IGNORED

Does anyone know how to increase top end speed?

Petersilva71

So I'm 6'2" 275 and just recently purchased a 2000 venture. I switched from a Honda vtx 1800 so this was obviously a but slower on the acceleration and the top end. The acceleration is fine for me but with a listed top speed of 105, it leaves me wanting more sometimes. It's not as if I'm trying to go 135 all the time or anything, but if I could get an increase to 115-120 for the occasional times that I need it, I think I would be much happier. So with that being said, has anyone found a way to make an increase like this?

Doesn't sound like a big deal but,, it would mean you need more HP at higher rpm right. That would require more air in and out and, that is a big deal!

My understanding is that the Vmax would deliver what you are looking for, same engine but higher performance characteristics such as cams, carbs 32mm to 35mm + V Boost, intakes then pipes followed by gear ratios...

If a ride boasts a higher top end it means little if it takes too long to reach it right; so that requires more torque, at higher rpm's!

Gets expensive right..

What you could consider doing now is going thru the bike making sure it meats spec? These old bikes after sitting a while can have dormant power just waiting for someone to wake it up.

Patch

So I'm 6'2" 275 and just recently purchased a 2000 venture. I switched from a Honda vtx 1800 so this was obviously a but slower on the acceleration and the top end. The acceleration is fine for me but with a listed top speed of 105, it leaves me wanting more sometimes. It's not as if I'm trying to go 135 all the time or anything, but if I could get an increase to 115-120 for the occasional times that I need it, I think I would be much happier. So with that being said, has anyone found a way to make an increase like this?

One thing you can look into is a DYNATEK ignition system, it will let you change the spark advance and the set the rev limiter a bit higher, here is a link, http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/Support-Released/Dynatek/Manuals/D3K7-4_7-5.pdf

One thing you have to watch is if the rev limiter is set to high with the stock valve springs you can float the valves and damage the engine, if you want to push the rev limiter above the DYNATEK recommendations you need to change out the valve springs to the ones used in the V-Max, for the more handy types, I am pretty sure you can also change the cams out and use the V-Max cams, but more knowledgeable folks should be stopping in soon for additional information.

I suspect with the tall gearing on the 2nd gen 5th gear, it would probably go faster in 4th than 5th. I also suspect that a VMax final drive would put the bike in a much better RPM range for more speed in 5th gear, due to being in a much better range for better torque and would have better acceleration through the gears.

What RPM is a 2nd gen running in 5th gear at 100mph?

Randy

Unfortunately you can not just slap V-Max heads and intake on a 2nd gen, the exhaust ports would go right thru the frame. I am also not 100% sure but I think you can swap in the V-Max cams and valve springs to help it breath better. As mentioned use the V-Max rear gear will also help a bunch. as for immediate, make sure that you are actually running on all 4 cylinders, We have had members run on 3 for years and never know it, these bikes run amazingly well on 3. So it is possible that you may get more top end speed in 4th rather than 5th.

I am not sure what the top end on a 2nd gen is supposed to be, but a 1st gen is very similar and it can hit 105 in 3rd. I believe the red line is a bit higher on a 1st gen only because the 1st gen has a tach and the 2nd gen has no tach so they put in a 6,000 RPM rev limiter. The 1st gen starts to float the valves at around 8,000 RPM.these engines do not even start to make power until 4500 to 5000, that is just the bottom of the power band.

I cant imagine why anybody needs to run over 100 mph for any distance, but if your feeling lucky....... I know when I got my 09 I was jumping up on the ickspressway over by Tampa. I was merging on I 75 and gassed it and I was rite @ 90 in 3rd changing to 4th before I slowed up some. I remember reading some folks thought that part of what effected their top speed was the large windshield.

