IGNORED

Brand new Venture Leaking Oil

Traded my 2013 VV for a 2018 SVTC last week. With 60 miles on the bike it started leaking motor oil. The next day returned to dealer. Waited and waited while the tech trouble shot and ordered seal. I took off to put on the 600 miles and get the oil changed and the leak fixed. Two days later I was back for my service and to get the oil leak fixed. I forgot to mention the Nav stopped working also so they were trying to repair that too. Six hours later my bike had the service done. Still leaking (worse) and Nav not working. They orderd another seal and blamed Yamaha for the Nav not working. It is leakin worse now so I have stopped riding the bike which has about 700 miles on it. It was purchased at in El Cajon CA. serial # 0033. I feel like I purchased a used bike. Now waiting for a call from dealer. I will follow up on this post..

That is really disappointing I'm sure. Sorry you are having those issues. Hope they get it worked out soon. First I've heard of any oil leaking on these bikes but anything can happen with any model/brand I suppose. I've heard a handful of complaints about the GPS but most are related to the limited number of waypoints that can be loaded in a trip.

Did you buy it at Vey's or did you buy it at MotoWorld?

Vey's had a grey one a few months ago that they were trying to pass off as a TC that wasn't a factory TC. I was there last year when they got their Venture's in and I had to show them how to use the fwd/reverse function. If you got it at Vey's you may need to press them to get it done right.

I have had nothing but good experiences at MotoWorld and if you got it there I would think that they will do their best for you.

I purchased it at Moto World. The bikes been on there floor for over a year now. Purchased price $20,999 SVTC with options. I'm still playing the waiting game but plan to call again tomorrow. Thanks for the positive words about Moto World, I feel a little better now.

I purchased it at Moto World. The bikes been on there floor for over a year now. Purchased price $20,999 SVTC with options. I'm still playing the waiting game but plan to call again tomorrow. Thanks for the positive words about Moto World, I feel a little better now.

Is there an update on this? Is MotoWorld handling the situation?

Today I took my bike into the dealer for service, the oil seal to be replaced and for the NAV. The seal arrived yesterday afternoon and Moto World called and set me up with an appointment today. It was a two and half hour job and also they got the NAV working! I only have 800 miles on the bike and other than the leak I love the bike in many ways. Now I'll keep my fingers crossed that the leak is fixed! Moto World is doing everything they can to resolve the problem.

Edited by PGR

IMG_2231.jpg

My bike is still leaking oil. I can't tell exactly from where, Right side directly above the VIN# tag. It then runs down the side and under the engine case. At this point the bike has 857 miles on it. Wednesday I am taking the bike back to Moto World for the last time. I Am contacting Yamaha and at this point I want another bike or my money back. This picture was taken holding the camera under the right side of the bike facing straight up.

I left the bike at the dealer on Wednesday and called Yamaha Corp. and explained the on going oil leak problem I am having with the bike. I paid cash for the bike and I told Yamaha I wanted my money back or a another SVTC. She is contacting the sales rep for MotoWorld and also the dealership to investigate the service record on my bike. Like I said before I really like this bike in so many ways, I will buy another. I seem to have the only new Star Venture that leaks oil. Wish me luck!IMG_22322.jpg

Edited by PGR

I left the bike at the dealer on Wednesday and called Yamaha Corp. and explained the on going oil leak problem I am having with the bike. I paid cash for the bike and I told Yamaha I wanted my money back or a another SVTC. She is contacting the sales rep for MotoWorld and also the dealership to investigate the service record on my bike. Like I said before I really like this bike in so many ways, I will buy another. I seem to have the only new Star Venture that leaks oil. Wish me luck!https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=116824

This is absolutely crazy what Yamaha is doing to us. My GPS maps don't work at all. I paid cash and got the 2020 May 15th 2019. May 16th I got an email from my dealer stating ...

I talked to our Yamaha service rep about the navigation set-up. He will be back in his office tomorrow and help me figure it out.

I will get back to you tomorrow....

Well, today is June 21st and like we all know,,,, tomorrow never comes.

I asked for a new scratch key code because the dealer tried to load my maps May 15th and failed. Now I get an error that my code has been used (belongs to someone else) and I need get another code. The dealer says Yamaha will not give me a new code. I asked for a new head unit but answer is no, asked for a new bike answer is no, asked for my money back answer is no. I guess I have only one alternative left....how sad is that !! My mileage is 1070km about 630mi. Like you I love the bike, I mean like if I only get one word to describe it ... awesome would be it!

Can't tell much from that picture. That is just where the oil is ending. Your actual leak would probably be above that. I will go out later and look at mine and see if I can match up that area with yours. Might be able to figure out something.

