IGNORED

CB and antenna's for 2018 Venture

I decided to finally give my CB a were on the transcontinental. When I turn it on I get nothing - not even dead air - just silence. I have run through all of the channels. Did anyone else have this problem. I am assuming something is wrong with the set up when I picked it up. I am going to address it with my dealer, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I am missing on my end.

Also - anyone changed out the antennas for shorties? I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions on good ones. I know it will cut down on the range, but would like to get the best I can, but get something shorter than the stocks. - I only saw a thread on this for the Royal Venture, but was curious for the 2018.

Thanks

Just curious. What did you have the squelch set on?

I have the distinct feeling you have a clear solution. - I hadn't touched the Squelch. It defaults at 8. I turn it to 0 and finally heard static. That was it for all channels though.

That answered my question. I was wondering if you ever heard static. That at least shows that it was powering on. I'm surprised you didn't here any at 8. Since I typically use mine only for communication with riders in my group, I always kept it set on 18 or so in order to block out pretty much everything else. To be honest though, that was on my other bikes, really haven't played with this one but will soon.

That answered my question. I was wondering if you ever heard static. That at least shows that it was powering on. I'm surprised you didn't here any at 8. Since I typically use mine only for communication with riders in my group, I always kept it set on 18 or so in order to block out pretty much everything else. To be honest though, that was on my other bikes, really haven't played with this one but will soon.

I keep my squelch set on 3. I talk to truckers all the time on the road, a lot of times I just let them know I’m coming up along their side.

as far as the airwaves being quiet, that does happen. I wonder if he stopped on channel 19 and did a radio check to see if anybody had their radio on but just that nobody was talking?

I decided to finally give my CB a were on the transcontinental. When I turn it on I get nothing - not even dead air - just silence. I have run through all of the channels. Did anyone else have this problem. I am assuming something is wrong with the set up when I picked it up. I am going to address it with my dealer, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I am missing on my end.

Also - anyone changed out the antennas for shorties? I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions on good ones. I know it will cut down on the range, but would like to get the best I can, but get something shorter than the stocks. - I only saw a thread on this for the Royal Venture, but was curious for the 2018.

Thanks

There are some ”shorty’s” available for the Venture at either JP cycles or Big Bike Parts. Can’t remeber which one. I can’t attest to their effectiveness because I’ve never used them. I like the look of my twin whips!

I keep my squelch set on 3. I talk to truckers all the time on the road, a lot of times I just let them know I’m coming up along their side.

as far as the airwaves being quiet, that does happen. I wonder if he stopped on channel 19 and did a radio check to see if anybody had their radio on but just that nobody was talking?

No I didn't. It didn't feel like dead air, but completely dead. I will give that a try though. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

--

I just discovered there are left and right antennas. The longer based one is the left CB antenna. I says which near the end if the black rubber part. That could matter. I never paid attention to which one was on which side.

--

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found a cure for this issue? I have set the squelch to 0 and got the static, but sitting on an access road to the Hiway (91), I have heard no chatter on 19, 17, or 11... I have noted the delay in the mic; I also need to work on understanding how that functions. I turned the VOX off, as wind noise kept the mic open for intercom. I am also discovering that sometimes, when the passenger uses her button, the com stays open....I can close it by hitting my trigger...

I am only beginning day three with the bike...