IGNORED

Pork in the Pines 2019

Bubber

My dear fellow VentureRiders

I am here today to announce that the Pork in the Pines for 2019 is still scheduled for Labor Day weekend August 30th thru Sept 2nd.

With that being said it may also be our last. Due to low attendance and other issues effecting our core group I am sad to say that this may be our last PIP.

That was the bad news.

Now the good news:

The plan is to make this years PIP the best that we have ever had, and there have been some really good ones for sure!

In order to spend our funds wisely we need those that are attending to let me know that they will be there baring any unforeseen catastrophes.

I know I have asked for this in the past but we have received less than a stellar reply to knowing the quantity.

Here are the reasons for signing up early.

1) Planing the number of restrooms ordered

2) Ordering the guest of honor (Mr. Pig)

3) Having enough camping area available

4) Having electrical hook ups are limited.

5) Limited funds for the PIP

6) Knowing and planning road trips for those that want to go riding.

7) Having enough food, helpers and other provisions.

Believe it or not there takes a lot of planning prior to the PIP, so to be fair to that those that put in the planning and work at the PIP to supply a great meal, entertainment and a great place to camp, sit around the fire, tell lies, act smart and generally enjoy each others company. I am asking that all those that are going to attend please let me know as early as possible (read that to mean by the end of June).

For years Black Owl insisted that there be no charge to people in attendance and that there only be a free offering jar placed out for contributions to the PIP.

We have been blessed by the generosity of those that attended and instead of having a fee this year we will continue in the Black Owl tradition and hope that you all will be as generous as you have been in the past.

No food was ever wasted in the past, we always donated what wasn't used or taken by the attendees to a local church for distribution to the local needy people in the area. You should all be proud of your selfless contributions.

We would like to have this PIP attendees to enjoy and benefit from all that they do to make the PIP happen, that includes their gift of money, time, labor, use of property, planning the MC road trip for the day, cooking skills, and all around good nature and willingness to make this a great celebration of our MC lifestyle.

As I write this I can't imagine how proud Black Owl would be to see this tradition carry on at least one more year.

God Bless You all and hope to see you at the PIP.

Steve

aka Bubber

Don't forget to let me know your coming, I will keep a running tally in another post when you sign up on the calendar. evidently it keeps track automatically. Duh who would have thought. LOL

Edited by Bubber

There doesn't seem to be much interest in the PIP.

I have only seen a few sign up or notify me.

All I can say is I am going to have a big party without you. Me and all my friends.

I think that may be 2 possibly 3 if I pay them enough.

Bubber

I wanted to do this before but I was working strange hours/days.

I see Laporte was 111 ppl in 2010 so I'm assuming it's not a metropolitan area now. Looking at the map I should be able to get there without hitting congestion or cities. It's looking like a tentative go but I know by end of July. I've ridden rural MN before and enjoyed it quite a bit. I got the best beef commercial in New Ulm. I didn't even know what that was before. It looked like school cafeteria food but it blew my mind. Amazing. It's looking good for me according to this map. I'll obligate as soon as I know for sure I'm not earning at that time.

I forgot to post this earlier.

Gary's house location is as follows:

39180 Old Oaktree Drive

LaPorte, Minnesota 56461

Gary has for many years has been the host of this gathering at his home in rural LaPorte MN.

Great riding, great attendees, great friends to meet and new friends to make.

Thanks Gary for putting up with this bunch of crazy's.

Good food, good conversation, good and bad jokes, a time to laugh, a time to enjoy your fellow riders and what we all bring to the table.

From what I have been told those Canadians are coming back, you know, the ones that keep out numbering those that live in the states.

Sure will be nice to to see them again, along with all the others.

I have an unofficial count of about 14 people and maybe one more if I can get a date. LOL !

Have a great Summer and make your plans to be at the PIP.

Bubber

Your not so supreme leader or follower, I can't make up my mind which. Which, which is which?

Nice talking to you Casey

As always, all are welcome to the celebration of MC life.

Drive safe you all this summer and see you at the PIP. or was that Ya'll.

Bubber

still working on that date, or not!

I forgot to post this earlier.

