IGNORED

1993 venture royal pick up pulsor coil

HI from new member,

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to obtain an after market pulsor pick up coil for my 1993 venture royal. I live in the Highlands of Scotland so you can imagine it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have found some suitable for a v max which look physically similar but have a 200 kohm resistance . My workshop manual covers up to 1989 and the pick up coil ohm range is ok within 93.5 to 126.5 ohm. I believe there were ignition changes after that date, so was there a change in the spec for the pick up coil after this that would allow me to use, for example, the V max coil noted?

I would be grateful for any help.

Regards Chuck.

I'll need a bit of time to do some research for, but you would be best served to say within the ohms count as that is what the control module is programmed for.

Maybe other members will chime in with their take's, either way I'll post later tonight or early morning.

Patch

Yes I checked the 99 manual and the readings are higher I think it read 165 to 235ish... Anyhow I found these but I am skeptical as they don't list the ohm rating? Another note on these is I found them listed for 90 to 2007 for ventures and VMax which would be wrong according to my research. So I would send them a note asking for the rating before ordering...

This site shows them listed for 90 to 93,,, Yam apparently changed things with the pickups in 1990 but to my knowledge the manual covers 86 thru 93...

Patch

https://www.hpi.be/item.php?item=P4901

Yes I checked the 99 manual and the readings are higher I think it read 165 to 235ish... Anyhow I found these but I am skeptical as they don't list the ohm rating? Another note on these is I found them listed for 90 to 2007 for ventures and VMax which would be wrong according to my research. So I would send them a note asking for the rating before ordering...

This site shows them listed for 90 to 93,,, Yam apparently changed things with the pickups in 1990 but to my knowledge the manual covers 86 thru 93...

Patch

https://www.hpi.be/item.php?item=P4901

Well Patch, I greatly appreciate your help. Your lead has brought me to the " golden goose " or rather pulsor pick up ! It seems the V Max shares the same single pick up with the 93 XVZ a single pulsor pick up with higher ohm rating as opposed to the earlier model two pick up coils as depicted in the manual we have. So as they say where I come from.

Sainte Mhath Patch ( Pronounced : Slanj- A- Va ! Patch) meaning Good health.

Well Patch, I greatly appreciate your help. Your lead has brought me to the " golden goose " or rather pulsor pick up ! It seems the V Max shares the same single pick up with the 93 XVZ a single pulsor pick up with higher ohm rating as opposed to the earlier model two pick up coils as depicted in the manual we have. So as they say where I come from.

Sainte Mhath Patch ( Pronounced : Slanj- A- Va ! Patch) meaning Good health.

Well Thank you Chick!

I hope I've steered you correctly, please post a pic when you open it of the old and new installation; this will help us help others down the road as these bikes continue to mature.

I found the confusion listed on the web with regards to the new standard of Pulsor Coil / Stator Pulsor Coil / Stator Pickup Coil to say the least confusing even for someone who he knows what they're looking for!? I had finished late wee hours degreeing a set of cams I was already mentally whooped;) when I lucked out tripping over Yam's change to the single coil while referencing a substitute part number, tell you all I could hardly believe it!

I bet Keven has an addendum kicking around? (Prairiehammer)??

Thanks for posting the issue Chuck

Patch