IGNORED

Oicked up a growl

Just put two new Kenda's on my 2000 Venture. Changed the Final gear oil while at it.

Went for a ride without any problems. Next day went out again. This time I would get a growling type noise when I let off the gas. If I went back on gas it was gone or when I pulled in the clutch to downshift the growl would be gone.

Bike runs fine, no loss of power, shifts fine without slippage, brakes are good. Any ideas?

Thanks,

labill

Here is a real possibility. There is a washer/spacer on the right side of the rear axle. If you get it run the wrong place, it will allow the tire to slide over just far enough to light rub against the swingers. I know this for a fact because I make that mistake once many years ago. I installed a new tire and got the washer in the wrong position. The next morning I left for a VentureRider gathering in Michigan and experienced he exact same thing that you are. It didn't rub all the time but during deceleration and etc. just as you describe. You need to look at the following thread and there is specific mention of the washer I'm talking about.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?515-Rear-Wheel-Removal

Found the problem. I guess I forgot to tighten the drain plug because it was gone. Feel good that it's not a transmission. If I need a new V Max I hope I did not lose his web site along with the file I lost.

I am hoping I did not do much damage. My question, should I use heavyweight engine oil or stay with the Final gear lube. The gear lube looks like regular oil.

Thanks,

labill

I am hoping I did not do much damage. My question, should I use heavyweight engine oil or stay with the Final gear lube. The gear lube looks like regular oil.

Get the rear end up in the air and refill the gear case with light-weight motor oil or ATF and spin it by hand for a minute or two. Use a coffee filter to strain the oil as you drain it to inspect for any swarf or major chunks. If you find a lot of metal its time to crack it open and investigate. If you get some minor shiny flakes I'd repeat the process a few times, even running it in idle in 1st gear with no load (up in the air) and see if it gets any cleaner.

I hope to get time tomorrow to check it out.

Freebird,

Thanks for the offer, hope I don't need to. I was not sure what I was going to do if I did need a new or rebuilt one because it's a V-Max. I needed the V Max upgrade after I put on a sidecar. I lost a lot of power with the stock one. The increase in power and speed with the V Max was if I never added the sidecar.

Thanks,

labill

Looks like I dodged a bullet, at least for now.

I drained and cleaned like suggested. Did not see any metal. I will take it for a few runs before I celebrate and head off on our Natchez Trace Trail ride next month.

I want to thank everyone and Freebird thank you for the offer. I will let you know after a few runs if I still need a rear.

Again, thank you.

labill