Gary's house location is as follows:

39180 Old Oaktree Drive

LaPorte, Minnesota 56461

Gary has for many years has been the host of this gathering at his home in rural LaPorte MN.

Great riding, great attendees, great friends to meet and new friends to make.

Thanks Gary for putting up with this bunch of crazy's.

Good food, good conversation, good and bad jokes, a time to laugh, a time to enjoy your fellow riders and what we all bring to the table.

From what I have been told those Canadians are coming back, you know, the ones that keep out numbering those that live in the states.

Sure will be nice to to see them again, along with all the others.

I have an unofficial count of about 14 people and maybe one more if I can get a date. LOL !

Have a great Summer and make your plans to be at the PIP.

Bubber

Your not so supreme leader or follower, I can't make up my mind which. Which, which is which?

not so supreme leader--That's my vote--------------:fatsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I could give PIP some selfish promotion before I went fishing.

Sorry I couldn't make it to Maintenance Day at Freebird's, going fishing with my brothers just seemed like the appropriate thing to do.

We ain't getting any younger ya know.

There is always next year ..... I hope.

Have fun at Maintenance Day

Raise one or two for Black Owl, I am sure he would appreciate that.

He is probably looking down on you all wondering and wishing he could do that one more time.

Salute to you my friend, We really do miss you!

Bubber

Thought I could give PIP some selfish promotion before I went fishing.

Sorry I couldn't make it to Maintenance Day at Freebird's, going fishing with my brothers just seemed like the appropriate thing to do.

We ain't getting any younger ya know.

There is always next year ..... I hope.

Have fun at Maintenance Day

Raise one or two for Black Owl, I am sure he would appreciate that.

He is probably looking down on you all wondering and wishing he could do that one more time.

Salute to you my friend, We really do miss you!

Bubber

In memory honor of our friend and my brother Black Owl and as bump for The Pork In The Pine rally he loved so much Bubber :thumbsup:

Some day,, some how,, Tip n I are gonna make it to PIP!!

DSCN0151.JPGDSCN0150.JPG

I am sure that old buzzard was looking down and having a great laugh with everyone at maintenance day.

Glad you could honor his memory. He was in both the Canadian Army and the US Army. He was quite a guy, Miss the old bugger.

I think I also have one of those patches on my vest. I haven't worn it in a while do to two new knees.

No more excuses, I been firing up the Bug Smasher and trying to get it running correctly.

Ever since I retired I have less and less time for stuff. Who knew?????????

I still want to plug PIP....... so there you go.

Headed to Viroqua, WI.for the maintenance day, this weekend to see if there is any trouble I can get in and say hello to new and old friends.

Orlin said it was Ok even after the last time I went. LOL

PIP on LABOR DAY. Laporte MN.

Be there or be square!

• 4 weeks later...
How's the count coming ? I'm still coming, but thought could put it one the Regional Venture Events ?

I have about 14-18 that have contacted me either committed and a few that are tentative.

It will go on no matter what and attendees will have a great time, just like in the past.

I encourage others that have not contacted me to let me know if they plan on attending. Sure makes planning easier.

Plans and food will be based on those that have committed to attend.

On a sad note:

One of our good Canadian friends has passed.

Pete Klassen has recently passed on. Years ago he had a massive stroke and now recently passed.

Pete was affectionately know as Tequila Pete.

My condolences to his family and our prayers are offered for Pete.

Pete was a good man that knew how to party.

Pete we will miss you, God bless and rest in peace my friend.

Bubber

• 2 weeks later...

Just about 4 weeks till Pork in the Pines. Looking forward to seeing old friends, acting smart and telling new lies. I made up some real whoppers.

I have begun to gather the supplies and guest of honor for PIP.

I hope we have a good turnout because I am sure there will be enough food to feed an army, as usual.

I still have only heard from about 14-18 people so that is what I am planning on.

Hope you all are having a great summer and staying safe out there.

Life is great here in beautiful downtown Minnesota.

I sure hope we can finally have as many Americans show up as the Canadians.

They always seem to out number us 2 to 1, but that is good because they are so much fun.

See you at PIP starting August 30th or if you show up earlier.

Camping and riding and good friendship all available for your pleasure.

Edited by Bubber

• 2 weeks later...

