IGNORED

Fork oil alternative

uhfradarwill

I must have abused my left side seal when I replaced it two weeks ago since it is leaking.

Now I must get into that fork again.

I paid almost $18 for Honda 10wt oil and really don't want to spend that again.

My question; has anyone found that running synthetic ATF or something is suitable?

I know this is a loaded question.

Thanks for any input.

Will

I must have abused my left side seal when I replaced it two weeks ago since it is leaking.

Now I must get into that fork again.

I paid almost $18 for Honda 10wt oil and really don't want to spend that again.

My question; has anyone found that running synthetic ATF or something is suitable?

I know this is a loaded question.

Thanks for any input.

Will

I have been using Synthetic Import PS fluid, synthetic import ATF works too. I got the idea from Morley and used it in my Vmax with good results, then again in the Venture when I tossed in the progressives and new bushings. I guess the Import and Synthetic parts are vital, but either PS or ATF is acceptable. The WT on oils like this run around 7.5 - 10w, generally.

For anyone reading that may be doing this job for the first time, DO NOT buy the Chinese aftermarket seals, Yamaha OEM only, it's worth the couple extra bucks to not have to go in and do this job again. This is true of any motorcycle make that has fork (or any) seals.

Yep,, Honda actually "specked" ATF for fork oil back in the 80's on their ATC's/ATV's.. Went thru gallons of it in fork rebuilds and it worked GREAT! Personally I have found 12.5 weight Belray behind Progressives set at 1" preload and no air to be the perfect setup on my 1st Gens for hauling two up/loaded in both on road and some off roading.. A little bit tight in the dampening for some but I like the way it handles in the twisties and definitely an advantage on off road bumps and bruises...