the bike world had a different set of hoops to loop thru.

Today there are kits that are relatively complete with support to guide you through and of course they have their forums to bounce off problems with.

If you are looking for power then on these V4's you will need to give the heads some thought, then the cams. I assume you will want to locate injectors close to the ports? So I would do mock ups on a home built flow bench. The reason here is that in this scenario with the CV removed the percentage of fill will move to favor these efforts, so getting this right is a big win!

Now you're going to want to pick your rpm performance range, otherwise you'll get to the dyno and be disappointing.

Keep in mind you are moding a touring bike, no point in being the faster if you can't go the distance! Forget burnout cause those are going to cost big time on these heavy beast.

Sing up and bring a plan to us, see if we can help or perhaps just cheer you on.

Patch

Btw by mod I do not mean I am going to do any major port or alchy conversion (though that might be cool to make a 1/4 mile smasher venture lol) I am intending to use my venture as a big city daily driver (I know the real intent for the venture is the open road and long trips but as a union carpenter I need a bike with the ability to transport work tools saftey equiptment ect and a road cruisers boxes would make this posible)

Pureists will probably hate my bike when done but it will be able to cruise in a pack and from road speed blend right into the pack

So I wrote my last post during your the above posting... Anyways I sure hope the general supplies the table saw;)

So I wrote my last post during your the above posting... Anyways I sure hope the general supplies the table saw;)

My "what the hell are we going to do today" tool box goes about 140 lbs though I have several soft side bags for framing, drywall, scaffold, trim, hardware, ect that are much more manageable. The table saws, compressors and most electric are company supplied (love collective bargining lol)

As to your comments about engine moding I am sure I will HAVE to eventually crack the case open and play with it but I am getting old in my old age and speed and running through rubber no longer sound fun. Hell I am looking for quiet pipes. If I wanted rumble I would just get a hd (aside from the v rod they have not impressed me since before amc)

Now stereo that I can listen to my talk radio would be nice. Lit up like a christmas tree is cool. Built in massage seat maybe? Touch screen digital dash that does total diagnostic and control radio and cb with bluetooth. Voice control to include gps might be out there.

One of the first mods that should be fairly easy will be custom arm rests for the rear (welding and sewing are some of my side intrests) wondering if quad tillys sticking out the sides would look cool (tillys are so easy to set up and maintain. We actualy put 4 of them on a pinto pony a few years back to see if we could do it and it would actually break the tires free which is saying somthing for those death traps lol will have to play with the venture carbs to see how I like them)

side question if anyone reads this is there a bolt on upgrade for the gen1 (92) alternator or would that be a night or 2 in the machine shop project (you can never have enough power)

There is a higher output stator available, not as easy as an alternator swap.

There is a higher output stator available, not as easy as an alternator swap.

I feel like an idiot. After posting came across that v's are on a stator. The 2 strokes we raced used stators so I am simi comfortable with them. Alternators are easier but when in rome.

Where can you get the higher output units. Also would there be any real advantage to forking out the 200 for a lith deep cycle battery (the bike needs a battery upgrade anyway)