IGNORED

R1 caliper upgrade, rear, problem

cami

I have a 1999 RSV, and have upgraded the front brakes with R1 calipers. Putting the same caliper on the rear I had a problem, I also have a 27 inch inseam so I have installed a Barons lowering kit. That is where the problem started. The R1 caliper would not mount up correctly due to interference from the Barons mod. So I modified the R1 caliper so it would fit on the Barons brake relocation arm correctly. I have included before and after pictures of the modification I made to the R1 caliper. Now the R1 caliper is very similar in form to the stock Yamaha caliper I removed.

The picture are in reverse order. I detailed the cut so it is a lot smoother. After making the relief cut the R1 caliper bolted up very well.

Next I will lower the front end to improve handling and to make it easier for me, at age 78 to get the Venture on center.

Stay safe and enjoy your ride.

Mike

WP_20190421_003.jpg

WP_20190421_002.jpg

The rear brake on my 07 RSV is so powerful, I can't imagine trying to make it more powerful.

:sign yeah that: One of the big problems with the 2ndGens is the rear wheel locking up and making for some exciting moments. Since the rear stopping power is only about 25-30% trying to improve it would only cause more problems.... Changing the fronts to R1's or R6's is all that's needed...

:sign yeah that: One of the big problems with the 2ndGens is the rear wheel locking up and making for some exciting moments. Since the rear stopping power is only about 25-30% trying to improve it would only cause more problems.... Changing the fronts to R1's or R6's is all that's needed...

:lightbulb:,, maybe the premium setup would be to swap on a Gen 1 MK1 rear brake assembly and then do the R1 front brake swapperoni routine brother!!

That way the rider would learn quickly to use/depend on the front brake for 99.9 percent of his braking applications (as we should be doing anyway IMHO) and using the non-existent rear braking charachtoristics of the MK1 just for high speed cornering (trail braking) applications :missingtooth:

I still don't get why Mom Yam quit listening to our clubs suggestions @Condor,, we are a creative bunch of lop eared intelligent varmints I tell ya!!:big-grin-emoticon:

I have a 1999 RSV, and have upgraded the front brakes with R1 calipers. Putting the same caliper on the rear I had a problem, I also have a 27 inch inseam so I have installed a Barons lowering kit. That is where the problem started. The R1 caliper would not mount up correctly due to interference from the Barons mod. So I modified the R1 caliper so it would fit on the Barons brake relocation arm correctly. I have included before and after pictures of the modification I made to the R1 caliper. Now the R1 caliper is very similar in form to the stock Yamaha caliper I removed.

The picture are in reverse order. I detailed the cut so it is a lot smoother. After making the relief cut the R1 caliper bolted up very well.

Next I will lower the front end to improve handling and to make it easier for me, at age 78 to get the Venture on center.

Stay safe and enjoy your ride.

Mike

:lightbulb:,, maybe the premium setup would be to swap on a Gen 1 MK1 rear brake assembly and then do the R1 front brake swapperoni routine brother!!

That way the rider would learn quickly to use/depend on the front brake for 99.9 percent of his braking applications (as we should be doing anyway IMHO) and using the non-existent rear braking charachtoristics of the MK1 just for high speed cornering (trail braking) applications :missingtooth:

I still don't get why Mom Yam quit listening to our clubs suggestions Condor,, we are a creative bunch of lop eared intelligent varmints I tell ya!!:big-grin-emoticon:

One of the things I've noticed over the years is Yamaha doesn't listen to anything, and they don't understand how leaking info is sometimes the best way to keep their products in the news... Never have figured out why they're so secretive all the time... Doesn't say much for their ad dept... 10-4 on the rear VR caliper.... However I think a weak '83-4 might need a little McGivering to adapt it to a Twogen if the span on the mounting bolts are non-standard like the fronts... I rebuilt one once but can't remember about the bolt span. Anything off an '86 up is a better caliper...