Hey Peter,

Welcome to the forum! Since this scoot is new to you, I would suggest that you go back to basics and verify ALL of the perishable items on this bike first. I would install a fresh set of plugs gapped correctly, The K&N Air Filter Upgrade would be on my personal list, verify that you don't have a brake caliper dragging, check (and maintain) the correct tire pressure on both tires as well. Verify that you have a decent amount of brake pad left in each caliper, it doesn't do any good to go faster if you can't stop the bike when you are done going fast. Try a few tankfuls of fresh gas with one ounce of Seafoam per gallon to clean the "corn syrup" out of the float bowls. Bang for the buck wise, the VMAX Final Drive Swap is an excellent upgrade. The last thing I want to mention is in no way meant to insult your riding style BUT if you want to see 115 MPH on a Second Gen. then you need to be cranking on the throttle to rev limiter from 2nd gear on up! This is not a big twin with gobs of torque, this is more like an "Angry Mosquito" that doesn't reach the sweet spot of the power band until 4000 RPMs up. You can enlarge that sweet spot with the DYNATEK ignition system, but care must be taken when using the enhanced rev limiter. Everything I have mentioned here could be added/replaced on your bike for about 1K +/- depending on where you shop. Recamming a Second Gen. with VMAX Cams and adding the bigger Carbs. is going to run you 5K for a 10 MPH increase in top end! Weather or not that is worth it to you is a question only you can answer. A 1300cc motorcycle is NEVER going to be an 1800cc motorcycle just the same as you don't use a guard dog to hunt with. Perhaps this would be an excellent trade in on the motorcycle that would do the job for you without any mods at all, just a thought. Although I would hate to see you miss out on all of the fun you will have on this forum if you go and buy some other kind of scoot.

Stick around, check out your bike, make sure it's as they say in the Army, "Being ALL it can be" and report back with what you discover.

Again, welcome to the Forum Peter, don't be a stranger.

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

Peter, welcome to the forum. I’m not sure if you realized it yet but the stock RSV speedometer reads about 8% FAST. 100 mph is actually about 92. This can be corrected with a Speedohealer or similar device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned three RSVs. All of them would exceed 105 MPH. With the speedo corrected on all, I've seen 112 to 117 on all three. The 117 came on my second '99 model with the Dynatech module and the VMax rear end. NOTE....it is TRUE that they will actually run faster in 4th gear than 5th. My highest speeds on all three, even with the VMax rear, was in 4th gear. Now you weigh more than me so I can't say that's not affecting your final results. I'm am 6'3" and around 200 lbs. Probably 210 at that time.

I've owned three RSVs. All of them would exceed 105 MPH. With the speedo corrected on all, I've seen 112 to 117 on all three. The 117 came on my second '99 model with the Dynatech module and the VMax rear end. NOTE....it is TRUE that they will actually run faster in 4th gear than 5th. My highest speeds on all three, even with the VMax rear, was in 4th gear. Now you weigh more than me so I can't say that's not affecting your final results. I'm am 6'3" and around 200 lbs. Probably 210 at that time.

Dont know how I missed this.. After allll the years and years of debate of which is faster,, 1st or 2nd Gen,,, now I find out that 117 is it on the 2nd Gen and you lop eared 2nd Gen varmints knew it:no-no-no:,,, I can vouch that +130 is definitely NOT out of reach for a MK1 1st Gen and they will run 110/115 for hours and hours like they actually enjoy it,,, eatin up miles like a kid gooblin down skiddles :bikersmilie:.. No doubt about it,, you lop eared varmints been :stickpoke: me/us 1st Genners thru the years cause NOW we KNOW which is faster :checkeredflag::checkeredflag::checkeredflag:

Now we gotta start the debate on the 3rd Gen :missingtooth:... Here's what I think:

1st Gen = :bikersmilie:,,, 2nd Gen = :7_6_3[1]:,, 3rd Gen = :moped: :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

Just gonna throw my 2 cents in here.

1 handed 5th gear roll on to 125 mph pushing a head wind. Hard to see, but if you up the video quality to 480p you can see it better

What dahh heck,, seems like we might be going backwards in the laws of physics or something... Like to go faster ya gotta go smaller motors (blows the old saying of no replacement for displacement that as kids we were always taught)... Here's Maggies little 1000cc motor churnin it up = she had another gear left (she is a 6 speed) that I have absolutely no doubt she would happily bounce the rev limiter in too.. Not bad out of 4 little 3 inch pistons burning 87 octane (spec) :big-grin-emoticon: .. She'll do 103 in first gear (and the new BMW American 1600 is speed limited at 101?) and face plant ya when shifting 4th to 5th if ya aint careful with her throttle:missingtooth: ..

