IGNORED

Define STUPID...easy way to die...

cptriker1

Since I've gotten my bike over a year ago, I just more or less didn't look at my rear tire. The owner insured me that the tire was only a year old, but I had been told that the matching front tire had a date code of being 4 years old.

About 2 weeks ago as I was riding my bike I started feeling this weird tapping being transmitted to my right foot through my pegs. This happened when I leaned my bike towards the right but when I leaned it towards the left the tapping went away. Now this tapping was not a sound it was just a tapping that I was feeling as the tire was rolling. But I've been too busy and the only way I can get the bike up on the center stand is to use a jack.

This combination of factors could have cost me my life. Just the day before I pulled this Tire I was on the interstate at highway speed. And yes, this is a condition I was riding on.

I don't know what to say other than I was just stupid. This tire was split in so many places oh, it's one of the worst that I've seen in my life. In multiple places you can see right to the chord, but then you can see this one section where I completely lost a chunk of rubber.

Just understand, I'm not able to do nor do I do burnouts. I just drive my bike, and I drive it a lot! But to think that I let a tire get this bad it's entirely my fault.

Sadly, in order for me to get to the tire it has taken me over an excess of 5 + hours to remove the previous owners dressings and additional problems that compounded the time to remove this tire. Needless to say, all this dressing crap is not going back on the bike. I mean it looks cute, but removing it is nothing short of pure hell and it has to be removed in order to get to the tire. And when I have to go through something like that, it's time for it to be removed!

Fortunately, a local Suzuki dealership has a Dunlop Tire on hold for me. The owner has been balancing motorcycle tires since the sixties oh, and I can attest that his work is first class. So, tomorrow I'm going to wind up spending $130 to mount and balance a brand new tire. Gee what a small price to pay in order to protect my life.

I guess it'll be safe to assume that I'm going to make sure that at least once a month I lift my bike up and inspect both tires and at the same time checking my oil as well doesn't hurt. It's just that we all get busy, but sometimes missing something really could cost you your life.

I have to say this very plainly only the Lord protected me with this tire not letting go.7a25df99a09ef185dd84a3f263f9070f.jpg560dcdee659603c0b2f026b132fbd8ea.jpg100a24c7c560843962c951e6b33ae7b4.jpgf910a676b0a361ca6491ff91e384d8dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

While the tread looks deep enough and the edges of the grooves are sharp enough, it appears as if the tire has only a few miles on it. The previous owner may have installed the tire less than 1 year before he sold it, but that doesn't mean hep on a "new" or just laid up tire at that time. I've seen small shops have 10-12 year old tires just sitting on the shelf and are happy to sell them cheap.From the fine webbing around the grooves i say you have an advanced case of "dry rot" . Also from the out and out destruction of the tire i'm wondering if it was exposed to some chemical reactant that accelerated the rubber separation like that.

I guess it'll be safe to assume that I'm going to make sure that at least once a month I lift my bike up and inspect both tires and at the same time checking my oil as well doesn't hurt. It's just that we all get busy, but sometimes missing something really could cost you your life.

Checking tire pressure and condition before every ride has saved me a few times. No lift required.

Yup, that seems to be around the time Avon was having trouble with their tires from what I remember. Before that it was the Metzler 880's throwing chunks of rubber off of the tire.

OK, this morning's best try... Street Tires Under Pressured Is Deadly!!!

Yes, it is the Avon Cobra Venom. Date code 1915.

OMG!! That tire was made in 1915; no wonder it's dry!! :rasberry:

If someone went down in front of me taking me out in the process with a tire like that, I'd be pretty pissed......

BTW - A safety visual inspection is not a "Monthly" check. It is an every time, just before you hop on for a ride, check.

Edited by uhfradarwill

Fortunately, a local Suzuki dealership has a Dunlop Tire on hold for me. The owner has been balancing motorcycle tires since the sixties oh, and I can attest that his work is first class. So, tomorrow I'm going to wind up spending $130 to mount and balance a brand new tire. Gee what a small price to pay in order to protect my life.

I have a set of Avon Cobras on my bike and they are starting to get some small cracks in the side walls. After seeing this, I am going to get a set of tires ordered soon. What shop are you using down here on the Coast? I want a good balance so I don't have to tear this beast apart twice.

I have a set of Avon Cobras on my bike and they are starting to get some small cracks in the side walls. After seeing this, I am going to get a set of tires ordered soon. What shop are you using down here on the Coast? I want a good balance so I don't have to tear this beast apart twice.
Suzuki City in Biloxi.

With putting about 150,000 miles on my 83 and with using several tire brands, the only one I have ever had a problem with was an Avon Venom on the rear. This was not from a tire failure, but bike handling. I was so impressed in how much lighter the bike felt when I went to the Avons until I was riding one up at about 65mph and up. This was due to a tail wag that got worse, the faster I got. I also found that I was not the only 1st gen rider that was experiencing this problem. What ultimately ended up being the best for me was an Avon front tire and a Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear.

If you want to know how I resolved my concern with getting the bike on the center stand, let me know. Also, my granddaughter could spin the bike around on smooth concrete by herself.

Randy

Oh yea, your Very Lucky.

I had two sets of Venom tires go bad, but Avon replaced them. Your tire was built on the 19th week of 2015. That is not that old, would say a compound issue with low air pressure caused this problem. Glad all is well, Later-

You are definitely lucky that's for sure . Like what was mentioned before I had the Avon venoms and I too had the Tail Wag issue fortunately the side walls were cracking very quickly after I got them and they were replaced so I went back to the dunlops I ended up running E3's front and rear and I am very pleased with them.