IGNORED

Question for those who have used Carbon One's jack adapter

Sylvester was nice enough to sell his jack adapter plate to me. Thanks Sylvester! I think it is one made by Carbon One. I tried to put it on the bike today and the kickstand spring keeps the rod from aligning with the adapter hole on the left side. It appears I have to remove the spring (no easy task because it's a very strong spring) on the kickstand or get a big hammer and dent the adapter.

What has been the experience with you guys who own and have used this jack adapter?

Guest divey
Sylvester was nice enough to sell his jack adapter plate to me. Thanks Sylvester! I think it is one made by Carbon One. I tried to put it on the bike today and the kickstand spring keeps the rod from aligning with the adapter hole on the left side. It appears I have to remove the spring (no easy task because it's a very strong spring) on the kickstand or get a big hammer and dent the adapter.

What has been the experience with you guys who own and have used this jack adapter?

I don’t recall that the placement of the spring was ever an issue but I always had to get down on the ground on the underside to bend the rod just slightly for it to line up with the hole. Are you certain the spring is attached properly? I know it’s a pain to take on and off as I replaced my side stand bolt once. Don’t use the plate anymore as I’ve got a trike. Doug

If yours is like mine it will not foul the spring.

1.jpg

2.jpg

If you HAVE to take off the spring, stick a dime into each coil then put the kickstand up and the spring will fall off.

I also have a Carbon One lift adapter and the spring does not get in the way.

Just like Divey said in his post, I also have to lay down to get the rod to fit thru the ring hole on the other side by doing some twisting and pushing of the rod, but it always goes in.

Best of luck

I dented the spot where the spring was touching and still couldn't get the rod inserted. So, I drilled the 3/8" holes in the adapter to 1/2" and the rod inserts like it should now. But, now I have to find the air valves so I can pump up the suspension. It's too low for the jack to fit under the adapter as it sits right now. Looks like I need to buy a hand pump. My air compressor would fill the shock/fork legs too quickly I'm sure.

Edited by BlueSky

If yours is like mine it will not foul the spring.

If you HAVE to take off the spring, stick a dime into each coil then put the kickstand up and the spring will fall off.

Thanks for the tip. Mine is a little different and it has attachable legs.

Edited by BlueSky

I dented the spot where the spring was touching and still couldn't get the rod inserted. So, I drilled the 3/8" holes in the adapter to 1/2" and the rod inserts like it should now. But, now I have to find the air valves so I can pump up the suspension. It's too low for the jack to fit under the adapter as it sits right now.

Stick a 2 X 4 under your kickstand and it will give you the room to get the jack under the bike with the adapter already attached to the bike.

I had a Carbon One adapter when I had my Venture, it also was the style with the legs you would slide it and bolt after the bike was up.

I always inserted the pin from the right side, on the first attempt I had to slightly bend the tab on the left side of the bike to get the pin to go through it and I always had to put some pressure on the middle of the pin as I was trying to get it into the left tab to slightly bend it or it would never align.

I would put a 2 x 8 under the kickstand to get enough room to side the jack under awith the adapter stand attached to the bike. Once the jack started to lift the bike it would naturally settle flat onto the jack adapter and all was good.

If you need to pump up the rear shock and the front forks, only use a zero loss hand pump, I had two, one for the front shocks o to 30 psi range or so and then the higher pressure one I used on my Bustec trailer shocks for the rear. Never try to use a compressor on these, way to much volume and pressure for the job.

I dented the spot where the spring was touching and still couldn't get the rod inserted. So, I drilled the 3/8" holes in the adapter to 1/2" and the rod inserts like it should now. But, now I have to find the air valves so I can pump up the suspension. It's too low for the jack to fit under the adapter as it sits right now. Looks like I need to buy a hand pump. My air compressor would fill the shock/fork legs too quickly I'm sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZY529X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got this one at Amazon. It works well. Nice and small but quickly and easily pumps up to 70psi. I haven't had it long enough to rate it's durability.

I also had that issue. I had to make the hole on the spring side a little larger with a dremel tool. Maybe 3/16 or less just to one side. Also i found if i put a chunk of brick (patio paver thickness) under the stand it also helps with aligning the jack after the adapter goes on. My jack tends to hit the kick stand before it centers under the bike otherwise.

Stick a 2 X 4 under your kickstand and it will give you the room to get the jack under the bike with the adapter already attached to the bike.

I tried holding the bike upright and there still isn't enough clearance. So, I suspect the forks and rear shock have zero air pressure. The original owner probably never pumped them up. Off to Walmart to see what air pumps they have.

Even with the shocks at zero pressure, you should be able to get a lift under the bike using the 2x4 under the kick stand. Interesting. I would buy one of those progressive pumps. They have an accurate guage and are no loss during disconnect. In the meantime, a bike tire pump will work fine on rear. Only the rear needs to be pumped for lift.

I have the stand and find I lay under right side and lift it up. Wiggling until it finds the right spot... Then the rod slides in.

I tried holding the bike upright and there still isn't enough clearance. So, I suspect the forks and rear shock have zero air pressure. The original owner probably never pumped them up. Off to Walmart to see what air pumps they have.

Ok, I am starting to wonder if I should offer further assistance because I don't want you getting into trouble if you are not mechanically inclined.

Pumping the rear suspension up will raise seat height but not swingarm height. May change the angle a little but not much. Pumping up the forks may give you a little height but not much.

Carefully push the bike onto two separate boards one for the front wheel and one for the rear wheel and have your board ready at kickstand position. This will give you the height in the middle to get your jack under the bike.

Has it been lowered?

I don't think so. The original owner said the bike was just like he bought it new except that he added the luggage rack and back rest. But he may have forgotten. He's an old coot too! Ha!

Anyway, Success! After pumping up the tires to max pressure, pumping up the rear shock to about 35 psig (all I dared with my air compressor), the jack still would not quite go under the adapter. I removed the rubber pads from the jack and then it went under. So now the bike is in the air! Yay! And the adapter legs are installed. Thanks to all who offered suggestions!

Denting the adapter to clear the kickstand spring and drilling the adapter rod holes from 3/8" to 1/2" was the right thing to do in my case to get the adapter rod through all the holes. If I had a helper to tap on the rod while I held the adapter up and bent the rod as much as I could with my hand, I could have gotten the rod through the last hole in the adapter but no helper. Drilling the holes was the right thing to do. The adapter is held snugly against the frame. And the next time the installatiion will be very easy.

Edited by BlueSky

Pumping the rear suspension up will raise seat height but not swingarm height. May change the angle a little but not much. Pumping up the forks may give you a little height but not much.

Carefully push the bike onto two separate boards one for the front wheel and one for the rear wheel and have your board ready at kickstand position. This will give you the height in the middle to get your jack under the bike.

The adapter is not under the swingarm and pumping up the rear shock made a big difference. I went to Walmart and they did not have a zero loss pump and the bicycle shops don't carry one either. I didn't want to wait for an order to come and I didn't want to buy one without the zero loss feature.

The board idea is a good one. That's basically what i did with the ZN700 when I replaced the rear tire last week. I have 3, 3/4" layers of chip board nailed together cut into 3 pieces. I pushed the bike up on them and pulled out the front and rear pieces with it on its center stand on the middle piece. That gave me about 6" of clearance to remove the rear tire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZY529X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got this one at Amazon. It works well. Nice and small but quickly and easily pumps up to 70psi. I haven't had it long enough to rate it's durability.

Thanks, but that one has a 300 psi gauge. It probably wouldn't be that useful for the front forks that have a maximum pressure rating of 7.1 psig.