IGNORED

Brand new Venture Leaking Oil

PGR, you haven't had a true oil leak until you own a Harley. Oh, and by the way, it is not leaking, just marking it's Territory.

Welcome to the air cooled world,

Later-

this isnt meant to be a smart ass responce just FYI.

since 2013 i have had 7 new harleys from road king to cvo road glide, and cvo electra glides,,never an oil leak out of any of them. I really like this yamaha but like as stated above when you dish out this kind of money for a bike you expect it to be perfect in every way. I havent taken the bike in yet as i dont want to miss out on riding season but if it leaks enough it could get on the rear tire and cause my wife and i to have issues with the pavement.

this isnt meant to be a smart ass responce just FYI.

since 2013 i have had 7 new harleys from road king to cvo road glide, and cvo electra glides,,never an oil leak out of any of them. I really like this yamaha but like as stated above when you dish out this kind of money for a bike you expect it to be perfect in every way. I havent taken the bike in yet as i dont want to miss out on riding season but if it leaks enough it could get on the rear tire and cause my wife and i to have issues with the pavement.

Understand Jess, I would upset also spending that kind of money on a new bike and has leaks. Wouldn't expect that with new yamie.

I have owned many Harley's, they have done a much better job with leaks. My 08 ultra leaks, but heritage did not. The 60's, 70's, and 80's Harley's differently leaked, but alot just rode and not proper maintenance.

Hope they find the leak and get it fixed right.

Later-

MotoWorld and Yamaha came through for me, my new bike has been shipped! From what I've been reading most SV don't leak oil I would contact Yamaha Corp. and meet with the GM of your dealership. Just curious, what is your S/N? Mine is 000033 Build date 6/17. Thanks and good luck!

That's great news! When I mentioned this case to my dealer/mechanic/shop owner, he was shocked! We're hoping you'll be told what the issue is, but no one is holding their breath...

Good luck with the new ride! Remember to format your finger-drive in FAT32 before you attempt the GPS upload. I've forgotten who posted that first, but it was the deal-maker for me!

edit to provide credit: The FAT32 suggestion was in a GPS thread to which Bulleod contributed the idea.

Edited by GreenMtnHunter

well as it turns out Jesse T has problems and is so pissed off at Yamaha he is going stir crazy.

this brand new bike has an oil leak worse than any Harley i have ever owned and i will be taking it to the dealer probably tomorrow and my riding season will be shot to hell.

a few decades ago i saw this girl and her looks were out of this world,, well i took her home and a few years later we got divorced, i lost just about everything.

a few weeks ago i saw this Yamaha and her looks were out of this world so I took her home.

after riding both of them the ride was great, the engine not so much, and now i don't trust either one of them..very disappointed in Yamaha to say the least.

i am to old to miss what riding time i have left.

i did solve the heat issue, those 300 dollar lower vents work great

my Corbin seat is being shipped today and it will probably never see the bike as i am thinking of cutting my losses and getting another Harley..

800 miles and back to the dealer, i did the 600 mile oil change, that's when i discovered the leak.

o well enough rambling but Jesse T is still here, Mobil one 15-40 wall - mart 33 dollars for 5 qts. advance -auto was going to be 78 dollars

i will let you guys know when i get back on the road,, i just have a feeling this riding season will be over for me because the dealer here is a month out before he can even look at it. and at my age i dont have many riding seasons left..

well as it turns out Jesse T has problems and is so pissed off at Yamaha he is going stir crazy....i will let you guys know when i get back on the road,, i just have a feeling this riding season will be over for me because the dealer here is a month out before he can even look at it. and at my age i dont have many riding seasons left..

Hey Jesse,

Keep the faith! Yamaha is gonna be running this bike for the next three or four years, even if it's a sales flop - they certainly don't want to have much negative publicity this early in the game, and they want to maintain their reputation as a company that supports its clients...that said, they probably won't give away what hasn't been asked for...check in with your states A.G. office to find out what protections you have, and maybe even call the office to ask a question or two, just so you can calmly say, "according to the A.G.'s office, this is what is required..." Lots of international companies have their contract, but they also know that state law is the final word. Work in stuff like, "on the Yamaha forums to which I post, there are lots of people who are interested in what this is all about..." At the same time, ask the dealer if he's been in contact with the regional rep. regarding your issue..."is this bike one of the units that was returned to the factory for a rebuild? Maybe it should have been?" (I can't prove that, but I have read about here and on other forums) Tell them you're significantly alarmed and concerned, but don't show it.

Good luck; we're pulling for you, and because, to a significant degree, what you are doing is pulling for us!

Keep the faith! "Resolve this issue, WE will!

Rich

Hey Jesse,

Keep the faith! Yamaha is gonna be running this bike for the next three or four years, even if it's a sales flop - they certainly don't want to have much negative publicity this early in the game, and they want to maintain their reputation as a company that supports its clients...that said, they probably won't give away what hasn't been asked for...check in with your states A.G. office to find out what protections you have, and maybe even call the office to ask a question or two, just so you can calmly say, "according to the A.G.'s office, this is what is required..." Lots of international companies have their contract, but they also know that state law is the final word. Work in stuff like, "on the Yamaha forums to which I post, there are lots of people who are interested in what this is all about..." At the same time, ask the dealer if he's been in contact with the regional rep. regarding your issue..."is this bike one of the units that was returned to the factory for a rebuild? Maybe it should have been?" (I can't prove that, but I have read about here and on other forums) Tell them you're significantly alarmed and concerned, but don't show it.

Good luck; we're pulling for you, and because, to a significant degree, what you are doing is pulling for us!

Keep the faith! "Resolve this issue, WE will!

Rich

thanks Rich,

much appreciated, I am going to try and find which dealer around here would be the best to take it to. I dont trust others working on my stuff and the dealer i bought it from is over a month out just to look at it...I poked around last night and the whole front end will have to come apart to be able to see where its leaking from if they can find it, o well it is what it is and I will keep you guys updated..

• 3 weeks later...

First time yamaha owner. Been riding since `77, Spent last 20 years on gl1500`s. Got the new 2018 TC two months ago and now have 6k on the clock. Been loving every mile. Its certainly a differnt ride and style, but again awesome. I found this site and been reading about these issues. The previous oil leaks i was reading about came from the front at the oil cooler connection, is this possibly the same or a different leak altogether? Should i be concerned that yamaha wont fix what i would consider a major issue? Or did a worker have too much sake on karaoke thurday night and jr333`s bike was the first one up on thr line friday morning? Just saying...

First time yamaha owner. Been riding since `77, Spent last 20 years on gl1500`s. Got the new 2018 TC two months ago and now have 6k on the clock. Been loving every mile. Its certainly a differnt ride and style, but again awesome. I found this site and been reading about these issues. The previous oil leaks i was reading about came from the front at the oil cooler connection, is this possibly the same or a different leak altogether? Should i be concerned that yamaha wont fix what i would consider a major issue? Or did a worker have too much sake on karaoke thurday night and jr333`s bike was the first one up on thr line friday morning? Just saying...

I have over 7000 miles on mine now and am not worried. If it hasn't started leaking oil in that amount of miles it probably will remain that way. Not uncommon to have a bad part on a new machine every once in awhile.

Edited by sldunker

Yamaha came through for me. I picked up my New (2nd) star venture last week and have been riding as much as I can. What a smooth ride compared to my Victory Vision with plenty of low end torque and the brakes are awesome. No oil leaking on this bike! Its been a long wait from the time I discovered the oil leak and left the bike at the dealer, until now getting another bike. Yamaha determined the engine case was defective.

Yamaha came through for me. I picked up my New (2nd) star venture last week and have been riding as much as I can. What a smooth ride compared to my Victory Vision with plenty of low end torque and the brakes are awesome. No oil leaking on this bike! Its been a long wait from the time I discovered the oil leak and left the bike at the dealer, until now getting another bike. Yamaha determined the engine case was defective.

Outstanding! Maintaining my faith in the Star that goes back to 1993. Enjoy the ride!