IGNORED

Do you use the Reverse?

One feature that I had never had on a motorcycle was the reverse. I always thought it would come in handy at times. Though we learn to avoid it, most of us have pulled straight into a parking spot at one time or another that was on a downward slope and made it difficult to back out. So I was somewhat excited to buy a bike with reverse.

Though I still haven't put many miles on my SVTC, I think I have only used the reverse one time and that was just to try it out. I just find it much faster to push the bike back like I always have. Also, the manual states that the reverse/parking assist is only designed to be used on level ground which totally defeats the scenario that I outlined above.

So do you use the reverse? If so, do you use it on a slope to get out of a downward parking spot as I outlined above?

I'm not in your category I'm sure, and I bet you never thought that I might reply to your question and screw things up. So my answer is, YES, I use reverse all the time, how else would a feller back up a Spyder.

Now back to regular programming.

I thought the same as Freebird about reverse but I find I rarely use it. I have been pretty cautious about where I park on all of my bikes that don't have reverse. Always looking for that perfect spot that is easy in, easy out. For a 960 pound bike this thing backs easy with using just my legs. It is nice to have 'just in case'.

Although I am not riding one of the new Ventures, my Goldwing has reverse on it, I also seldom use it, but it has been very handy to have on several occasions, especially in those dirt or rock filled parking lots you find at some of the out of the way places that have good food. Slipping on a rock has nearly landed the Hondapottomus on her side a few times, the reverse does away with that problem. I have also used it when backing up with my trailer, much easier to back the bike with reverse than by pushing when the trailer is attached.

One feature that I had never had on a motorcycle was the reverse. I always thought it would come in handy at times. Though we learn to avoid it, most of us have pulled straight into a parking spot at one time or another that was on a downward slope and made it difficult to back out. So I was somewhat excited to buy a bike with reverse.

Though I still haven't put many miles on my SVTC, I think I have only used the reverse one time and that was just to try it out. I just find it much faster to push the bike back like I always have. Also, the manual states that the reverse/parking assist is only designed to be used on level ground which totally defeats the scenario that I outlined above.

So do you use the reverse? If so, do you use it on a slope to get out of a downward parking spot as I outlined above?

Well I don’t have the new Venture, yet. But if I were in the right situation, you can bet your boots I’d use it. I don’t care if it’s uphill, down hill, or around the corner, or what the manual says. If I needed it for whatever the reason, I’d use it.

Just my two cents, PLEASE, spend it wisely.

Regardless of what the manual states, I will certainly use it if I ever get into one of those situations where I mess up and part on a downward slope. Most of us learned years ago to avoid those situations though. I assume, like me, that most of you have learned to back into those type of parking spots.

I use the reverse when needed.

When I accidentally pull into a slopped spot. Its also handy on gravel when the tire get stuck in an indent i did not notice.

The bike rolls pretty easy without the reverse. I think easier than the Gen 2 I had.

Enjoying the ride

Dave

Although I am not riding one of the new Ventures, my Goldwing has reverse on it, I also seldom use it, but it has been very handy to have on several occasions, especially in those dirt or rock filled parking lots you find at some of the out of the way places that have good food. Slipping on a rock has nearly landed the Hondapottomus on her side a few times, the reverse does away with that problem. I have also used it when backing up with my trailer, much easier to back the bike with reverse than by pushing when the trailer is attached.

:sign yeah that:

I use it almost every time I ride. I keep my bike in a small cargo trailer parked in a wheel chock. Reverse is MUCH easier than pushing it out of the chock. I use it to reduce the chance of dropping the bike when on gravel, sand, or any other service that might be loose. I had a Victory Vision before my Venture and had added reverse to it. I Love reverse on a touring bike.

I for one can think of MANY times thru the years that I wish Tweeks woulda had a reverse.. Like the time Tippy got to complaining about having to have to push Tweeks uphill to a gas station cause Tweeks drank all her go juice to soon.. I think it would have been wayyy cool to have had an electric reverse motor like the new SVTC has to use to back Tweeks up the hill backwards while Tippy walked beside us sipping on a water and video taping the episode.. There were lots of other times too but they all involve pretty much the same scenario (that Tweeks,, she LOVED playing the "watch me run of a gas" game) so no sense in repeating myself I reckon..

Come to think of it,,,, knowing the new bike has a forward reverse option where you can slow ride it in forward with the electric mtr,, THAT would have also been awesome.. Our new car is a Hybrid (60 mpg) that has got me hooked on forward motion under lectric power,,, I think I coulda handled Tweeks just fine WITHOUT Tippy even having to dismount if the 3 of us woulda had such fanciness back then...

I've used reverse quite a few times. Mostly when putting on / taking off the lift deck. It stopped once when taking it off the lift after squeezing the front brake when the front tire cleared the chalk. Other times (I'll write my full experience w/ the Venture from my 5K+ trip I just returned from) I used it when parked in up & downgrades w/o any problems. I did knowingly park in situations where I normally wouldn't w/o reverse. I know I can't get too comfortable w/ this because of riding other cycles. Yamaha is covering their butts w/ the statement even though they advertise using it in gravel situations.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the reverse to back into my garage. It's at a bit of slope and where the drive way meets the garage concrete I was worried about it stopping, but it rolls over all of it just fine. The way everything is configured I have have to pull on the little paver patio back up then roll forward then back up again. So I've used both of the options on the assisted rev/fwd.

Every day: my "garage" has a 10 foot, uphill slope to the entrance and I like to back it in. I did the "front-brake-bump-and-pull" for several years on my Royal and Road Stars. Then I just couldn't do it anymore without risking a fall, a back injury, or just plain too much work... What I love about the SV is that you pull the handle and you can do reverse or forward without any more fuss! If I remember correctly, the Wing requires a gear change to return to forward...?