IGNORED

Just showing her off a bit

ChiefGunner

Hey all, loving the heck outta my new Hannigan trailer. Tows like a dream too! The odd part is that the trailer has hydraulic brakes on it. I talked to Hannigan and they said they made some with it but they were made specifically for export to France per their specifications. Not sure if that’s what this is or if the previous owner had them installed. Either way, it’s makes it so you can’t feel the trailer when braking.

Thought I’d share a pic of “upgrades”. Had a custom trailer bra made to match my seat. Yes, I get a lot of comments on it!

9E08E96D-8171-4620-9FE9-DA23BD59FA03.jpg

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,,, THAT is SHARP Chief!!!:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:

Never was a trailer pullin kinda varmint and partly because of the thought of any weird things that having no brakes on the trailer might create (like having to do an emergency manuever in a corner at hi speeds). Have you pulled a trailer behind a scoot with no brakes on the trailer before (as you mention,, that would be the "common" design from what I have seen)? If so,, what are thoughts on the comparison between the two?

NICE Chief,, REALLY NICE!!:ice_congrats-vi6886

By the way,, I assume your trailer brakes are electric? Or are they "bump" activated hydraulics?

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,,, THAT is SHARP Chief!!!:clap2::dancefool::thumbsup:

Never was a trailer pullin kinda varmint and partly because of the thought of any weird things that having no brakes on the trailer might create (like having to do an emergency manuever in a corner at hi speeds). Have you pulled a trailer behind a scoot with no brakes on the trailer before (as you mention,, that would be the "common" design from what I have seen)? If so,, what are thoughts on the comparison between the two?

NICE Chief,, REALLY NICE!!:ice_congrats-vi6886

By the way,, I assume your trailer brakes are electric? Or are they "bump" activated hydraulics?

Thank you cowpuc! Yes, I’ve had trailers for both my touring bikes. My 91 Venture Royale I built the trailer for it using one of those Harbor Frieght trailer kits. I was one of the first to do it this way using a car top carrier in it. You’ve seen them out there now marketed as one of those “My Buddy” trailers. I went to a couple huge international rally’s back then and had all kinds of people asking me about it. Never thought of it from a business standpoint, but the next thing I know, “My Buddy” appears! Who’d have thunk??

In answer to your question about brakes... yes, this trailer has “bump” brakes. They are adjusted perfectly! I was ripping through 55mph posted mountain roads at 70-75mph with ZERO problems. The trailer tracked perfectly and if I had to brake hard before going into a corner, the trailer didn’t try to push me through it as was the case with my “non braking” trailer. With the non braking trailer I had to be more careful to setup my approach speed cuz braking in the corner felt like it was trying to shove my backside around.

I think having the brakes will be essential because my self built one was only 18 cu ft and had a load limit of about 250lbs. The new one is 23 cu ft and has a load limit of 350lbs the trailer itself is 155lbs. If I’m pulling over 500lbs behind me, I want some help in braking.

You also asked about “emergency maneuvers”. I thought I’d mention this setup is a hitch PIN, not a standard ball AND it is a 360 degree swivel. God forbid the trailer FLIPS, it’s not going to pull the bike over with it! They do make swivel toungues for use with a standard ball hitch, but I liked the clearance in the pin style better.

Many years ago at a rally, I had DROOLED over Hannigan setup. I feel truly blessed to finally have it!

Oh, BTW... here’s a pic of my old scoot with trailer taken on an 8 state tour back in 93 BEFORE I wrecked it and had it re-painted Blue.

Pic was taken in Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Colorado 1st week of October.

2-BA8-AB25-183-C-4-D70-87-ED-881-EEA73-BA6-A.jpg

Edited by ChiefGunner

Good looking setup. Hannigan is built here in my hometown. I've spent quite a bit of time around their shop. They make nice stuff.

Thank you! I would tend to agree with you about quality. It was either Hannigan (which are hard to find used) or a Bushtec. IMHO, those are the top two brands and either one could be arguable for being number ONE.

Thank you! I would tend to agree with you about quality. It was either Hannigan (which are hard to find used) or a Bushtec. IMHO, those are the top two brands and either one could be arguable for being number ONE.

One of older brothers worked there for several years in development. I don't know how much he did on trailers but he designed bodies for trikes and built the molds. He designed the RSV trike many here have. The volunteer fire dept in our county asked for our help during the Hannigan fire, I fought part of that. After the fire I helped them install the new paint booths and a few other things.

One of older brothers worked there for several years in development. I don't know how much he did on trailers but he designed bodies for trikes and built the molds. He designed the RSV trike many here have. The volunteer fire dept in our county asked for our help during the Hannigan fire, I fought part of that. After the fire I helped them install the new paint booths and a few other things.

Very cool! I’m glad the fire didn’t wipe them out. Hannigan & Lehman are the best looking trike kits IMHO.

Edited by ChiefGunner
Spelling