IGNORED

Head set whining noise

I have something similar that I haven't had time to troubleshoot. In my case it's bearable. Have you tried adjusting the individual vol knob on the handlebar? I found that my noise changes vol with that knob, but NOT with the main knob. At first I had the bar knob set at max, but if I turn it down one click the whine gets softer, and when I turn up the main vol the noise does not go up.

If you search the archives you will find some stuff about this kind of problem. Marcarl had a similar issue which I don't remember if he ever resolved.

In a nutshell, there's basically two sources - ignition and alternator. If it's a pure whine, it's probably alternator and coming in through the power wire. Some have said that the factory noise filter loses functionality as it ages and that can be changed. If it's a static type noise it from the ignition system and coming through the air. Changing wires' proximity to one another can help, as can new resistor plugs, caps and sometimes wires. Both types will vary with RPM.

Jeremy

Check the wiring to the rear headset connector every now and then I get the squeel on my 83 when the wife is on the scoot and have to adjust the handle bar mounted volume controller down to stop the noise. My squeel sounds like microphone feed back.

Jeff