IGNORED

New guy with a new 2020 TC ...

Wow...what a nice bike!!...doesn't feel half it's size really. Handles easily, smooth and comfortable 2 up or not, powerful, corners, braking, responsive, not real hot, air flow control, suspension, exhaust note will open up after awhile so what's not to like ? ... to start with my GPS is frozen and the radio fades in and out quickly at speed can't even listen to a song I know...lol

The problem is not that I've only had the bike over a couple weeks and the dealer is clueless and Yamaha seems to ignore me, it's the fact that I have the same head unit as the first 2018 from a year and a half ago that I have read about GPS issues even on this forum and they still can't figure the thing out ???..really ???

So I'm wondering if everybody got the GPS issues figured out? I know one guy I think from this forum that bought a Garmin so he could go on a trip. I'm just not willing to do that because I paid large for the head unit to be included in perfect working order especially after the trouble with the 2018's, I'd sooner give the bike back...seriously guys, I'm depressed, Yamaha is not getting me going here...

I'm guessing that if everybody does not have the problem then only some of the head units are bad so give me another and at least try something. The radio fade has never happened on any of my other bikes in the same area and stations. I did read here that the antenna's are right and left only and mine were mixed up but even now I still have the fade issue.

Has anyone got a comment to help me fix my GPS that I could try ?

Wow...what a nice bike!!...doesn't feel half it's size really. Handles easily, smooth and comfortable 2 up or not, powerful, corners, braking, responsive, not real hot, air flow control, suspension, exhaust note will open up after awhile so what's not to like ? ... to start with my GPS is frozen and the radio fades in and out quickly at speed can't even listen to a song I know...lol

The problem is not that I've only had the bike over a couple weeks and the dealer is clueless and Yamaha seems to ignore me, it's the fact that I have the same head unit as the first 2018 from a year and a half ago that I have read about GPS issues even on this forum and they still can't figure the thing out ???..really ???

So I'm wondering if everybody got the GPS issues figured out? I know one guy I think from this forum that bought a Garmin so he could go on a trip. I'm just not willing to do that because I paid large for the head unit to be included in perfect working order especially after the trouble with the 2018's, I'd sooner give the bike back...seriously guys, I'm depressed, Yamaha is not getting me going here...

I'm guessing that if everybody does not have the problem then only some of the head units are bad so give me another and at least try something. The radio fade has never happened on any of my other bikes in the same area and stations. I did read here that the antenna's are right and left only and mine were mixed up but even now I still have the fade issue.

Has anyone got a comment to help me fix my GPS that I could try ?

Greetings JR,

Thought I would chime in, I have experienced the fade issues with the stereo but no issues yet with the GPS. I did find that if i turned down the bass on the stereo to -1 or -2 then the fade quite. I think it was trying to drive the speakers too hard and causing a type of overload condition which is why it was fading in and out. At any rate, I hope somone else can help you out with your GPS issues. Have you tried updating the Nav?

Greetings JR,

Thought I would chime in, I have experienced the fade issues with the stereo but no issues yet with the GPS. I did find that if i turned down the bass on the stereo to -1 or -2 then the fade quite. I think it was trying to drive the speakers too hard and causing a type of overload condition which is why it was fading in and out. At any rate, I hope somone else can help you out with your GPS issues. Have you tried updating the Nav?

Thanks for your reply...

I took a nice easy ride today nothing over 100kph (60mph) and the radio was actually not bad. I was having severe issues around 70 mph and above. Before I left though I did set the tone to zero, it was 2 or 3 ticks to the bass side and I thought it was much better today but then it was a slow ride. I'll try it some more but now listening to you here, I'm thinking I know why the head unit has provision for an external speaker amp. I bet just using my headset there would be no issue at all. Good... so that might be fixed. Almost bought the Indian...if you want tunes at any speed that bike will make you happy.

The GPS has R12.0.6 I believe is the latest update. The screen shows North America and the pointer has me within 100 miles of about where I should be on the left coast of Canada but that's it.

Almost sounds like the audio is being muted by wind noises. Cb squelch ? Intercom ?

Sorry I missed your reply, I thought I'd get an email if someone posted to my problem.

That's another couple things I can try, Thanks for that.

My dealer made me an appointment for this coming Thursday so I hope they get it done....

Sorry I missed your reply, I thought I'd get an email if someone posted to my problem.

That's another couple things I can try, Thanks for that.

My dealer made me an appointment for this coming Thursday so I hope they get it done....

new to this forum,but I did see a post from another which shows the GPS set-up steps in a manual.

You already have the 2020 in Canada? I thought/think it's not being released in the lower 48 until November....

new to this forum,but I did see a post from another which shows the GPS set-up steps in a manual.

You already have the 2020 in Canada? I thought/think it's not being released in the lower 48 until November....

Yes, 2020 for sure that I have, serial number is an L.

I wish the GPS had a hard RESET because it seems the dealer tried to load my GPS and failed so when I try to update the GPS I get an error message stating the code has been used... get another code. Yamaha will not issue me a new key code saying that I will have to wait for an update meanwhile it looks to me on this forum that everybody got their GPS working....

If it helps, I met "Long Haul Paul" (3w's dot longhaulpaul dot com) at the Laconia Rally in NH. last weekend. He had a Garmin on the the dash of his SVTC, and commented that for routes and travel info, his phone is actually the best of his three units. "...but I'm always checking routes, so I use all three at the same time...."

I pretty much agree with him. My phone is much easier to put a destination in that the NAV system OR a Garmin. I never use the NAV system on the bike or even in my vehicles. That being said, If it was not working correctly after I paid so much for a bike, I would still expect it to be repaired.

If it helps, I met "Long Haul Paul" (3w's dot longhaulpaul dot com) at the Laconia Rally in NH. last weekend. He had a Garmin on the the dash of his SVTC, and commented that for routes and travel info, his phone is actually the best of his three units. "...but I'm always checking routes, so I use all three at the same time...."[/quote

yeah...there's always a work around but for the money it should work. Yamaha is pretty impressed with the unit as stated here if you scroll down a little ....

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details-build-price.php?model=5225&group=MC&catId=1

For myself I have used a few GPS units but in this case I paid enough money that I shouldn't have to have two on this bike, if the cruise quits I'll get that fixed instead of buying a throttle lock, and if the trunk won't stay closed i won't be using a bungee cord for very long. My 700.00 phone is not going in the rain or velcroed to the handle bar, it will stay safe for in case I really need it. I also have a H.O.G. map to find the roads I really want and then just program

I pretty much agree with him. My phone is much easier to put a destination in that the NAV system OR a Garmin. I never use the NAV system on the bike or even in my vehicles. That being said, If it was not working correctly after I paid so much for a bike, I would still expect it to be repaired.

I have used a few Garmin units and overall very pleased especially compared to Google when you consider data charges in the USA for Canadians. The way Yamaha emphasizes the technology and comfort of these bikes at the price point I would like to say the stuff had better work