Even Crud the V-MAX, with his extra 200cc's felt like he had a rag stuffed in his v-boost compared little Maggie (he'd pull 150 but it took some stretchin to do it)!:big-grin-emoticon:

Good grief I LOVE motorcycles :happy65:

What dahh heck,, seems like we might be going backwards in the laws of physics or something... Like to go faster ya gotta go smaller motors (blows the old saying of no replacement for displacement that as kids we were always taught)... Here's Maggies little 1000cc motor churnin it up = she had another gear left (she is a 6 speed) that I have absolutely no doubt she would happily bounce the rev limiter in too.. Not bad out of 4 little 3 inch pistons burning 87 octane (spec) :big-grin-emoticon: .. She'll do 103 in first gear (and the new BMW American 1600 is speed limited at 101?) and face plant ya when shifting 4th to 5th if ya aint careful with her throttle:missingtooth: ..

Even Crud the V-MAX, with his extra 200cc's felt like he had a rag stuffed in his v-boost compared little Maggie (he'd pull 150 but it took some stretchin to do it)!:big-grin-emoticon:

Good grief I LOVE motorcycles :happy65:

I think this falls back on what you were saying about getting the testosterone flowing with them ARs and the grandsons. I think you can sum it all up in 4 words

Boys Will be Boys!

89 Royale Gen1, stock except for COPs and Ignitek.

It has no trouble reaching triple digit speeds. I usually back out before I get way up there but it gets to the buck-teens with what feels like some headroom left. I travel with a Garmin 64 series and I can say that in traditional form, the OEM speedo is optimistic by a few %. 120 indicated is closer to 110 by GPS.

If she wont pull to redline in 5th under the given conditions then a trial swap to a Vmax pumpkin would be a good choice IMHO. It's cheap and fairly easy to do, and just as easy to reverse. At speed it should raise your RPMs by about 400 making a redline pull in 5th gear more achievable but would probably feel a little busier at speed too. I know you said that acceleration was ample, but a Vmax pumpkin would liven it up even more. I would also expect it to have an adverse effect on MPG r/t elevated RPM at any given speed. It's like replacing the 3.73 in your big block Cougar to a 4.11. I left mine alone because I like the relaxed cruising RPMs and very VERY rarely ride anywhere near a city. 90% of my bikes waking hours are cruising in 5th gear along wide open roads so leaving the shorter (longer legs) final drive gear was the right choice for mine.

Also learned that shops normally dont spend much time and love on a carb synchronization, this is a good activity for the bikes owner to get the absolute most out of the existing hardware. A Morgan Carbtune can be had for less than a bone and will enable you to get the throats within a gnats belch of each other. If you live at altitude then it might not be a waste of time to check float levels and read plugs to make sure it's not a tad rich. I'm less familiar with Gen2, but Gen1 Venture and Vmax are known to be a bit rich right off the showroom floor. I live at 4000' and ride upwards from there so leaning things out got me a palpable but marginal boost to top end eagerness.

Also you may get a small boost from using pure gasoline instead of ethanol-tainted fuels. In my experience there is no gain to use premium unless its the only way to avoid ethanol. I notice a slight benefit to performance and MPG with pure gasoline.

I know we have our share of robust gentlemen here on Gen2 bikes and doing great. I'm suspecting that a careful tune and pure fuel may just have enough of a cumulative effect to make the bike ample, maybe tune it and ride it for a few weeks to see if it really needs to have more money spent. I leaned out my Venture and Vmax and got small but notable gains.

Do you have a service history on the bike? What altitude to you ride at mostly? If your near Sturgis this year I'm happy to have you swing it by so we can throw the Carbtune on it and maybe see if anything is amiss.

Here is another thread where this sort of thing was tossed around. I hope it helps.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?78006-Performance-upgrades

Edited by CaseyJ955
Vmax pumpkin to raise RPM, not lower. Corrected

My best friend had an 07 maroon RSV and had the PCW engine built and installed. That beast left all others behind. He told me the horse power but I can't remember. Let me ride it whenever I wanted but after a couple rides I thought better since I could seriously hurt myself. He said it was good to 138+ miles/hour. Now it is all Indian for him.

:farmer: