IGNORED

New guy with Carb issues

Hi from Arizona. I just bought a 2011 XVZ13TFSAc and have a few questions. First what do you guys refer to this model as besides the designated one I posted. It has the trunk and plush passenger seat.

I bought the bike (has 14k miles) as is / wont start because the carbs are so gummed up the throttle won't even turn. I've searched the forum for a how to post for carb removal, clean rebuild but have not yet had any luck. I do have a Clymer manual on the way. Any help pointing me to posts with tips that would help is appreciated. I've already learned a lot from what I've read hear especially the MR gasket fuel pump conversion. I plan on modifying one to have as a spare. The bike looked so good in that blue I had to have it even though it wouldn't run. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. You have a Royal Star Venture or as called here a 2nd generation Venture. Look on the forum page, scroll down to the 2nd gen read only library, engine and drivetrain section and you'll find your starting point. You're in the right place to find anything you need for your ride and will be the best $12 you've ever spent to join. Once it's running right you've got a great ride.

Guest divey
Hi from Arizona. I just bought a 2011 XVZ13TFSAc and have a few questions. First what do you guys refer to this model as besides the designated one I posted. It has the trunk and plush passenger seat.

I bought the bike (has 14k miles) as is / wont start because the carbs are so gummed up the throttle won't even turn. I've searched the forum for a how to post for carb removal, clean rebuild but have not yet had any luck. I do have a Clymer manual on the way. Any help pointing me to posts with tips that would help is appreciated. I've already learned a lot from what I've read hear especially the MR gasket fuel pump conversion. I plan on modifying one to have as a spare. The bike looked so good in that blue I had to have it even though it wouldn't run. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. You’ll find a lot of great advice here. It’s hard to fathom how someone can own a newer (2011) RSV that’s virtually not even broken in yet (14K miles) and abuse it so badly that the throttle won’t turn. These bikes are bullet proof so the previous owner(s) must have been...., well, you get my drift. Once you get her running properly, you won’t believe your good fortune. Doug

1st things first,,, :welcome1::wow::wel_1Wa::RED::group cheers::group cheers: ANDY!!!

Now some quick thoughts about your carbs. Even though your RSV (one name for your scoot) - 2nd Gen Venture (another name) - Royal Star Venture (yet another name) or The Slower 2nd Gen (what some of these lop eared 1st Gen club member varmints may refer to the 2nd Gen as :crackup:) is a completely different machine than the earlier 1st Gens, it is still a CV Carbed bike. Knowing this but having never worked on one, I have a hunch that your stuck throttle has nothing to do with messed up or gummed carbs. Because the slide movement in the carb is operated soley by vacuum and the throttle operates mechanical linkage that opens and closes a butterfly in the throat of the carbs, I would be suspecious that the stuck throttle is caused by external means. If it were mine the first thing I would do is remove what ever covers I had to to enable me to see the cable ends/linkages on the carbs. Then I would twist the throttle back and forth while looking at that area and see if I could see detect movement at the throttle cable end where it attaches to the carb linkages. If it is obviously trying to rotate the receiver on the carbs (known by seeing the throttle cable tighten and loosen while you rotate the grip) but unable to do so, I would start by spraying the carb linkages real well with some WD40 or other light weight spray lube = dont be conservative, spray it good. After that, take a long screw driver and try to lightly and gently lift up on the reciever some while turning the throttle - careful not to put to much pressure on stuff - you dont wanna bend anything. If the throttle is stuck due to the throttle plate bushings being dry, I would see if I could get to the plates thru the throat of the carbs with a long screw driver (be careful here too cause you have to push the slide open to get to the throttle plates - if the slides are sticking and you push on em to hard they can crack = spray them with a little WD too).

If there is no movement down on the carb end of the throttle cable, I would be suspecious that the throttle cable or the throttle assembly itself is locked up. If this is the case, I would remove the screws up on the grip that hold the throttle assembly together, disassemble the throttle, pull the cables out of the assembly and push some WD40 into the cables with a cable luber and try to free up the cables that way.

