IGNORED

How many of us have had trouble free miles on our Star ventures and Eluders

Just wondering how many of us have not had to have this bike in the shop for any major fixes. So far mine has 13000. KMS and has been trouble free going in for the service check this week when I get it out of storage. Only thing I have noticed is a little more engine noise in heavy traffic when heat outside is above 30 celsius but as soon as I start moving it goes away. Would be nice to hear some positive feedback as well.

Here is an interesting video put out by an actual owner of the SVTC that clearly addresses your question Zoey that the readers following this thread may find rewarding. IMHO, because the person producing this video is somewhat errant in his understanding of the bike (he is still thinking that Yamaha is going to come up with a 2019 model offering while even the Dealerships are stating there will be no 2019's with the next offering being an updated scoot being released for 2020, he is also advising owners to not follow their owners manual and instead encouraging them to jump to oils with modifiers instead of following factory specs which, IMHO, can backfire come time for warranty coverage in my experience) but, that said,, he does have the engine failure issues broken down to only 2 varified cases with all other cases being declared as internet folly and untrue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3-xwPNaZhw&feature=youtu.be

Well, since I was one of those with the lifter issue and posted evidence I can say this. I had the issue repaired at 8k miles and currently have 20k miles and she’s been running like a top ever since the repair. No, it wasn’t fun to go through that, but Yamaha made it right and that’s what matters.

As far as “oil” goes, I’ve found the bike runs smoother & quieter on a full synthetic oil than regular. Don’t worry about the warranty because the manual Shows a number of different weights are just fine. The oil just has to MEET OR EXCEED manufacturers specifications. Finding a true Group IV or V true synthetic with good levels of ZDDP and esther is a good idea. These types of oils EXCEED base recommneddd oils and will not void warranty. Flat tappet lifters NEED this kind of protection.

Pesonally, despite the repair incident this is the nicest touring bike I’ve ever owned INCLUDING my 91 Venture Royale which I put over 120k miles on. There’s a reason they called it a Transcontinental!

My personal opinion is that people are making too big a deal out of this. The vast majority of the new bikes are running trouble free. I know of at least one rider who is already approaching 50,000 miles. I feel bad for the very few who have had an issue but there are only 2 or 3 confirmed cases that I know of. That certainly is no consolation to those who have experienced it. From what I understand, Yamaha admitted that some engines were assembled without the proper break in lubricant on the cams. Don't know if that is true or not but makes some sense.

When you look back at the history of the Venture, it is not the first time that there have been first year issues with new models. The first year or two experienced problems with stator cooling, transmissions, frames that rusted and broke, and a handful of other issues. The second gen models had some issues with excessive engine noise that plagued them until the end though I think it did get slightly better. I know of at least one owner who had the engine replaced by Yamaha on a 1999 model and I can tell you, it was LOUD. Many clutch baskets were replaced, rear shocks were an issue for years, etc.

I've not got many mile on my '18 yet but I'm not too worried about it. If I have a problem, Yamaha will take care of it. I honestly don't think that I will. If it happens, I will certainly be disappointed but it won't be the end of the world.

Well, since I was one of those with the lifter issue and posted evidence I can say this. I had the issue repaired at 8k miles and currently have 20k miles and she’s been running like a top ever since the repair. No, it wasn’t fun to go through that, but Yamaha made it right and that’s what matters.

As far as “oil” goes, I’ve found the bike runs smoother & quieter on a full synthetic oil than regular. Don’t worry about the warranty because the manual Shows a number of different weights are just fine. The oil just has to MEET OR EXCEED manufacturers specifications. Finding a true Group IV or V true synthetic with good levels of ZDDP and esther is a good idea. These types of oils EXCEED base recommneddd oils and will not void warranty. Flat tappet lifters NEED this kind of protection.

Pesonally, despite the repair incident this is the nicest touring bike I’ve ever owned INCLUDING my 91 Venture Royale which I put over 120k miles on. There’s a reason they called it a Transcontinental!

