IGNORED

Looking for 1st Gen MKII Trailer Hitch

Argo

Looking for a trailer hitch for my 86VR.

Have searched high and low on fleabay to no avail.

The internet only comes up with a few sources for the MKII bikes and they are rather expensive.

If nothing else, I can fabricate one if anybody can provide dimensions or let me know what the attachment points are on the frame.

Thanks,

Argo

Its been a while, and IIRC, :backinmyday:

The front attachment point is the muffler hanger bolt. you need a longer bolt so that you can att the hitch and nut toward the inside of welded on nut.

there is a mid attachment point that is thru the rear roll bare using the same bolt that goes into the bottom of the saddle bags.

Then the rear attachment point is a loop to clamp over bars that run for aft under the bumper, I do not remember if they are pert of the bag guard or fender or bumper mounts.

I am sure someone will be along shortly that can maybe add some pics.

Here is a pic of the MK1 setup. The main difference between the MK1 and the MK2 is the clamp on the bag crash bar is not used on the MK2, there is a bolt that goes thru the bottom of the bag., as Jeff mentioned. I have set of mounting bars that I can ship you if you would like them. There is a slight bend in one bar due to a tipover a few years ago on my bike but it is not noticeable. It is easily straightened. I only have the two long mounting bars and none of the other pieces. PM me and I will send them to you, as they are looking for a new home. Will post pic on Monday as soon as I am home. I have part #1 but fits the MK2.

Markland trailer hitch instructions, MKI.jpg

Here is a pic of the MK1 setup. The main difference between the MK1 and the MK2 is the clamp on the bag crash bar is not used on the MK2, there is a bolt that goes thru the bottom of the bag., as Jeff mentioned. I have set of mounting bars that I can ship you if you would like them. There is a slight bend in one bar due to a tipover a few years ago on my bike but it is not noticeable. It is easily straightened. I only have the two long mounting bars and none of the other pieces. PM me and I will send them to you, as they are looking for a new home. Will post pic on Monday as soon as I am home. I have part #1 but fits the MK2.

And I have part #3 and maybe parts #19 .

The rest of the parts are some very simple to fab brackets that can be made from a chunk of 1" wide x 1/8" thick steel bar from the hardware store.

Jim,

Thanks for these parts.

Will pay it forward at the first opportunity.

They will give me a better beginning over starting from scratch.

Painting won't be a problem, may even sandblast them first.

Thanks,

Argo

It should clean up nice.

Those 2 tabs on the top of the hitch are where you need to fab a bracket and clamp that will go over the frame that is right above it. The bracket is only 2 or 3 inches long. I made the clamps and the brackets out of 1" x 1/8" galvanized from the hardware store.

If you are not sure what else is needed for mounting just ask.

It should clean up nice.

Those 2 tabs on the top of the hitch are where you need to fab a bracket and clamp that will go over the frame that is right above it. The bracket is only 2 or 3 inches long. I made the clamps and the brackets out of 1" x 1/8" galvanized from the hardware store.

If you are not sure what else is needed for mounting just ask.

Jeff,

If I understand correctly, on a 1st Gen MK2, the bracket from the hitch plate doesn't go all the way up to a mounting point on the rear sub-frame as shown in the diagram in post #3 above.

Does the bracket attach (clamp) to the lower bars that connect the left and right crash bars that surround the saddle bags?

Wouldn't happen to have a picture or diagram of this?

Thanks,

Argo

The diagram in post #3 is for a 1st gen MK I. The mounting is completely different for a MK II.

If you look under the fender of your bike you will see 2 bars that run for / aft. these are the bars that the tabs of the hitch will connect to.

I no longer have my bike so I can not take a pic of the setup.

Jeff,

If I understand correctly, on a 1st Gen MK2, the bracket from the hitch plate doesn't go all the way up to a mounting point on the rear sub-frame as shown in the diagram in post #3 above.

Does the bracket attach (clamp) to the lower bars that connect the left and right crash bars that surround the saddle bags?

Thanks,

Argo

Markland hitch on a MKII:

VR Hitch (1).jpgVR Hitch (2).jpgVR Hitch (3).jpgVR Hitch (4).jpgVR Hitch (5).jpgVR Hitch (6).jpgVR Hitch (7).jpgVR Hitch (8).jpgVR Hitch (9).jpgVR Hitch (10).jpg

Jeff,

Thanks,

Argo

Markland Hitch on a MKII more:

P1150157.jpgP1150158.jpgP1150163.jpgP1150164.jpgP1150165.jpgP1150166.jpgP1150167.jpgP1150168.jpgP1150170.jpgRight side.jpg

Prairiehammer,

Thanks for those pictures they really help.

It may be the camera angle or an optical illusion, but the short bracket from the hitch plate to the lower, rear cross bars on the bag guard seem to be vertical in some pictures and angled forward in others.

I am pretty certain that these are from at least two different bikes.

Would you know the reason for the different angle to the brackets?

Thanks,

Argo

Prairiehammer,

Thanks for those pictures they really help.

It may be the camera angle or an optical illusion, but the short bracket from the hitch plate to the lower, rear cross bars on the bag guard seem to be vertical in some pictures and angled forward in others.

I am pretty certain that these are from at least two different bikes.

Would you know the reason for the different angle to the brackets?

Thanks,

Argo

The pictures are from a collection of hitch mounting pictures I have. There are at least two different bikes shown.

But on both of the bikes I've had a Markland hitch on (1990 and 1991), the vertical bar running from the ear on the ball hitch plate to the U-strap mounted on the saddle bag/crash bar frame has been angled.

Maybe just manufacturing tolerance or minor changes Markland made over the years? I don't think it will matter.