IGNORED

2006 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe Issues

Hi all,

When I went to start my bike today, it didn’t start up as quickly as usual, it cranked for like 30-40 seconds and finally started. When I take the bike off choke it stalls out, however if I leave the choke on, it will idle fine, but it stalls if I try to rev it up a bit. If anyone can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it. It has never acted up like this until today lol.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi all,

When I went to start my bike today, it didn’t start up as quickly as usual, it cranked for like 30-40 seconds and finally started. When I take the bike off choke it stalls out, however if I leave the choke on, it will idle fine, but it stalls if I try to rev it up a bit. If anyone can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it. It has never acted up like this until today lol.

Thanks,

Josh

Has it been setting a while? If so I'd think carbs clogged.

Did you hear fuel pump clicking?

Has it been setting a while? If so I'd think carbs clogged.

Did you hear fuel pump clicking?

Yes, I just bought it about a month ago and the previous owner said it sat for a year.The fuel pump does click when I turn the key. I have driven it a few times and it was fine until today.

Are all 4 exhaust pipes heating up? My experience is that if it runs on choke the carbs are either stopped up or starving for fuel.

Might check air filters to make sure no mouse nests.

Check vent hoses from carbs and make sure they're clear.

Yup have to say it goes towards lean fuel. You may be able to put some sea foam or Berrymans B12 in the tank and run a little to get some in carbs and let it sit a day or so. may un stick some things.

Yup have to say it goes towards lean fuel. You may be able to put some sea foam or Berrymans B12 in the tank and run a little to get some in carbs and let it sit a day or so. may un stick some things.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

IMHO, it sounds to me too like you are experiencing a starving of fuel condition, very possibly partially plugged jets.. Again,, and understand your getting this from a backyard mechanics pea brain, if you were experiencing a "fat on fuel" condition the symptoms would be the other way around. If it were my bike I would pull the diaphrams and slides, drain the bowls and then refill the bowls with carb cleaner (spray type found at any Auto shop) using a syringe and I would, one at a time, fill the carbs until the carb cleaner flowed out of the emusion tubes that the metering rods on the end of the slides slide into. Once the carb cleaner flows from the emulsion tube on each carb, close the drains and let it sit over night (keep the bike standing as upright as possible - I know the 2nd Gens do not have a center stand like my 1st Gens do which work great for this but maybe placing a board under the side stand getting the as close to standing upright would work in your case unless you have a bike jack you could leave it on?

Next day, hook the syringe back up to one drain at a time, open the drain and pull the cleaner back into the syringe emptying the bowls, look at the carb cleaner, if nasty or discolored, refill syringe with fresh cleaner and repeat. Repeat until all your getting is clear cleaner back into the syringe. Once its clear, force the cleaner back in and pump the syringe to agitate the cleaner in the bowl and then remove with the syringe one more time. Dump the cleaner and refill with good fresh gas and fill the bowls until the gas trickles from the main jets/emulsion tubes. Once all carbs are done put the slides back in, line up the diaphrams, make sure you get the springs back in the caps correctly and put the screws in. Hit starter with no choke and it should start right up on all four. You may have to give it some throttle to get it to clean out.

:sign **** happens:Depending on how it was stored you may want to check your tank for rust, personally I would just check it. If the tank is rusted and you have a plugged fuel filter or petcock screen or, if the carbs are so far gone they need to be taken down and have a full cleaning, that will be much more involved but still VERY doable..

Hope this helps somehow!

Puc

I appreciate the advice everyone.I went to Walmart this evening and picked up a can of sea foam and Berrymans. I disconnected the fuel line from the petcock and used a plastic container to feed into the carbs while it was running a mixture of 40% sea foam and 60 percent gas. I’m going to let it sit for 24 hours and see what happens. If that doesn’t work, then I’ll try the berrymans and cowpucs method.

Thanks,

Josh

Bought my 06" RSTD with 6700 miles on it and sitting for over 2 years, in garage. That was Sept. of 2017. The carbs were full of like a green crystal something. had to rebuild and re -jet. after that, fresh oil, plugs and AF's...runs like a champ. Now have just under 15g on the odometer. Fantastic bike.