Chief Gunner, what was your production number/date? Thanks.

My personal opinion is that people are making too big a deal out of this. The vast majority of the new bikes are running trouble free. I know of at least one rider who is already approaching 50,000 miles. I feel bad for the very few who have had an issue but there are only 2 or 3 confirmed cases that I know of. That certainly is no consolation to those who have experienced it. From what I understand, Yamaha admitted that some engines were assembled without the proper break in lubricant on the cams. Don't know if that is true or not but makes some sense.

When you look back at the history of the Venture, it is not the first time that there have been first year issues with new models. The first year or two experienced problems with stator cooling, transmissions, frames that rusted and broke, and a handful of other issues. The second gen models had some issues with excessive engine noise that plagued them until the end though I think it did get slightly better. I know of at least one owner who had the engine replaced by Yamaha on a 1999 model and I can tell you, it was LOUD. Many clutch baskets were replaced, rear shocks were an issue for years, etc.

I've not got many mile on my '18 yet but I'm not too worried about it. If I have a problem, Yamaha will take care of it. I honestly don't think that I will. If it happens, I will certainly be disappointed but it won't be the end of the world.

Well said Don, well said! It’s a bummer that a few have had some issues, but that doesn’t mean the entire model is a hunk of junk as some would have you think. It truly is a world class touring machine, and it’s cutting edge technology on a first year release. To think that there will be no problems with a new model is naive at best. To take a few documented problems and then berate the whole model based on a few instances is irresponsible and “sour grapes” IMHO.

Chief Gunner, what was your production number/date? Thanks.

There’s a whole discussion thread on here where us SVTC owners were exploring the theory your considering. My last four is 0694. We exchanged S/N’s and were looking for a common thread or denominator regarding the lifter issue, but it didn’t seem to be sequentially recognized. Oddly, we did notice too that WHEN you ordered or got your bike didn’t necessarily mean you got a lower S/N. I ordered mine in July of 2017 and was the first person in the Southeast region to get mine, yet my # is 0694. Someone else in Georgia got there’s 7 months after I did and their # was almost 250 lower.

I’m just saying all this to save you from wasting the time looking for a commonality which has already been explored

AD INFINITUM.

Edited by ChiefGunner

Well said Don, well said! It’s a bummer that a few have had some issues, but that doesn’t mean the entire model is a hunk of junk as some would have you think. It truly is a world class touring machine, and it’s cutting edge technology on a first year release. To think that there will be no problems with a new model is naive at best. To take a few documented problems and then berate the whole model based on a few instances is irresponsible and “sour grapes” IMHO.

There are old threads discussing this from before the first ones were delivered. Some including me made the statement about buying the first run of anything would include some issues. Bikes, cars, trucks, etc are going to find a few growing pains with new designs. That being said if I laid out that kind of cash and had problems quickly I'd be somewhat upset too. I bought my wife a new car in 94 that exhibited some electrical/electronic issues is the first two weeks, Oldsmobile had the car more than we did that month. After some urging by me they stepped up and gave us another identical car that we put nearly 200k on with only maintenance parts ( water pump, brakes, etc). I'm sure Yamaha will stand behind their issues and make it right. While I've said it before the gen 3 isn't the bike for me I hope it's the best thing to come along since the 1st gens and give miles of smiles.

There are old threads discussing this from before the first ones were delivered. Some including me made the statement about buying the first run of anything would include some issues. Bikes, cars, trucks, etc are going to find a few growing pains with new designs. That being said if I laid out that kind of cash and had problems quickly I'd be somewhat upset too. I bought my wife a new car in 94 that exhibited some electrical/electronic issues is the first two weeks, Oldsmobile had the car more than we did that month. After some urging by me they stepped up and gave us another identical car that we put nearly 200k on with only maintenance parts ( water pump, brakes, etc). I'm sure Yamaha will stand behind their issues and make it right. While I've said it before the gen 3 isn't the bike for me I hope it's the best thing to come along since the 1st gens and give miles of smiles.