Once I got the throttle working as it should I would pull the diaphram covers on the carbs, remove the slides, open the drains on the carb bowls, push carb cleaner into each carb with a syringe filled with carb cleaner until the cleaner flowed from the metering rod emulsion tubes, shut the drains for a day or so and let em soak. Rehook the syringe, open the drains, pull the cleaner from the bowls one at a time, redo until the cleaner flowed clean back into the syringe, when its clean - refill the bowls with good clean fresh fuel pushed into the bowls with the syringe and pushed in so it too flows a little from the emulsion tubes. Slip the diaphrams/slides back in and hit the starter - no choke - to see if she fires off the fuel in the throats of the carbs. If it does and burns off the fuel, choke it and see if it will stay running.

I would do all of this BEFORE rebuilding the carbs in attempt to assess the bikes condition before I put a bunch of time and effort and $ into carb rebuilds = I dont like surprises... Make sense?

Andy, Welcome!

To look over the linkages and carbs:

Take off driver's seat. 2 bolts underneath.

Turn off petcock. Undo the 2 screws holding the cover around the gas fill.

Take off the vent tube. Unplug electrical connector.

Undo tank. One bolt in rear that was hidden by front of seat, 2 bolts on left front/right front. There's a plastic cover over them that just pops off.

Lift tank a touch...maybe a few inches..enough to watch the linkages. Put a small block of wood under tank to hold it up. Unless you want to take it off. If yes, then take off the fuel line at the petcock and lift tank off.

You might as well drain the tank...probably very old gas in there...Rinse.

Watch the linkages as you gently try to twist the throttle. Understand that the carbs have two throttle wire systems, one for the right grip and one for the cruise control. Both come together at a round linkage under the left front (under where the tank hid it). Both the throttle grip and the cruise control come together there. From there, one set of cables goes to the carb set.

In other words, your grip stuck issue may be on the grip itself and not on the throttles or carbs....or anywhere in between.

So you need to look the situation over, look over the manuals and such, then start at one place (right throttle grip) and work toward the carbs until you find the problem. Or work backwards from the carbs...your call.

It may be nothing more than lubrication of all the cables and junctions at each carb as @cowpuc mentioned. While you are in there, the choke (enrichment) knob should be checked for working easily as well. Making sure each enrichment circuit for each carb is opened and closed with the choke knob.

Enjoy searching the older posts. The threads can be fascinating to follow. Know that at the bottom of each page, the web site adds suggested posts and threads that are related to what you are reading....so you can go way back just following the post suggestions at the bottom of each page.

Good luck...and welcome again from another member from Arizona.

Andy, Welcome!

To look over the linkages and carbs:

Take off driver's seat. 2 bolts underneath.

Turn off petcock. Undo the 2 screws holding the cover around the gas fill.

Take off the vent tube. Unplug electrical connector.

Undo tank. One bolt in rear that was hidden by front of seat, 2 bolts on left front/right front. There's a plastic cover over them that just pops off.

Lift tank a touch...maybe a few inches..enough to watch the linkages. Put a small block of wood under tank to hold it up. Unless you want to take it off. If yes, then take off the fuel line at the petcock and lift tank off.

You might as well drain the tank...probably very old gas in there...Rinse.

Watch the linkages as you gently try to twist the throttle. Understand that the carbs have two throttle wire systems, one for the right grip and one for the cruise control. Both come together at a round linkage under the left front (under where the tank hid it). Both the throttle grip and the cruise control come together there. From there, one set of cables goes to the carb set.

In other words, your grip stuck issue may be on the grip itself and not on the throttles or carbs....or anywhere in between.

So you need to look the situation over, look over the manuals and such, then start at one place (right throttle grip) and work toward the carbs until you find the problem. Or work backwards from the carbs...your call.

It may be nothing more than lubrication of all the cables and junctions at each carb as cowpuc mentioned. While you are in there, the choke (enrichment) knob should be checked for working easily as well. Making sure each enrichment circuit for each carb is opened and closed with the choke knob.

Enjoy searching the older posts. The threads can be fascinating to follow. Know that at the bottom of each page, the web site adds suggested posts and threads that are related to what you are reading....so you can go way back just following the post suggestions at the bottom of each page.

