IGNORED

Northwest Illinois Ride Recommendations

AGrengs

I'm planning a weekend getaway for myself and a couple cousins from MN. Last year we rode down the river into Iowa and went over to Anamosa to the museum. I'm thinking we should explore the Illinois side of the river this year. Looking for someone with familiarity of the region who can recommend roads, places to stop and eat or places of interest to visit.

Hey Andy,

Not sure what your looking for but here's a little variety. Once you get in Illinois along the river you can head down rte.20 into the town of Galena. Bunch of things to do and check out there. Heading a little north east out of Galena you can get on the stagecoach trail heading towards Scales Mound and on into Apple River Canyon State Park area, nice roads and very scenic. You can get on 20 and take that to 84 and head into the town of Savanna, very motorcycle friendly. Heading further down 84 you hit 52 and pick up 84 again and you can check out Poopy's pub, live music on the weekends. You need to stop and at least check out the L&M motel http://lmmotel.com/index.php in Savanna every room is decorated with a different theme. Plenty to see and do in this area. I haven't been that way recently so it would be a good idea to check what kind of road construction is going on, seems everywhere we have ridden so far this year has had some kind of road work going on. Good luck, and safe travels.:900[1]:

Bill

Hey Andy,

Not sure what your looking for but here's a little variety. Once you get in Illinois along the river you can head down rte.20 into the town of Galena. Bunch of things to do and check out there. Heading a little north east out of Galena you can get on the stagecoach trail heading towards Scales Mound and on into Apple River Canyon State Park area, nice roads and very scenic. You can get on 20 and take that to 84 and head into the town of Savanna, very motorcycle friendly. Heading further down 84 you hit 52 and pick up 84 again and you can check out Poopy's pub, live music on the weekends. You need to stop and at least check out the L&M motel http://lmmotel.com/index.php in Savanna every room is decorated with a different theme. Plenty to see and do in this area. I haven't been that way recently so it would be a good idea to check what kind of road construction is going on, seems everywhere we have ridden so far this year has had some kind of road work going on. Good luck, and safe travels.:900[1]:

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. I'll check some of those routes out during the trip planning.

I've only been in IL a couple of times and that was when I was a kid. Check out http://www.motorcycleroads.com/. Great site to find roads in new areas. Once you get the detail of a ride you can download the way points for GPS too.

Thanks. I'm familiar with that site, just thought someone with firsthand knowledge of the area might have specific things to see.

Hey Andy,

Not sure what your looking for but here's a little variety. Once you get in Illinois along the river you can head down rte.20 into the town of Galena. Bunch of things to do and check out there. Heading a little north east out of Galena you can get on the stagecoach trail heading towards Scales Mound and on into Apple River Canyon State Park area, nice roads and very scenic. You can get on 20 and take that to 84 and head into the town of Savanna, very motorcycle friendly. Heading further down 84 you hit 52 and pick up 84 again and you can check out Poopy's pub, live music on the weekends. You need to stop and at least check out the L&M motel http://lmmotel.com/index.php in Savanna every room is decorated with a different theme. Plenty to see and do in this area. I haven't been that way recently so it would be a good idea to check what kind of road construction is going on, seems everywhere we have ridden so far this year has had some kind of road work going on. Good luck, and safe travels.

Bill

A couple of suggestions beyond what Bill has said. In Galena, there is a road from the highway that goes through town (routes84/20) that heads south towards Chestnut Mountain ski lodge (it's called Blackjack Road). This is a nice ride through the countryside. You can stop at the ski resort as it is open during the summer. There is a restaurant and what they call an "alpine slide" where you sit on a small platform and follow a track down the ski hill and ride the chairlift back up. Our VentureRiders International rally was held here a few years ago. This was the base and we had day trips every day through week to Anamosa, IA and Field of Dreams movie site, LeClaire, IA (American Pickers museum), and others.

If you continue past the ski resort you will run into rts 84 again and if you head south as Bill described you will get to Savanna, IL. As mentioned already, a must see is Mississippi Palisades State Park just north of Savanna. It is worth it to drive through and be sure to take the side branches from the main road to the scenic overlooks. They are all or at least mostly all, a short walk from a parking lot.

