User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First start (attempt} of the season. Lotsa gas!

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First start (attempt} of the season. Lotsa gas!

So tried (key word here is tried) to start her up today and after many cranks I have fuel pouring out of the carbs. Flooded big time? She just wouldn't catch.
    Thoughts?

Thomas
    MIDICAT
    1985 Venture Royale
    I started out with NOTHING, I still have most of it left!

Hidden Content

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: First start (attempt} of the season. Lotsa gas!

Here's where it's dripping out. Sorry pic is sideways.

Thomas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190606_192634.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	116618
    MIDICAT
    1985 Venture Royale

Hidden Content

United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drain the float bowls and catch the fuel out of each one separate. See how much crud comes out
    rodney swailesHidden Content

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is fuel pouring out of all four carbs? It's probably due to the fuel needle leaking. Be careful. You don't want to hydrolock the engine. I agree with draining the carbs maybe several times to see if the crud under the seat will flush out.
    2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture 23k miles
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale 6k miles
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft 5k miles

United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Through the overflow tube? it's hard to see in the pic. I believe even one stuck needle valve will send enough raw fuel through the overflow tubes to overwhelm the other carbs too, aside from leaking out externally. If the above guidance does not get you on the road then you should be able to remove the overflow tube set and see which specific carb/s are actually flooding. That might be handy if you get the carbs out and see nothing to indicate any issues.

If the above does not work and the problem persists it may become necessary to slide (see how easy I made that sound) the carb rack out. I would venture to say that if it was stored all winter with ethanol then you may have to manually scrape and blow the crap out of each carb. If no ethanol then maybe a few taps with a screwdriver handle and some fresh fuel/seafoam will loosen her up a bit.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First pour a can of carb cleaner into the tank, don't be cheap. use it all. Then drain the carbs, all of them, and then refill with the fuel pump. Do this about 3 -4 times. Let it sit for a few hours. Take out all the plugs and wind it over a few time, maybe 10 is a good number. After a few hours try the fuel production again. If all is good, install new plugs.
    Did you book your spot yet? Do it now!!
    716 778 8568
    July 16-19th 2020
    Hidden Content

7. Likes CaseyJ955 liked this post
    United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarl View Post
    First pour a can of carb cleaner into the tank, don't be cheap. use it all. Then drain the carbs, all of them, and then refill with the fuel pump. Do this about 3 -4 times. Let it sit for a few hours. Take out all the plugs and wind it over a few time, maybe 10 is a good number. After a few hours try the fuel production again. If all is good, install new plugs.
    Don't you think he should be careful what "carb cleaner" is put into the tank? I recommend Gumout for high mileage engines with PEA fuel injector cleaner. It works and it doesn't harm the carb. I'm sure there are many others.
    2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture 23k miles
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale 6k miles
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft 5k miles

9. Thanks videoarizona gave thanks for this post
    United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last month I was in Phoenix and stopped by my friend's house to start the RSV. She had been sitting for a while. Started up but ran rough. Then noticed gas pouring out onto the garage floor in the front. Shut her down and tapped on the left front carb bowl. Started up much better and no fuel flowing on the floor. Stuck float valve.

Threw in some Seafoam and ran her up and down the street. She runs fine now. Doesn't take much...and I try hard to keep that scoot's carbs clean and keep Stabil in the tank over the summer hiatus as we don't ride much in 110 degree heat.

This past week, I started her up for her bi-monthly start and she started perfectly and ran fine.

So, yep....drain the bowls a few times. If that doesn't do the trick, put some cleaner in there by squirting it up into the bowl from the drain. cowpuc came up with this way of cleaning out the bowl and that can also flush the float valve seat...
    USAF
    AFRTS Turkey
    1970-1973
    Patriot Guard
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." - Well worn saying
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I done got the summons,, woke me up out of a sound sleep where I was dreaming of CTFW across the vast regions of VAz land,, shoulda known it was videoarizona who would be behind waking me up

Yep, draining the bowls, pulling the slides, filling the bowls thru the drains with spray carb cleaner (Seafoam has never preformed for me) by filling a syringe with cleaner and then pushing the cleaner into the bowls with the syringe till it runs out of t he main jets/emultion tubes and then closing the drains to let em soak has been my MO for years.. 2nded only in carb cleaning to pulling the carbs, tearing em down and cleaning them the right way in my experience = IMHO of course..
    Bottom line though Midi,, to my untrained, thick skulled brain,, I/we dont have enough info here to really be able to access the issue.. In attempting to decipher the photo you supplied, it occurred to me that I may very well be looking at the left hand side (kick stand side) of the bike (think I may see the shift linkage there?). If so, that is also the side where your fuel pump is located. I have had occasion in times past that the fuel filter cracked (could also be a hose) and gas would flow out as shown. A cracked line at the output of the pump could also easily cause this. The overflow line exits for the carb bowls are suppose to be located directly infront of the mono/suspention and there should be 4 of them. If its a carb needle/seat that is stuck, causing the bowl(s) to over flow, you should be able to locate those drain lines and determine which/how many bowl(s) are over flowing just by looking at those lines.
    ANother possiblity is that you will have raw fuel coming out of an air access hole located at the top of a carb venturi. Pulling the air filter and looking down into the carbs will instantly reveal this to you if this is the case. Of course, its also possible you have a cracked line on top of the carbs..
    I think if I were you I would roll the bike to an area that will not cause fuel fumes issues () and begin the process of narrowing it down to exactly where the fuel is draining from. I would not attempt to start the bike until this is done cause the last thing you need is to hydrolock er and ruin an engine..
    Any of that make sense?
    Remembering my brother and friend:
    "I'm not Yammer Dan" - Yammer Dan
    Proverbs 18:24 - "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother"..
    Miss you bro - Puc
    Life is just one step after another..on a rocky hill side-Sly

12. Likes videoarizona, Steven G. liked this post
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be wrong but I see a spray pattern? If that is so then I would check the tubing from the pump to the carbs.

