IGNORED

Gas Can

JBeierDC

Anyone find a reliable (not prone to leaking) extra gas can that fits in the saddle bags on a RSTD or Venture second gen?

I'm trying to think ahead to those long stretches on trips for the coming season, and remember getting stuck a couple times

with my old bike. Any thoughts?

JB

Anyone find a reliable (not prone to leaking) extra gas can that fits in the saddle bags on a RSTD or Venture second gen?

I'm trying to think ahead to those long stretches on trips for the coming season, and remember getting stuck a couple times

with my old bike. Any thoughts?

JB

I have used a couple quart oil jugs, wrapped in old socks (to keep em from getting a hole worn thru them from rubbing against the rack) tie wrapped under the rack that our motel (tent/sleeping bags/pillows wrapped in a tarp) rides on for years now and found this pretty handy, kinda wayyy old school dorky approach though. I think @VentureFar uses a much more modern approach with some kind of an aftermarket gas bottle made by a very well known outfitter, cant remember the name brand but I am sure, if I am correct on this, Neil will gladly jump in here and brag about it cause it's probably something that his new best friend gave to him for free and he loves to remind me of that kind of stuff:stickpoke:... :hihi:

I also have seen "sealed", one time use, bottles of fuel at Menards that are for exactly what we are talking about. Maybe something to check into if you have a Menards near you JB...

Hey Puc thanks for giving me a shout out.

Actually I have paid for my own MSR 1 liter bottles and have been carrying two of them (2 liters) for for 14 years. I upgraded about 5 years ago to the most current model you can see in the photo. They are available online and at REI. They never leak and I lay them flat in my right bag. They do clank together so I put a rage between them.

The problem is not spilling when you fill them. There is no way for the air to escape so the bubbling comes out the top and over the sides. I always bring baby wipes with me to the gas station. That gets 95% of the gas smell off. I figure 2 liters will get me about 25 miles down the road at 45 mph. If I miscalculated by more than 25 miles I deserve to walk!

VentureFar...

5d7bf3e690d407cd9a0cd99705788d79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Puc thanks for giving me a shout out.

Actually I have paid for my own MSR 1 liter bottles and have been carrying two of them (2 liters) for for 14 years. I upgraded about 5 years ago to the most current model you can see in the photo. They are available online and at REI. They never leak and I lay them flat in my right bag. They do clank together so I put a rage between them.

The problem is not spilling when you fill them. There is no way for the air to escape so the bubbling comes out the top and over the sides. I always bring baby wipes with me to the gas station. That gets 95% of the gas smell off. I figure 2 liters will get me about 25 miles down the road at 45 mph. If I miscalculated by more than 25 miles I deserve to walk!

VentureFar...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190404/5d7bf3e690d407cd9a0cd99705788d79.jpg

You betcha my brother,, its always a pleasure to disturb your peace and quite Venturefar :stickpoke::hihi:!! I actually knew your new best friend had nothing to do with your gas bottles and remember them well from as far back as the Rally in Oregon. I also knew that a lop eared iron buttin farrrr riding varmint like you would have advanced knowledge of carrying xtra fuel.. Pretty much a smart guy aint I :178::happy34:

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT my friend! :happy34:

Guest divey

www.reda-innovations.com

Edit - Click on the Reda Gas Can on their website

Have a look at these. I’ve had one for several years. Even though they’re advertised to fit HD bags, they fit the RSV bag perfectly with the angled side. Zero spillage and zero vapor, even when filled to the top. Definitely peace of mind when travelling in more remote locations. Doug

www.reda-innovations.com

Have a look at these. I’ve had one for several years. Even though they’re advertised to fit HD bags, they fit the RSV bag perfectly with the angled side. Zero spillage and zero vapor, even when filled to the top. Definitely peace of mind when travelling in more remote locations. Doug

I vote for the reda. Thanks for the link Doug.

VentureFar...

Never used one but it seems to me that with the way gasoline expands, you would want to leave some air space in the top of the bottle to give it room to expand...... Perhaps that is why you have had leakage problems in the past????? If the bottle is full of gas, the pressure could build up very high from expanding and cause an otherwise sealed cap to leak.

Thanks for the fast responses guys! love the options too. Will definitely be looking at the Reda as well as a MSR.

May end up using the MSR as a daily ride extra to keep piece of mind, but that Reda might be the best for the long touring days.

Thanks again for the insights!

JB

www.reda-innovations.com

I clicked on the link and read the ad. Nowhere in the ad do they say what the capacity of the gas bottle is. weird.

Guest divey
I clicked on the link and read the ad. Nowhere in the ad do they say what the capacity of the gas bottle is. weird.

I just checked mine and it doesn’t list the capacity but based on the size of my 5 litre can, I’d say this one is a gallon size, perhaps a tad more. Never a problem with expansion in the heat either. Doug

If your solo, I have seen guys get the small 1 gal plastic gas jug and strap it to to a passenger floorboard. Ran across a fellow on the way back from Kentucky on a Nomad that had used that.

Sounds like a great idea IF it doesn't get heated too much by the exhaust pipe.

The Redas look good, but it is strange that they don't give capacity?? The largest from REI is 30 oz. which is a little shy of a quart. If the Reda's are around 1 gal. they would be my choice. Just remember to leave room for expansion when filling them. It could get a bit warm in an RSV saddle bag. 'Specially black.... I remember two members that pulled into Cody WY on fumes 'cause the forgot to top of in Thermopolis 80mi away and nothing but prairie between the two towns... A couple of those Reda's would have given piece of mind.... :-) One RSTD..4.9gals. One RSV w/trailer..5.9gals...

I also have one of the Reda gas cans. I find that it fits a little better in the saddlebag if you fold the bag's bottom foam liner up and let the can sit directly on the bottom of the bag. Holds right at a gallon.

Yea I thought about heat too. What if you took a thin piece of paneling or plywood over cut by a couple inches and it would act as a heat shield. I hate to give up storage. But if your solo you have options.