Continuing to Savanna there is Poopy's bike bar but in the downtown area there is a place called "Frank Fritz' Finds" (or something similar). This is Frank from the American Pickers TV show. I have driven past this 100's of times and never stopped but plan to one of these days. Across the street is a pizza/taco place called Manny's and I recommend it. I've been stopping there for nearly 40 years. An option to head north from this area would be to cross the Mississippi at Savanna to Subula, IA and then head north following the river up to Dubuque.

A couple of suggestions beyond what Bill has said. In Galena, there is a road from the highway that goes through town (routes84/20) that heads south towards Chestnut Mountain ski lodge (it's called Blackjack Road). This is a nice ride through the countryside. You can stop at the ski resort as it is open during the summer. There is a restaurant and what they call an "alpine slide" where you sit on a small platform and follow a track down the ski hill and ride the chairlift back up. Our VentureRiders International rally was held here a few years ago. This was the base and we had day trips every day through week to Anamosa, IA and Field of Dreams movie site, LeClaire, IA (American Pickers museum), and others.

If you continue past the ski resort you will run into rts 84 again and if you head south as Bill described you will get to Savanna, IL. As mentioned already, a must see is Mississippi Palisades State Park just north of Savanna. It is worth it to drive through and be sure to take the side branches from the main road to the scenic overlooks. They are all or at least mostly all, a short walk from a parking lot.

Continuing to Savanna there is Poopy's bike bar but in the downtown area there is a place called "Frank Fritz' Finds" (or something similar). This is Frank from the American Pickers TV show. I have driven past this 100's of times and never stopped but plan to one of these days. Across the street is a pizza/taco place called Manny's and I recommend it. I've been stopping there for nearly 40 years. An option to head north from this area would be to cross the Mississippi at Savanna to Subula, IA and then head north following the river up to Dubuque.

Thanks for the reply, Gary, those are some great suggestions.

AGrengs, will we be seeing you at Orlin's Maintenance Day in Viroqua WI next weekend?

I keep tellin' myself I should plan to make one of the gatherings that are relatively close, but I work alternating weekends and have limited vacation time. The Boss (wife) only lets me take so much of it for motorcycling. I'd like to eventually make a MD or maybe Pork in the Pines to meet some people (been a member for several years)

when you get into savanna, go north threw town and look for clay street, only goes one way, takes you out of town and turns into derinda rd. follow that and it is a fun windy senic road. brings you out on hwy 20 just east of elizabeth. turn left or west and go threw elizabeth, on the west edge of town is a road that will take you to scales mound wi. another nice curvy road to ride. get to the stop sign, turn left or go west. that is the stage coast trail, that will bring you right to galena. great burger place in galena on east end of main drag is dirty gerts. hope you enjoy your ride!!!!!:happy65::thumbsup:

when you get into savanna, go north threw town and look for clay street, only goes one way, takes you out of town and turns into derinda rd. follow that and it is a fun windy senic road. brings you out on hwy 20 just east of elizabeth. turn left or west and go threw elizabeth, on the west edge of town is a road that will take you to scales mound wi. another nice curvy road to ride. get to the stop sign, turn left or go west. that is the stage coast trail, that will bring you right to galena. great burger place in galena on east end of main drag is dirty gerts. hope you enjoy your ride!!!!!:happy65:

A little clarification and correction to what Dueyk said: As enter Savanna from the north, Clay Street will be the 2nd or 3rd left. It turns into North 5th St and then into the Scenic Ridge Rd that Bill mentions in the earlier post. Later, Scenic Ridge becomes Derinda Rd. As Deuyk recommended, go through Elizabeth and turn right on S Elizabeth Scales Mound Rd. (i think there is a Dollar Store on the corner) Scales Mound is in Illinois and Stagecoach Trail is just south of town.

Thanks for tip on Dirty Gerts, Dueyk, I have not tried that one.