BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: dead battery-low idle-1st Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarl View Post
    A full battery should read 12.6 volts or better, 12.4 is not so good.
    Your charging system should hold things at normal at a stop, so no lower than 12.6 unless there are loads other than OEM.
    Your idle can easily be increased by turning the thumb screw located between carbs 1 and 2 behind/underneath the carb joining bar. Hard to see and once you find it it's easiest to turn with your 2 forefingers. Idle should be at 900rpm.
    Would you be so kind as to upload a picture of a 1st generation thumb idle screw as I can't seem to find it

Canada
    BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven G. View Post
    Ok good post.

the low voltage readings may be a symptom not the problem.
    If you did not turn the idle down your self then the low idle is a symptom of partially clogged pilot jets! Or you may have cylinders not firing?

1st thing you should report back to us and enter into your log is ignition coil voltage key on only - then compare that to the battery voltage for all 4 as this measurement takes a couple of minutes to complete and the battery is being drained by the acc and lights! You may want to pull the head light fuse.
    Hard starting can be directly linked to low voltage readings at the coils when engine is cold!

Then check to make certain that all 4 exhaust pipes heat equally, you could use something like spray bottle contain water, should boil off on impact say within 3 minutes.

Next thing is to run some carb cleaner thru the system, how you choose to do that is your choice. The reason it may help is cause, perhaps the jets are only partially clogged, if they are solid then only a tear down works.

Lets us know if you need any step by step instructions
    Patch
    If you can link me to step by step instructions for ignition coil voltage that would be great. I'll check my plugs and boil the water on my pipes this weekend. I'll be running seafoam carb cleaner today.

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    622 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Would you be so kind as to upload a picture of a 1st generation thumb idle screw as I can't seem to find it
    hot off the press just for you Chris!

Remembering my brother and friend:
    "I'm not Yammer Dan" - Yammer Dan
    Proverbs 18:24 - "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother"..
    Miss you bro - Puc
    Life is just one step after another..on a rocky hill side-Sly

4. Thanks Steven G. gave thanks for this post
    Likes videoarizona, Steven G. liked this post
    United States
    TN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12.15V after 2 days is way too low. Charge the battery fully. You can't read the voltage immediately after charging because the battery has what's called a surface charge and the voltage will be high (probably around 13 volts).

If the battery drops to near 12.15 volts again after 2 days, you either have a bad battery OR you have a current drain on your motorcycle. To determine which you have, you can disconnect the negative battery cable and read the battery voltage. Let it sit another day and it should be nearly the same. If it still goes lower with the battery disconnected, you have a bad battery. You can also measure the current draw with a meter.

It's not good to store a battery with anything less than a full charge because the battery will sulfate and it's capacity will be reduced.

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris you should complete your profile, helps to know which old girl you are riding.

Canada
    BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frankd View Post
    12.15V after 2 days is way too low. Charge the battery fully. You can't read the voltage immediately after charging because the battery has what's called a surface charge and the voltage will be high (probably around 13 volts).

If the battery drops to near 12.15 volts again after 2 days, you either have a bad battery OR you have a current drain on your motorcycle. To determine which you have, you can disconnect the negative battery cable and read the battery voltage. Let it sit another day and it should be nearly the same. If it still goes lower with the battery disconnected, you have a bad battery. You can also measure the current draw with a meter.

It's not good to store a battery with anything less than a full charge because the battery will sulfate and it's capacity will be reduced.
    With the battery pulled and sitting on a rug (not cement floor) it started at 12.65 and then 12.45 the following day and this morning I think it was 12.38 but I wasn't awake enough to remember what I saw but it was under 12.45v
    I got this battery in August last year and only rode it for 2 weeks before pulling it for the winter. Not impressed that now I want to use it, it looks like I bought a dud. Probably out of warranty.
    Thanks for your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12