Right there with you Newkirk! Even though, as you and Don pointed out, with the 1st Gens there were a lot of newbie issues and, IMHO Yamaha did not step up to the plate with full recalls on and should have, I do think that times have changed and they cannot afford to not follow up with any needed updates/recalls on this one - especially since they are going toe to toe with HD. Mom Yam has wayy to much in the game to just let it slide. I still can't help but wonder if the 2019 time off and jumping directly to the 2020 models as they are doing won't end up seeing any updates they deem as necessary taking place on this one. Yamaha is a great company and has been the mainstay of many motorcyclist, both on and off road, for many years - I am sure they will do what ever is necessary to maintain their image! :happy34:

What was that saying??? I am trying to remember...

If it has *its or *ires it is bound to give you trouble....

Yeah... that's the one...

I seriously *hought *wice before posting *his. Probably shoulda *hought *hrice...

• 1 year later...

I have 12000 miles on mine, no issues at all, some GPS quirks that I have worked through and I wish the VOX actually worked. (hard to believe that with all of Yamaha's electronics knowledge that the VOX doesn't work). I have totally reworked the stock seat, twice. I had the left saddlebag lock stick. Yamaha replaced lid and re keyed new lock to original key without issue. Mechanically, I broke mine in fairly hard as I do with any new motor. I run Yamalube full synthetic and change it between 4-5K miles. I went through the rear Bridgestone Excedra at about 8K miles. Wasn't a great fan of it only because of it's squarer profile. I replaced with a Dunlop Elite 4 with MT tread. I always rode the E4 on my wing so I am familiar with it and trust it. I have ran it at 80 mph all day long without issue.

Love the bike, hated the seat and the lack of VOX communication considering a Goldwing has had trouble free VOX communication for like 20 years. Having to push a button to talk to your passenger is archaic.

The stock seat is a poor design for the rider. You sit on a pad that ends at the backrest. This creates a gap between where you sit and the backrest. I originally filled that gap and used stiffer foam in the saddle and recovered the entire seat in new leather. ( you can see it in another thread) initially is was comfortable, then I got tailbone pressure issues that I have never in my life had. A tweak here and there and still issues. I realized that any tailbone issues that I had were being magnified buy the seating position on the bike. Having your feet out in front of me might have seemed comfortable at first but that position puts all the pressure on my tailbone and right up the spine. The BMW, Goldwing and even HD's have your feet set back under you more, supporting more of the weight of your body. I used to race bicycles and still ride many miles. I am using the idea of pressure relief on the seat now. I have removed the sliding adjustable backrest and am having the seating surface and the sliding backrest turned into one piece of foam and I am using a pressure relief groove much like you see on some bicycle seats to relieve pressure on my tailbone. By using a stiffer foam which I like, I should take the bulk of pressure on my sit bone area and not so much (hopefully next to zero) on my tailbone. I'll post a pic when it's done (again) this weekend.

--

31,000 and the only problem has been getting the CB radio to work (finally did, but don't use it now anyway) and Sirius radio doesn't always load so I have to turn engine off and restart system after a minute or so.

--

I notice that LongHaulPaul has 45,000 trouble free miles. That's in one year!

...and we all know, LongHaulPaul added 55,000 more miles with no major problems. He was changing oil every 10K miles. As for my SVTC, I am closing in on 4,000 miles - not much yet since I've also been adding miles on my '07 RSV. No problems so far...

Only 3K on mine... only issue is one saddlebag lock failed in September 2019 (month after I got the bike) and the other in June 2020. The last one I blame on Yamaha because they refused in September to acknowledge that the clip that holds the lock solenoid in place was a faulty design. This week, when I called looking for the replacement parts for the one that failed in June, they finally admitted that the clip design was faulty and that on the 2020's and the replacement parts they have been sending out to repair the issue have a new clip design that should solve the problem.