Good luck...and welcome again from another member from Arizona.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or,, just bring it over to a Vaz/Puc fixing station near you,,, me and Vaz,, we can fix ANYTHING and if we cant fix it = you dont pay = not a paying customer in YEARS :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks for the link to the Carb removal post (it's great") and advice. The reason I assume it is the carbs causing the throttle being stuck is the bike has been sitting un started for over a year. Before I bought it the owner was fine with having me pull the fuel tank and looking for a reason why the throttle wouldn't turn, seeing no obvious mechanical issue with the cables or linkage and the fact that the gas had that horrible varnish smell I guessed it was severely gummed up. It did crank over fine (had to bring my own battery) On a side note I found the ad for the bike on offer up and it was over a year old. When I asked the guy why just one ad on one site he said his wife wanted him to sell it and he hated to so he felt that met her requirement of trying to sell it. There were other ads for Ventures and about half of them stated "carbs cleaned / rebuilt" Also the trunk lid was cracked where the prop mounts I assume this is common due to the way it locks rigid on opening but if you forget and push it down excessive pressure is put on that section of the lid. I've already made an aluminum plate to distribute the load over a larger area.

Thanks for the link to the Carb removal post (it's great") and advice. The reason I assume it is the carbs causing the throttle being stuck is the bike has been sitting un started for over a year. Before I bought it the owner was fine with having me pull the fuel tank and looking for a reason why the throttle wouldn't turn, seeing no obvious mechanical issue with the cables or linkage and the fact that the gas had that horrible varnish smell I guessed it was severely gummed up. It did crank over fine (had to bring my own battery) On a side note I found the ad for the bike on offer up and it was over a year old. When I asked the guy why just one ad on one site he said his wife wanted him to sell it and he hated to so he felt that met her requirement of trying to sell it. There were other ads for Ventures and about half of them stated "carbs cleaned / rebuilt" Also the trunk lid was cracked where the prop mounts I assume this is common due to the way it locks rigid on opening but if you forget and push it down excessive pressure is put on that section of the lid. I've already made an aluminum plate to distribute the load over a larger area.

I get that Andy and if I hadn't rebuilt a couple of both mechanical and vacuum operated carbs thru the years I may also have assumed exactly the same thing. Just remember when thinking about figuring out how to unstick the throttle on your RSV that the only means for the carbs themselves to be part of the stuck throttle issue is if the bushings on the butterfly in the throat of the carbs are stuck and, even if that is the cause of the stuck throttle = even those may come free with just a squirt of lube on the external shafts. There is nothing internal on the carbs that are mechanical = all things related to the function of twisting the grip other than those bushings are external of the carbs themselves so the stuck throttle has to pretty much be cable, grip assembly or linkage related.

Now if we were talking about cracked diaphrams, stuck slides, plugged jetting or stuck floats so the bike was either getting to much or no fuel = that would be a different subject and would be cause to possibly have to remove the carbs for cleaning. Make sense?

Andy,

Here is a link to a thread about the throttle linkage and where the cruise control is....

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?49415-Throttle-cable-adjustment

Check to make sure the cruise linkage hasn't bound up or something....I have problems thinking that the carb bodies are bad and the "throttle plates" are sticking or stuck. Just doesn't happen normally. Has to be really gummed up for that to be a problem and usually some good old carb cleaner sprayed down the throats with some gentle finger persuasion will unstick those babies...

Back to the drawing boards...good luck. Let us know what you find....

Yup, my first thought was something is wrong with the throttle cables!! When you get down to the carbs, first thing disconnect the throttle cables there and see if the throttle now turns and do the same with the carb linkage.

Up north here a lot of our bikes are stored for 6 months and yet w don't usually have an issue with the throttle freezing up! If the gas smelled as bad as you say I'll almost bet the bike was left alone for a lot longer than a year. Also, if the owner broke the trunk lid the way you said (which can happen) then I'm thinking the guy either has a temper issue or the elevator doesn't make it to the top floor as the damage you describe is not that common. All of us at one time or another forget to ratchet the lid but as soon as it stops moving the light bulb comes on and we stop and reopen the lid...

Welcome aboard and keep us posted on your progress. Once running you will ,find one of the most comfortable touring bikes ever made IMHO albeit not the quickest Yamaha has ever built, but you still will blow the doors off of a lot of V-Twin bikes out there!

Darn!!!! I hate to admit it,,, but I have to agree with Puc this time around,,,, can't even seem to find a monkey wrench to throw into the mix. You is getting smart Puc!!!

:scared:,,,, now that wasn't REALLY that difficult was it ya lop eared :stirthepot: varmint :stickpoke::big-grin-emoticon: