IGNORED

SF Bay area, E. Bay Need Gen 1 help

I have a 1983 Venture, with front cylinders at 90-100 lbs. Bike barely runs. Was stored 10 years. Best guess is intake valves sticking, Would there be anyone who could take a look at this bike and suggest options? Thanks.

Dan

The piston rings could be sticking. Or it just may need a rebuild. How many miles on this engine?

When checking compression, if it is low, squirt some oil into the cylinder and recheck. If the compression goes up, the rings may be worn out or stuck. If the compression does not go up, adjust the valves. The adjustment may be out of tolerance or the valves may be burned.

I have a 1983 Venture, with front cylinders at 90-100 lbs. Bike barely runs. Was stored 10 years. Best guess is intake valves sticking, Would there be anyone who could take a look at this bike and suggest options? Thanks.

Dan

Don't despair we seen this many times and I have had success with this approach.

Burnt valves would be a much lower result than 90.

What are the rear numbers?

Follow the link below

Patch https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?137296-A-Case-for-Fogging&highlight=case+fogging

Huh??? 1st gen is '83 - '93 Venture and Venture Royale.

2nd gen forum is Royal Star and Royal Star Venture, the Ventures being '99 - 2013...

Well Bongo this is what happens when I post past my bedtime!

The piston rings could be sticking. Or it just may need a rebuild. How many miles on this engine?

When checking compression, if it is low, squirt some oil into the cylinder and recheck. If the compression goes up, the rings may be worn out or stuck. If the compression does not go up, adjust the valves. The adjustment may be out of tolerance or the valves may be burned.

Bike has 26K miles. Everything else is healthy. I may be able to run it on 2 cylinders for the event at Black Rock Desert, 4th of July. I just want to try the sidecar idea. I don't plan to ride on the street.

Bluesky is right, finding these old rides with such low mileage is worth the effort.

Very likely stuck rings. The lower the piston sits years on end the deeper the taper effect , the tighter the rings move into the landings. Many times on disassembly we find the pistons lay to one side when rested at the top and the ring can stick out away from the outward side of the V angle.

I am going to leave out this answers for kick starting some thought to why pistons floating equally delivers more power.

Time and distance are a set values

valve timing a set value

Displacement a known potential

ignition timing is venerable so advance before TDC now break down what exactly TDC is. Remember the piston is not centered, the clearance between wall and piston is not equal, the rings can not lock compression, advance is wasted on stuck rings cause compression heat is to low. TDC the piston then......... 2 positions are now off center (do you know what is the second out of position is) and the result maybe heard as

P...... S......

Somethin to think about

Patch