Before I started wrenching on a brand new bike that I spent 25 large on and it with 5 years of warranty on it, I would play the social media card with the selling dealership and Yamaha District Rep (dont trust the dealership saying they spoke with him, get ahold of him directly). I would calmly explain the bike is brand new with less than 1k miles on it, the oil leak has been happening since day one, it's one of a kind in it's leaking issue, the dealerships can't fix it and you want answers in the form of either a fixed bike or a new one..

I would include with that, posting your story up on other sites (such as Face Book or the Star Rider sites) where Mom Yam may be reading/watching. I know at one time Mom Yam kept track of us here on VR but am not convinced that she still is. I would look around and see if I could find out where Long Haul Paul is hanging out these days,, maybe even YouTube,, and that is where I would post my dissatifaction with the situation. I know Paul has been riding for Yamaha now for a while (he was with the factory group out at Sturgis when Yamaha did their debut of the 3rd Gen and is now riding/promoting the 3rd Gen on a factory provided bike ) and you can be assured that if you find a FB site or youtube channel involving him promoting the bike - Mom Yam will be watching closely and will feel the social media pressure to take care of your scoot = IMHO of course...

Thats what I'd do :happy34:

This is absolutely crazy what Yamaha is doing to us. My GPS maps don't work at all. I paid cash and got the 2020 May 15th 2019. May 16th I got an email from my dealer stating ...

I talked to our Yamaha service rep about the navigation set-up. He will be back in his office tomorrow and help me figure it out.

I will get back to you tomorrow....

Well, today is June 21st and like we all know,,,, tomorrow never comes.

I asked for a new scratch key code because the dealer tried to load my maps May 15th and failed. Now I get an error that my code has been used (belongs to someone else) and I need get another code. The dealer says Yamaha will not give me a new code. I asked for a new head unit but answer is no, asked for a new bike answer is no, asked for my money back answer is no. I guess I have only one alternative left....how sad is that !! My mileage is 1070km about 630mi. Like you I love the bike, I mean like if I only get one word to describe it ... awesome would be it!

My GPS was not working on my bike either from day one and I tried my self following directions from a couple different you tube videos with no luck. Went back to Moto World, they spent about 30 min on the phone with Yamaha and got it working. I ask about the scratch off code if they had to enter a new one and was told they did not. The tech told me he just followed step by step instructions from Yamaha. Maybe try a different Yamaha dealer if there is one in your area. Good luck!

If you go the lemon law route, be prepared for a long battle. It is effective but is not a quick solution. I have been through two lemon law cases, Once against Chrysler for a Dodge Truck and one against Yamaha. Both a long time ago. I was successful in both cases but both took a year or longer. One was in Texas and the other in Ohio. It's a great resource but you have to be in it for the long haul. It would have been easier to just sell buy vehicles and replace them but I am too stubborn for that. It turned into a personal matter for me;.

If you go the lemon law route, be prepared for a long battle. It is effective but is not a quick solution. I have been through two lemon law cases, Once against Chrysler for a Dodge Truck and one against Yamaha. Both a long time ago. I was successful in both cases but both took a year or longer. One was in Texas and the other in Ohio. It's a great resource but you have to be in it for the long haul. It would have been easier to just sell buy vehicles and replace them but I am too stubborn for that. It turned into a personal matter for me;.

Thanks for your input on this issue I am having. I am planing on resolving this between MotoWorld ElCajon,CA and Yamaha. I made it clear I don't want the bike back again. They have tried numerous times to fix the oil leak including ordering and installing seals with no luck, still leaking from that point. Now I am seeing very light leaking toward the front cylinder when I inspect with a flashlight. Keep in mind I have only owned the bike for 42 days. I think it is leaking from the engine case. It reminds me of my 68' Triumph Bonneville. Anyway thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

I just did mybreak in oil change at 600 miles and I too have an oil leak just like yours. I have ordered a few accessories for this bike and am at the point I may just resell them and take my losses and go back to Harleys. at least they have never given me any issues like oil leaks...really disappointed in Yamaha and this bike rides so smooth. but with the heat and the oil leak i am at my wits end...

I just did mybreak in oil change at 600 miles and I too have an oil leak just like yours. I have ordered a few accessories for this bike and am at the point I may just resell them and take my losses and go back to Harleys. at least they have never given me any issues like oil leaks...really disappointed in Yamaha and this bike rides so smooth. but with the heat and the oil leak i am at my wits end...

MotoWorld and Yamaha came through for me, my new bike has been shipped! From what I've been reading most SV don't leak oil I would contact Yamaha Corp. and meet with the GM of your dealership. Just curious, what is your S/N? Mine is 000033 Build date 6/17. Thanks and good luck!

MotoWorld and Yamaha came through for me, my new bike has been shipped! From what I've been reading most SV don't leak oil I would contact Yamaha Corp. and meet with the GM of your dealership. Just curious, what is your S/N? Mine is 000033 Build date 6/17. Thanks and good luck!

my serial number is 1071, not sure of the build date but am thinking 11/17 or something like that.