IGNORED

TCI Relocate done today

Thought I'd share a pic of my newly completed TCI relocate job today. For the benefit of others who are considering this, here's what I did:

1. Removed battery, battery box and complete air box. There's two bolts holding on the battery box, 10mm. The air box has two hoses coming up and connecting to the bottom, so expect them when you're trying to pull the lower box from the carbs.

2. I used the ol' hacksaw blade method of removing the TCI. I was relocating it anyway, so I didn't bother with trying to remove it via the hard-to-get-to screws on the bottom. I simply ran my hacksaw blade along the channel that you'll see at the top of the mounting tabs. I cut nearly all the way through but you probably won't get 100%. I snapped it off the tabs with a flat blade screwdriver.

3. I unplugged and cleaned the contacts. I removed the lid to the TCI and baked the unit in my stovetop oven using the convection setting at 200-degrees F for 90-minutes. This was to completely dry out the unit, which I suspected some dampness inside due to a dumb washing I performed a while back.

4. Installed battery box, battery and air box. Fished the TCI harnesses (2 of them) along side the air box. There was just enough length to do this. The TCI fit nicely inside the battery box between it and the air box. THe PO had put in a more narrow battery, so I took advantage of the open space. With the factory battery hold down securing it along with the battery, she's nice and secure.

My TCI is now much safer from water now. And much easier to get to the next time it needs attention.

tci.jpg

• 10 months later...