IGNORED

08 Venture Lights and Bluetooth

I'm adding LED passing lamps and an LED headlight. The ones I got have the angel eye LED Halo ring Wich require additional wiring. I have read a little bit here about wiring, relays, the ignition switch, excetera. Has anyone added the Halo LEDs ? Also, I have a poly planar BT adapter that requires 12 volt power and RCA jacks to feed into the factory radio. I'm considering using an "rca to 3.5mm audio adapter wire" to convert this into the auxiliary side of the radio.

I would very much like to read up on how to do these add ons from those who have previously done them.

Updated 5/13/19:

Worked on my RSV over the course of several weeks, a few hours at a time on my days off. This might get a little long-winded...

My bike came to me in nearly perfect condition, without a tape deck and Audio aux, and without a set of passing lamps. Thanks to what I read up on here, and on some of the Facebook forums I had a pretty good idea how to proceed. Please, xx with some shopping around on eBay and Amazon, I was able to get all the parts I needed without breaking the bank.

Purchased:

Star brand OEM light bar for passing lamps.m, eBay $50

4.5" passing lamp housings, Amazon $29.

Generic LED 7-inch headlight and 4.5 in passing lamps with halos and mounting hardware. Amazon $90.

Poly planar BTAL-01 Bluetooth adapter, eBay $25.

Ram style phone holder with USB charging port, eBay $18.

VENTURE LED Brake Light Bar, eBay $45.

Headlight and passing lamp visors, Amazon approximately $35

Various wires and connectors needed for the job, at Lowe's and Advance Auto, approximately $50.

I'm not super knowledgeable about electronics but growing up with a dad who was an electrical engineer, and learning how to fix things by osmosis while holding a flashlight and fetching tools from the tool box, seems to have served me well.

Once I got all the parts, I laid everything out, got the passing lamps turn signals and light bar put together, with wires run appropriately to connect to the bike.

I split the fairing, setting the windshield, front fairing, and chrome plastic trim aside wrapped in towels.

Using the schematics that I found on this form, I was able to identify the wiring necessary to power the lights, the Bluetooth adapter, and RAM mount style phone holder with USB charger.

I tested the points that I was going to draw power from. Mainly, for the passing lamps, I was able to use the same power supply as for the front turn signals. I did not set up the passing lamps to run with high beam only, instead they run all the time when the headlight is engaged just like the turn signals. Then the BT adapter: I jumped power off of one of the multi connectors on the right side of the fairing. For the USB phone holder and halo rings, I used power from the front DC auxiliary located on the left side of the fairing. Here, I had to create a three-way connection in order to keep power to the auxiliary and supply power to the 2 add-on devices. I also installed a switch in the dash directly to the left side of the DC auxiliary to allow me to turn the halos on and off. The venture LED brake light bar was pretty much plug-and-play off of the back brake lights.

I'm going to post a zip file with all the pics and a few short video clips of what was done. They are in no particular order.

Edited by WellDoneDanny
Update to progress on mods listed in original post

I had added the led headlight/passing lights to my 06 RSV, but they weren't the halo style, so unfortunately I can't help you there. Since a deer totaled that bike a couple of weeks ago, I plan to add them to my "new" 07 RSV, and I'm considering the halo style, so I'll be interested to hear what others might say.

As far as the bluetooth, it sounds similar to what I had installed (and plan to re-do on the new bike). I took the 12v power off the power outlet in the fairing by tapping into the wire for that. Then I did exactly what you described, used an RCA (2 plugs) to 3.5mm (single plug) adapter and attached that to the aux line from the radio. However, I also used a 3.5mm splitter, so that the aux port next to the cassette player was still functional, just in case I want to use it for whatever reason (or the bluetooth craps out). For the short time I got to use it, it worked great. Hope this helps.

I did a similar install on the BT. I also added a splitter cable in to tie my phone to the gps and an amplirider along with replacing the cassette with a charge port that has a lighter plug and two USB ports. If you're only adding BT you can pull from the plug as mentioned, since I installed more I ran a hot wire from the battery and used power from the original plug to fire a relay on the new power wire. The BT I used from ebay had a 3.5mm plug on it so I didn't need the rca adapters. I just wish I'd done it all at once instead of pulling the fairing multiple times. With all that and adding Mic-Mutes I think I could split the fairing with my eyes closed.

I had added the led headlight/passing lights to my 06 RSV, but they weren't the halo style, so unfortunately I can't help you there. Since a deer totaled that bike a couple of weeks ago, I plan to add them to my "new" 07 RSV, and I'm considering the halo style, so I'll be interested to hear what others might say.

As far as the bluetooth, it sounds similar to what I had installed (and plan to re-do on the new bike). I took the 12v power off the power outlet in the fairing by tapping into the wire for that. Then I did exactly what you described, used an RCA (2 plugs) to 3.5mm (single plug) adapter and attached that to the aux line from the radio. However, I also used a 3.5mm splitter, so that the aux port next to the cassette player was still functional, just in case I want to use it for whatever reason (or the bluetooth craps out). For the short time I got to use it, it worked great. Hope this helps.

Sorry you had a deer collision. Hope you're okay, bikes can be replaced!

Going to be digging into the wiring today, I'll probably run power from one of the powered sources already existing in the bike so the halos run separately on a switched relay and let the passing lamps and headlight stay on the original headlight circuit. Digging for schematics currently then off to get wires and relays.