14. Likes videoarizona liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: First start (attempt} of the season. Lotsa gas! UPDATE

While I truly appreciate all of your input folks. You were all talking like I know what a float bowl is, let alone what it looks like.
    I reached out to Marcarl for his guidance and his assistance with my dilemma. After a CAA ride to Carl's and a push up the driveway into his garage it took him about 15 mins to get her purring like a kitten.
    I really believe that she missed Carl and just wanted to go for a visit. That man has "the touch". I'm sure it helps that he owned the identical year as mine.
    Many many thanks to all of you for your assistance and also to Carl for being a Venture Whisperer.

Thomas
    MIDICAT
    1985 Venture Royale

Hidden Content

16. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc, videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Midicat View Post
    While I truly appreciate all of your input folks. You were all talking like I know what a float bowl is, let alone what it looks like.
    I reached out to Marcarl for his guidance and his assistance with my dilemma. After a CAA ride to Carl's and a push up the driveway into his garage it took him about 15 mins to get her purring like a kitten.
    I really believe that she missed Carl and just wanted to go for a visit. That man has "the touch". I'm sure it helps that he owned the identical year as mine.
    Many many thanks to all of you for your assistance and also to Carl for being a Venture Whisperer.

Thomas
    OUTSTANDING MIDI,,, now get out there and CTFW for endless enjoyable hours so you and your scoot and regroup on your bonding !!!
    Marcarl,, THANK YOU for being there brother = YOU DA MAN!!! That compliment is gonna cost ya though ya lop eared Kanuckian magic fingered varmint = curious minds are awaiting for you to tell us what you found = come on,, give it up,, spill the beans
    Remembering my brother and friend:
    "I'm not Yammer Dan" - Yammer Dan
    Proverbs 18:24 - "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother"..
    Miss you bro - Puc
    Life is just one step after another..on a rocky hill side-Sly

18. Likes Steven G. liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    OUTSTANDING MIDI,,, now get out there and CTFW for endless enjoyable hours so you and your scoot and regroup on your bonding !!!
    Marcarl,, THANK YOU for being there brother = YOU DA MAN!!! That compliment is gonna cost ya though ya lop eared Kanuckian magic fingered varmint = curious minds are awaiting for you to tell us what you found = come on,, give it up,, spill the beans
    It wasa rather simple really, something anybody in their right mind could've played with and got screwed up. So that was the problem, trying to find somebody with a right mind, and Midi was lucky enough to have caught me at a time when both my left and right minds were out. One was lost and the other was out lookin for it, and then the Cat showed up all crying his eyes out because his baby was not being very sparky and seemed to have lost all desire to go out chasing others of the same breed. It turned out that the major,, not saying there was anything minor or anything major, that being opposed to really the minor,,, now I got myself confused,,, darn!!! lets start again!! So the issue was plain and simple, left overs from the marriage last year!!!yes sir, didn't take all that long to figure it out neither,, you should have seen that thing wobble when it arrived, could hardly make it into the garage with 3 guys pushing and holding it up straight. Took only a few minutes of kindly talking to it, massaging it a bit and removing a side cover so that fresh air could enter into the bowels. Nothing like a breath of fresh air to get the drunkenness removed. Happens when your boss gets married and he leaves you alone to contemplate the future of things, you find leftovers to drink and soon enough it becomes a regular diet, Takes a little boink on the heart of things to set the record straight once more.
    Good to have her going as easy as it was,,, enjoy it Thomas.
    Did you book your spot yet? Do it now!!
    716 778 8568
    July 16-19th 2020
    Hidden Content

20. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasa rather simple really, something anybody in their right mind could've played with and got screwed up. So that was the problem, trying to find somebody with a right mind, and Midi was lucky enough to have caught me at a time when both my left and right minds were out. One was lost and the other was out lookin for it, and then the Cat showed up all crying his eyes out because his baby was not being very sparky and seemed to have lost all desire to go out chasing others of the same breed. It turned out that the major,, not saying there was anything minor or anything major, that being opposed to really the minor,,, now I got myself confused,,, darn!!! lets start again!! So the issue was plain and simple, left overs from the marriage last year!!!yes sir, didn't take all that long to figure it out neither,, you should have seen that thing wobble when it arrived, could hardly make it into the garage with 3 guys pushing and holding it up straight. Took only a few minutes of kindly talking to it, massaging it a bit and removing a side cover so that fresh air could enter into the bowels. Nothing like a breath of fresh air to get the drunkenness removed. Happens when your boss gets married and he leaves you alone to contemplate the future of things, you find leftovers to drink and soon enough it becomes a regular diet, Takes a little boink on the heart of things to set the record straight once more.
    Does that mean you don't know?
    I sure hope you washed your hands before and after this operation?
    What the heck were you all indulging in at Don's freeforall?
    And where is Carl?

22. Likes rbig1 liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, that's a pretty accurate summary!
    MIDICAT
    1985 Venture Royale

Hidden Content

24. Likes cowpuc liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast