IGNORED

Repair seat bolts

I broke off one of the seat studs before but there is a fix for it which has held up nicely and is probably stronger than the original one. I think I got the info from Rick Butler but...from memory....

1) Take out some of the staples from under the front of the seat so you can peel back the cover to expose the top of the bolt. Move foam padding out of the way

2) Drill out the top of the old stud with a bit that will cut the head off but not make the seat hole any larger. Take your time and every once in a while let the bolt cool down before continuing. Too much heat will melt the seat pan around the stud. You can start with small drill bits and work up to the right size until the stud comes out. The hole in the seat pan is threaded so try not to damage the threads. Use a tap if you have to repair the threads

3) Get a stainless metric bolt that matches the nut threads. You can measure the length of the bolt that isn't broken and add a couple mm for the proper length. You can dry fit the seat in place to make sure the length of the new bolt is correct

4) Put the new bolt thru the hole from the inside of the seat and JB weld or epoxy the head of the bolt to the inside of the seat pan. Wait until it sets

5) Put foam back in place and pull the seat cover back in place. Staple the seat cover back in place (remember that you only want the staple to go into the seat pan, not thru it so keep them short. I took my seat to an upholstery shop and they stapled it for me (was only a few staples so no charge)

I had gotten this info from Rick Butler before on how he repairs studs when he rebuilds seats :

"the broken bolt is not a bolt but a threaded stud that is part of a larger base that is molded into the seat pan. My solution when I have the seat pan off is to drill it carefully and tread it for 6mm X 1.0 pitch bolt that I screw in from the back side. But drilling it, you have to go slow as to not build up too much heat as it will heat up the plastic seat pan and the stud will break loose from the molding.

Going from smaller to larger drill bits always works out well. Use a metric taps to "thread" the hole for the bolt"

Good as new !