IGNORED

No Clutch, now no start also!

Hi y'all, My first post and here we go. I was riding to work, went to down shift, no clutch! Whoa, I say Whoa! I forced the bike down into second (I think) and hit the brakes. This stalled the bike, in gear. I hit the starter switch and it started, took off and still no clutch ( lever was just flopping). Got to work, stopped the same way, this time bike would not start and all lights and dash were out. I rebuilt the master cylinder and clutch slave, still no pressure in clutch lever and no ignition or lights. Whats up with this?

First check your main fuse and the fluid level in the clutch reservoir.

If the reservoir has fluid in it then you need to bleed the system again and maybe check the rebuild for issues. If it's empty, you have a leak somewhere so you need to trace that down.

Check out the fuse with a multi-meter and let us know what you find.

I don't know diddle squat about the Royal Stars but :sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: :missingtooth:

Now if we were talkin one of my has been 1st Gens, I would probably start with making sure the scoot is in neutral, flip up the kick stand (got an interlock safety switch there) and hold pressure on the clutch lever so the lever is in the fully engaged position (it has an interlock too) to make sure my scoots safety switches are not what causing the bike to be electrically challenged. Those little switches can be a pain in the neck.

I would also suspect air in the hydraulic clutch system as to why the clutch went inoperable. Possibly a loss of fluid from the slave if the master ran dry. It does not take much of an air bubble in the system to produce an unproductive clutch system..

Thanks for the answers! Ok, I did check the fluid and it was full, though not new. So I drained out the old and started to flush with new dot 4. Still nothing. I then rebuilt the master cylinder. Still no clutch. Then I rebuilt the slave cylinder, bled system. Still no clutch. It never got any type of pressure in the lever. I did get air, then fluid out of bleeder, but, no clutch.

I thought the line was bad, so I have an SS line coming soon. We will try again.

Might try bleeding from the banjo at the master. If that dont work, maybe pull the line from the master, hold your finger over the banjo hole on the master and bleed off your finger there to see if you can get master piston fluid push against your finger (bleed the master) then, once you know the master is properly bled so its pumping against your finger tip, put the line back on and bleed from the banjo.. For the slave, I attach a clear line to the slave bleeder and drape it over the seat so I can see the fluid in it as I bleed. Also, having fluid building into the line keeps air from being drawn back into the slave as the air bubbles flow upwardly in the line.. Once ya get the hang of it its very easy to do..

Thanks Cowpuc and others! I have done all this and still nothing. So, when I get the SS line and put it on, I will begin again. I think it could be the rubber line near the master, I have fluid (no bubbles) at the bleeder on slave. I just don't have any pressure in the lever on MS.

You say you have fluid at the slave bleeder, but do you have pressure? Can you pump fluid out the slave bleeder from the Master handle?

Other thoughts. Did you make sure the teeny hole at the bottom of the Master is clear and not blocked?

There really isn't anything else in the system that would keep the clutch handle from pressurizing... Except a bad seal on the shaft in the Master (or not installed correctly), a blocked pressure relief hole or air still in there.

Regarding the no start issue..... Lots of things to think about there.

Clutch lever, brake lever, kickstand all have interlock switches to keep bike from starting. In addition there is the tip over switch, the ignition switch and, my favorite, the emergency stop switch.

If any of these are dirty, the bike won't start. If you've also lost dash, then I would look at the Master fuse located on the bottom left under the passenger foot rest. There is a small fuse box there in the RSVs... I'm assuming here that your bike is similar. That fuse area can get really gunked up from road stuff. Check the fuse there....

• 2 weeks later...

Now for an update! I put in a new battery and after cleaning the clutch switch, it started! I am waiting for the clutch slve cylinder to arrive, in mean time I put on new SS line. I have to do now is put on slave and bleed the clutch and I am back cruising.

Thanks to all who helped me out, what a great bunch you are!!

Ok, the final update to "no clutch/no start". The problem with starting was a bad battery, new one installed and bike starts! Now for the rest of the story; everyone who said buy a new slave cylinder (no rebuild ) were right. I did a rebuild, nothing worked. Bought a new slave cylinder and a new stainless steel clutch hose and after a bleeding of the system, all is well. It shifts like new.

Thanks to all ! This site rocks.