IGNORED

steering stem nut question

Good morning, looking for the nut size. I found the torque spec 85LB Ft in the manual but not the nut size I don't have a socket that large currently. it is loose and a long way to a dealer.... better if I can go purchase the socket but what size I'm guessing about 35MM but not sure?

I'm not sure what you are looking at. The steering head nuts required a spanner type wrench. Also, 85 ft. lbs. is WAY too tight. I'm attaching a page out of the service manual that shows the correct torque. Basically you torque it to 38 lbs to seat it then back it off an torque it again to 13 lbs.

steeringhead.jpg

OK...I'm assuming you are talking about the nut on the very top. That nut "steering stem nut" is torqued at 85 ft. lbs. and has to be removed to allow easy access to the steering head adjustments but is NOT what tightens the steering head, that procedure is outlined in the document attached above.

If you need to remove that nut, I'm guessing it is 35mm. I just tried a 1 3/8" socket and I believe I could tap on it and make it work. 1 3/8" is approximately 34.9 mm so that is why I'm assuming it is probably 35mm.

Edited by Freebird

I have a 36mm socket and am guessing that;s what I use it for.

Thank you, it is the 36mm. I discovered that mine was finger tight at 8000 miles. I have torqued it to 85 LB Ft.

• 1 year later...

I had mine come loose too, thought the front end was fallin off.

took it to the dealer and they tightened it free of charge.

but now I’m always Paranoid it loose.

had it tightened at about 5000 miles, and I think it needs to b done again.