IGNORED

New Eluder Tire Info

--

At 11,250 miles, my OEM rear tire was close to bald in the center. I have a 9,000 mile trip coming up so....

I just got a new 205/55RF16 Bridgestone Driveguard on my Eluder. Fits just fine. No rubbing or bottoming out. My speedo seems to be right on now. My odometer reads about 1.7% over actual mileage. Measured with my gps.

I'm running 30# in it which seems to corner well and doesn't follow ridges in the road much at all. It does take noticeably more effort to make turns, but it's not a problem. It's a fun way to get upper arm exercise. :banana:

I also balanced it with 16oz. of Ride_On sealant/balancer. I do use a Hawkshead tpms which supposedly are pretty accurate. As to measuring, I talked to the manufacturer on accuracy. He said a number of folks have returned items they said were inaccurate, but when they tested them they were all spot on. He told me of the way they test. I mention this as my main gauge was compared to four different gauges from tire shops here in town. All said theirs was totally accurate. Not only were they all different from mine, but some were as much as 3# difference. At some point you have to decide who to believe. I decided on the $200. Hawkshead.

Along those lines, my tires heat up on a moderate day (75° today) about 4# when warm. So even if your bike is low a couple of # when you start out, you'll be over the cold normal pressure real soon. So maybe that cold pressure isn't as important as we like to think. One little pssst when putting the valve cap on can move the needle 1# sometimes.

--

--

At 11,250 miles, my OEM rear tire was close to bald in the center. I have a 9,000 mile trip coming up so....

I just got a new 205/55RF16 Bridgestone Driveguard on my Eluder. Fits just fine. No rubbing or bottoming out. My speedo seems to be right on now. My odometer reads about 1.7% over actual mileage. Measured with my gps.

I'm running 30# in it which seems to corner well and doesn't follow ridges in the road much at all. It does take noticeably more effort to make turns, but it's not a problem. It's a fun way to get upper arm exercise. :banana:

I also balanced it with 16oz. of Ride_On sealant/balancer. I do use a Hawkshead tpms which supposedly are pretty accurate. As to measuring, I talked to the manufacturer on accuracy. He said a number of folks have returned items they said were inaccurate, but when they tested them they were all spot on. He told me of the way they test. I mention this as my main gauge was compared to four different gauges from tire shops here in town. All said theirs was totally accurate. Not only were they all different from mine, but some were as much as 3# difference. At some point you have to decide who to believe. I decided on the $200. Hawkshead.

Along those lines, my tires heat up on a moderate day (75° today) about 4# when warm. So even if your bike is low a couple of # when you start out, you'll be over the cold normal pressure real soon. So maybe that cold pressure isn't as important as we like to think. One little pssst when putting the valve cap on can move the needle 1# sometimes.

--

Wildly fluctuating tire pressure.

Tires mounted using soap and WATER will experience wildly varying tire pressure. Soap/water destroys aluminum wheels even though dealers will say "gee we have never had a problem using it. That is because they have not seen 20 year old rims destroyed by soap mounting the tire. The water causes varying tire pressure and makes the use of nitrogen impossible.

Your tire, for your load range, for your bike, should not be heating up 40 degrees to cause a 4psi increase on a 75 degree day.

Dry your tires out. Deflate/inflate them once a week for the next few weeks and you will experience less varied tire pressure.

Next time use this stuff to mount your tires.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Tire_Lube_Paste_1_Pint_Jar_p/sp-lube-pint.htm

enclosed is a michelin tire bulliten about the explicit use of the correct tire lube.

MichelinTireLubeTB_Bulliten.pdf

I am hoping the ride-on does not contain water....

Edited by Du-Rron

--

I understand what you said, but the OEM m.c. tires used to heat up more # when hot than these do. I don't know if the Ride_On has much water in it, but it is used quite widely. If you are indicating that tires will not do this, then I will have to look into it as I know air will expand when heated. If it's a real problem, then there is an industry wide problem.

--

--

If it's a real problem, then there is an industry wide problem.

--

That is what I am trying to tell you. It has always been an industry wide problem. My dealership that is multi-brand and has a zillion dollar building was still mounting tires using soap and water until I threw a hissy fit about three years ago.

Discount Tire (in my city) uses a tire lube for all tires that is loaded into all their machines that says right on the bottle, "NOT FOR USE ON ALUMINUM WHEELS".

Michelin thought enough about this problem several years ago to produce a TSB about it and this was for shops mounting $1800.00 tires on $3500.00 Alcoa wheels.

Hamfistednes is everywhere.

here is another article if you choose to read it.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a3894/nitrogen-in-tires/

I would be concerned with TPMS and tire goo inside. Air does not "expand", but the moisture in regular compressed air heats up and expands. Thats what the big sell is on nitrogen filled tires. It is a "dry compressed" gas so no expanding. We use to have compressors on the flightline we used on the aircraft. They had dryers on them prior to compressing.