I have confirmed with Rick and Marlyn that they are coming, Laura and Gord are coming too (from BC).

I'll have to get get my best T-shirt out for this event.

I am getting food and provisions together and looking for a good time.

Whoo who!!!!!! gotta get this show on the road.

Gary has got his assignments for the PIP, fresh corn on the cob, local eggs, and porta-potty.

Getting the garage all cleaned out and tables and chairs. GO GARY!!!!!!!!!

I have Mr. Pig all lined up and we will be going to the celebration to introduce him to "my little friends".

Getting a list of fixens to adorn Mr. Pig with. I hope people are hungry, I know I am.

Catch you all soon, bring your "A game" to the celebration.

Bubber

• 2 weeks later...

I am making the final preparations for the PIP on Labor Day.

Looking forward to meeting and greeting all my old friends and making new ones.

I am getting the food and snacks ready.

We are eating very good this year my fine feathered friends.

With help from everyone we will be having one hell of a good time.

Food, friends, stories (some true some not so true) remembering those that have gone before us.

Oh yes there may be an adult beverage or two. although that has diminished over the years and we get older. LOL

We have at least 4 Canadian returning from BC to honor us with their presence. Rick and Marilyn and Laura and Gord. YIPPY SKIPPY!

Can't wait to hear some laughter and lie telling, I mean story telling.

See you all their or until we meet again.

Respect

Steve

aka Bubber

Edited by Bubber

This sure has been a tough year all the way around.

We lost a few of our members this year and they will sadly be missed. Ride on my friends ride on till we met again.

There are other losses members have suffered this year but I will leave it to them to discuss or not as they choose to.

Lets just say we need to have a weight lifted from our shoulders and celebrate these friends and all the others whom we may have lost.

I myself lost a good friend and he was actually my boss at one time. I only contacted him recently to see if his wife was still working at a whale watch company out on the east coast. That is how I found out he was on his death bed. I found out totally by accident and I possibly wouldn't have found out for a long time had I not tried to contact him about the whale watch. His wife say the text and got back to me.

He was a good man and a great boss. He never had a bad word for anybody. He had such a great sense of humor and a devilish way about him. I can't count the times he had me laughing so hard I thought I was going to wet myself. I will miss him dearly. I am so glad He was in my life even for just a few short years.

RIP my friend and keep those jokes for when I see you again.

So now that I have brought everyone down, you are asking yourself WHY??????

Because we never know.

Celebrate your friends now, enjoy your wife, kids and family.

Celebrate who you are and what you have. Don't be jealous of others. Be happy that they are doing good and are as fortunate as they are. Be happy for what you have and what you have accomplished. I myself have 3 great kids that mean everything to me. Last year when I was on my walkabout in the Dakotas and Montana I was having a brewski with some you young millennial around a camp fire at about midnight and the young man that just happened to be in the service looked at me and said. Sir do you mind if I ask you a questions? I thought about it for a milli second and said "sure". He asks me what I think my biggest accomplishment has been in my 65 years on this planet?....... WOW??????? Now that will make you think pretty long and hard to be honest with yourself.

WOW? I thought for a minute and said my three girls! They are and always will be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

So yes I do think it is an accomplishment to have 3 for 3 great kids. I am pretty sure they had a little to do with it too. Pretty, smart and just down right good people. I think they all got smarter than their dad some how. But every once in a while I show them the old man still got a brain cell or two firing on all cylinders.

So I end with this!

The PIP is a celebration of our lives, our family and our friends, we will always be thankful for that.

Whatever event you participate in Maintenance Day, Northern New York get together, riding the dragon, what ever, celebrate those around you.

Enjoy and have the greatest get together you can. Hope to see you all on the road or some other gathering in the near future.

I am putting Maintenance on my calendar for next year come hell or high water I have to come and celebrate with those friends I haven't met yet.

beside I gotta see that dog gone Pond Monster for myself.

If your looking for me next weekend I'll be cooking, telling lies, telling stories, acting smart (God knows better than that) enjoying an adult beverage or two, sitting around the camp fire (doing most of the above) and making new friends at the Pork in the Pines in beautiful downtown La Porte, Minnesota (really at Gary's house).

God Bless and have a great Labor Day weekend!!!!!!!!

Bubber