IGNORED

Probably almost made a mistake

BlueSky

My 85 Kawa ZN700 needs a new tire before inspection next month. I saw this Pirelli Sport Demon 130/90-16 Rear Tire on ebay for $99.95 which is about 2/3 of new price. Looking closely at the photos revealed a 4311 build date. So, I thought I could get it cheap and bid $60. They came back with 94.95 and I bid $30 and they came back with $89.95 which I rejected. Probably way too old,7 1/2 yrs, to be buying anyway. The existing rear tire on my bike was 5 years old when it was delivered from Motorcycle Superstores and it was installed in 2010. So, it is now 14 yrs old. It's a Metzler Lazertec which is a sport bike tire and it has amazing grip but only lasted 4k miles over 9 yrs. The bike is 500lbs with 74hp and I do love to turn up the wick. Grip is the most important aspect of motorcycle tires to me. So, I suppose I'll be looking for a newish tire, maybe a Bridgestone BT45.

I'm not a fan of old tires. Matter of fact, I won't ride on anything older than 8 years. They start getting hard, and lose grip. And riding on 2 wheels is not worth saving a few bucks on. I would have been disappointed if I bought a tire from Motorcycle Superstore that was 5 years old. I have my local store order them, they usually will match internet prices (then stick me on the install, lol)

I'd grab one of these = https://www.ebay.com/itm/130-90-16-Shinko-712-Rear-Tire/332581065971?epid=171119424&hash=item4d6f6054f3:g:76kAAOSwpWBaoubR&frcectupt=true

, spoon er on and be riding the back wheel of that scoot faster then you could say "why did I even consider putting a 7 1/2 year old shoe on this sweetheart" Sky!! Them Shinks are AWESOME tires and for the price (with free shipping) is outstanding!!

I second the Shinko tires. Put two on my RSMV (because Puc said to:whistling:) and they are great.:happy65:

:farmer:

:scratchchin: I did the same cause @videoarizona said to:whistling: and told Sly about it:happy34:,,, heyyyyy,,, wait a second,,, am I startin to see a pattern developing here :detective:

:sign Rock On: VR MC :sign Rock On:

I would have been disappointed if I bought a tire from Motorcycle Superstore that was 5 years old.

Motorcycle Superstore was bought by or merged with JPCycles maybe partly due to their service or maybe just the downturn in interest in motorcycles. Evidently, re-cycles the ebay seller thinks that old Pirelli is okay to sell.

Yup, too old of a tire at any price! Tire manufacturers recommend NOT using a tire older than 6 years. This really came to light many years ago when FoMoCo installed new but aged tires on their Explorers and a few people died from tire failure accidents. 2 wheels are bad enough but 2 wheels are pretty much unforgiving with a blowout...

well, I ended up ordering a Bridgestone Battlax BT45V 130/90V-16 tire from DennisKirk since they were the cheapest on that tire. Now, I have to find my tire tools and see if I can install it. I've never installed a tire before....... I hope nobody is watching when I give it a try. :rotf:

well, I ended up ordering a Bridgestone Battlax BT45V 130/90V-16 tire from DennisKirk since they were the cheapest on that tire. Now, I have to find my tire tools and see if I can install it. I've never installed a tire before....... I hope nobody is watching when I give it a try. :rotf:

:sign Rock On:!!! Of course,,, a full fledged club report is in order once ya get er spooned on, balanced and wrung out on the road right brother :fingers crossed:

Installation 101:

I got a notice from ebay that the 7 1/2 yr old Pirelli sold for $90! Maybe the purchaser knows how old it is?

Today my new Bridgestone Battlax BT45 was delivered. It has a build date of 3818, a fairly new tire. I should make a video of me installing it! Probably get lots of laughs!

• 4 months later...

Today I rode the Kawasaki about 40 miles each way to the monthly retiree luncheon. On the way there, a truck stopped suddenly in front of me and I hit the brakes hard. The new BT45 rear tire broke loose, seems to me way quicker than with the replaced Metzler Lasertec. I was able to modulate the rear brake without going down. I smelled the burning rubber. The Bridgestone V rated BT45 is a dual compound rear tire with the harder compound in the center. I shoulda bought a sport bike tire. Then on the way back a rain cloud dropped it's bottom on me and I found out it doesn't grip very well in the rain either...... Oh well! Famous last words!