IGNORED

OIL CHANGE (89VR) - Rotella T4 15W-40 -- STUNNING RESULTS!!!

To All:

So I was thinking about if I should post this or not, but what a difference...so here I go...

You see, one of the things that's been deeply bothering me is how much it costs to do an oil change. When I was young, first bike, I changed the oil so much it was NUTS because oil was cheap, I was stupid, and my bike was air cooled (1981 Yamaha XS-II 650 Special). Now that I'm older, and fatter, working on stuff isn't fun like it used to be. Quite frankly, it can be downright uncomfortable or painful. But, in all the reading I've been doing I've been quite pissed at Wal-Mart because they just can't keep Valvoline 10W-40 motorcycle oil on the shelf. But, won't have problems finding the expensive stuff!

I'm being honest here. I'm not 100% on full-synthetic because I'm worried it'll screw my clutches! If that's true or not, I'm going to play it safe and stick with dino oil. It's what came in the bikes so that's what they're designed for. And YES---I do know ALL ABOUT full synthetic oils! I've been using Mobile 1 Full Synthetic in my 2008 Toyota Yaris and I'm only 700 miles away from 300,000 miles and NO OIL USE!!! I flipped it at 6,500 miles to full synthetic and never looked back!

But, I had read someone with a VR had issues with full syn in the bike with clutches so started looking hard. After I found a major read about people using Rotella T4 or T6 in their bikes (diesel engine oil) I started to listen. The guy goes in to talk about the oil having the BEST additives (shown by the ratings codes) and that it was MA/MA2 approved.

Yes yes yes...I know this is going to open a firestorm...but hear me out ok???

Because tonight I did the change from Valvoline to Rotella and the results are downright SHOCKING how much BETTER everything is doing!

1. Engine sound - especially top-end valve noise - has been so reduced it's just stunning.

2. Shifting IS smoother. I'm easily able to see much better shifting.

3. Transmission gear whine is much reduced.

Cost factor and the fact its rated for motorcycles (not to mention 1 gal size just over $12) makes oil changes more cost effective. I've seen about the 8K miles before changes in the manual. Yeah...right...my ass is cooking in SOUTH MS running on i-10 ((at speeds I'd rather not mention)) and you want me to keep dino in for 8K miles turning over 4K engine speed???? Yeahhhhhhh......riggghhhhtttttt.....

I pulled the plug with 6K on that Valvoline and let's just say it was time for it to come he heck out of there! So, new oil is in and also switched from WIX filter to Fram due to availability (bike has adapter to auto filters). Besides the fram is pulling down to 20 microns (pine pollen is 5 microns) and I'm now looking at changing more often due to the coming summer.

All I'm saying here is that my results was immediate and very positive. I'm going to go long term with this oil. One guy talked about engine inspections using Rotella and engines were clean. Many guys talked about using in their bikes for many years with no issues. Now, perhaps you're full synthetic. I can and do understand. However, I'm deeply pleased with what I experienced tonight and hope to report on this more as time (and miles) goes on.

Link: https://advrider.com/f/threads/does-anyone-run-shell-rotella-oil-in-there-bikes.165074/page-2

For whatever it is worth (probably not much), I have used Rotella T4 15W-40 in two bikes for many years. No issues or problems. I buy 2.5 gallon jugs at Farm and Fleet but I pour out the amount I need into a smaller size jug which has a sight gauge on the side. Trying to juggle a 2.5 gallon jug while slowly pouring into the engine is just asking for a mess.

zag

I have used the Rotella for years in all cars, motorcycle. lawn mower and water pressure washer. Many years ago I did try some synthetic in my 83 and got some oil leaks I had not had before. I used to be a Valvoline guy.

The only thing I am doing different now is I am not using Fram filters if I can find anything else in my cars.

Randy

OK on the Rotella, but I would NOT use Fram spin on filters. Fram uses less filter media than other brands in their spin on filters, and it tends to clog, which restricts oil flow thru the filter. I used to drive a Olds Silhouette mini van with a 3.8L motor. If I used Fram filters, after about 2000 miles, the oil pressure would start reading less and less. I changed just the filter, and it went back up to normal.

I do use Fram filter inserts in my 89, but I've got the OEM filter and for this application, the Fram has the proper amount of filter media.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me, I'd prefer to go back to the 'stock' filter setup. But, and I'm not kidding here, I've just been BLOWN AWAY with all the differences I've noticed dealing with this oil change!

1. Engine is running cooler.

2. Engine noise is MUCH reduced and that's no lie.

3. Shifting is MUCH improved.

I'm aware of the fram filter issues. I do have the stock cover and bolt from a seller on ebay but I didn't get the washer. Because of that I've continued with the adapter setup.

I just have to admit how deeply pleased I am concerning this oil change. I'm SOLD. I'm now back in the realm of SANITY (concerning costs) so that I can focus on doing the change every 4K miles and not be BROKE doing it. I grew up changing oil so much it was crazy (in my bikes) because I wanted to. I drive my bike alot. Since this oil is MA rated and I've seen all these benefits, I'm very pleased.

YES YES YES I know that people are going to have much more expensive oil in their bikes. But, with Rotella having the 'commercial' package additives and being rated for use in engines that will see more HELL than my bike will ever see...I feel that I'm giving it the best protection. I feel that my oil choices have been sound in my life. My Toyota Yaris just turned 300,000 miles and I've mostly used Mobile 1 Extended Full Synthetic. It's great for that application. And my research has shown that Rotella will fit the criterion I've set for my bike.

Trust me, I'd prefer to go back to the 'stock' filter setup. But, and I'm not kidding here, I've just been BLOWN AWAY with all the differences I've noticed dealing with this oil change!

1. Engine is running cooler.

2. Engine noise is MUCH reduced and that's no lie.

3. Shifting is MUCH improved.

I'm aware of the fram filter issues. I do have the stock cover and bolt from a seller on ebay but I didn't get the washer. Because of that I've continued with the adapter setup.

I just have to admit how deeply pleased I am concerning this oil change. I'm SOLD. I'm now back in the realm of SANITY (concerning costs) so that I can focus on doing the change every 4K miles and not be BROKE doing it. I grew up changing oil so much it was crazy (in my bikes) because I wanted to. I drive my bike alot. Since this oil is MA rated and I've seen all these benefits, I'm very pleased.

YES YES YES I know that people are going to have much more expensive oil in their bikes. But, with Rotella having the 'commercial' package additives and being rated for use in engines that will see more HELL than my bike will ever see...I feel that I'm giving it the best protection. I feel that my oil choices have been sound in my life. My Toyota Yaris just turned 300,000 miles and I've mostly used Mobile 1 Extended Full Synthetic. It's great for that application. And my research has shown that Rotella will fit the criterion I've set for my bike.

I have been using Shell Rotella T4 for many years in my Ventures and Royal Stars. This is a great oil at a great price and available at any Walmart. I was in the habit of changing my oil every 3000mi. but that was probably overkill, old habits die hard. So ride on with that T4, you will not be disappointed. BTW if you ever decide you want to go to a Synthetic, Rotella T6 is a great oil and it is JASO MA2 rated, which is a wet clutch compatible.