IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there everybody, I've a yamaha xvz 1200 venture royale 1983 I need to change the timing chain as it's getting very ticky and rattly, does anybody know how many chains there is on it before taking off the rocker covers to find out. Thanks for your help guys.

My carb guy just informed me of the following: " looks like someone has defeated the vacuum petcock on the bike. Do you want a better plug for this nipple or are you intending to put the vacuum petcock back in service?"

Could someone explain this to me. Vacuum petcock? Purpose of blocking off? Thanks

My carb guy just informed me of the following: " looks like someone has defeated the vacuum petcock on the bike. Do you want a better plug for this nipple or are you intending to put the vacuum petcock back in service?"

Could someone explain this to me. Vacuum petcock? Purpose of blocking off? Thanks

Some answers here:

https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C2CHFX_enCA434CA456&ei=KlA2XcfINKiBk-4Pgvi9wAM&q=vacuum+petcock&oq=vacuum+petcock&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i67j0l9.2460.3793..6590...0.0..0.130.605.8j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i22i30.VaOKpcN032g

To be perfectly honest, I 'm surprised the '83(or any Gen1 for that matter) actually has a vacuum operated petcock. On a gravity feed carbureted engine, the vacuum valve is almost a necessity. The gen ones are reliant on the fuel pump to feed the carbs. No way can a stuck float cause a carb to flood if the electrics are not enabled.

I don't know what he is talking about .... and neither does he!

The Venture never had a "vacuum petcock" for the fuel tank.

I suspect that he sees the vacuum port on the number 2 carb and thinks that is for a vacuum petcock.

Uniquely, on the 1983 only, that vacuum port was connected to the "Boost Sensor" (vacuum advance unit that sent a signal to the TCI).

From 1984 on, the Boost Sensor got its vacuum from the intake port of number cylinder.

If you still have the original TCI (black label, 26H-10) you need the vacuum pickup to remain on that port on the number two carb.

1983 Boost Sensor TCI vacuum port.jpg26H 1983..jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer
added photos

A vacuum operated petcock is a good idea I think but your bike probably didn't come with one or has the need for one. The purpose is to shut off the fuel every time the engine shuts off. This helps prevent the possibility of hydrolocking the engine and it also might help prevent you from becoming a crispy critter in the event of an accident.

Here is a pic of what he was trying to explain. Also, there is a pic of 2 rubber plugs that are in the wrong place which will cause the bike to run extremely rich.

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

You were correct. Carb guy informed me it's been over 20 yrs since he's rebuilt one and I told him what it connects to.

The Venture never had a "vacuum petcock" for the fuel tank.

I suspect that he sees the vacuum port on the number 2 carb and thinks that is for a vacuum petcock.

Uniquely, on the 1983 only, that vacuum port was connected to the "Boost Sensor" (vacuum advance unit that sent a signal to the TCI).

From 1984 on, the Boost Sensor got its vacuum from the intake port of number cylinder.

If you still have the original TCI (black label, 26H-10) you need the vacuum pickup to remain on that port on the number two carb.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117145https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117146

Okay, back home now. Rebuilt one front fork yesterday with new progressive springs. Followed all instructions. Compressed fork all the way down, poured in new fork oil (10w) 5" from top around 400ml or 13.5 ounces. pumped fork several times to remove air. inserted spring with 1 inch spacer provided by progressive. I have a diy brace i have used previous years on goldwings to thread fork cap on, worked like a charm.

This fork is very stiff. I put all my body weight on it and it barley budged. Is this supposed to be so stiff?

thanx

I might try removing the spacer.

Edited by made2care

I cut the spacer in half and went with 410ml. Not as stiff but of course will only truly tell once on the bike. The first fork must have been binding or maybe i overtightened the bolt at bottom. Anyway, both are done now, onto the next part.

Here is a pic of what he was trying to explain. Also, there is a pic of 2 rubber plugs that are in the wrong place which will cause the bike to run extremely rich.

Who exactly is working on your carbs? Those plugs appear to be in the correct positions, i have rebuilt 12 carbs on these 83s counting each one, so 3 sets. I haven't been on much lately got way way to much stuff going on. those plugs should also be replaced IMHO! The big plug goes in the middle with that piece flipped down the small plug should fit snug over the pilot jet, then there should be another jet at the bottom basically just a brass screw with a hole in. I invested in an ultrasonic cleaner and it works really well for clearing out the very small passages in the carbs. But if it were me I would have him replace the idle jet screw like it says in the video. That's just my Input. I bought a gold and cream 87. Guy originally put it up as an 83 on facebook. It is a pretty complete bike. Also if you by chance have a red or orange box for the TCI its possible its the reason the vacuum port is plugged off. I have an aftermarket TCI unit from regulatorsrectifers.com it goes off voltage some how and there is a bit of a difference between Tinker and Riva. Tinker being the one with the aftermarket in it and she seems to more of a boost then Riva. Sorry to ramble but just suggesting possibilities.

Also another possibility on the vacuum being plugged someone had the 41r TCI unit in the bike which runs off the sync port on number 2 carb.

Who exactly is working on your carbs? Those plugs appear to be in the correct positions, i have rebuilt 12 carbs on these 83s counting each one, so 3 sets. I haven't been on much lately got way way to much stuff going on. those plugs should also be replaced IMHO! The big plug goes in the middle with that piece flipped down the small plug should fit snug over the pilot jet, then there should be another jet at the bottom basically just a brass screw with a hole in. I invested in an ultrasonic cleaner and it works really well for clearing out the very small passages in the carbs. But if it were me I would have him replace the idle jet screw like it says in the video. That's just my Input. I bought a gold and cream 87. Guy originally put it up as an 83 on facebook. It is a pretty complete bike. Also if you by chance have a red or orange box for the TCI its possible its the reason the vacuum port is plugged off. I have an aftermarket TCI unit from regulatorsrectifers.com it goes off voltage some how and there is a bit of a difference between Tinker and Riva. Tinker being the one with the aftermarket in it and she seems to more of a boost then Riva. Sorry to ramble but just suggesting possibilities.

Mike Nixon who owns a carb business known as " the motorcycle project" . He's out of Arizona and has been working on carbs for many years. I will definitely keep your notes you have made and check everything when I get the carbs back. Thanks for the info.

here is a current pic of the bike. Still have a ways to go but making progress!

image.jpg

Mike Nixon who owns a carb business known as " the motorcycle project" . He's out of Arizona and has been working on carbs for many years. I will definitely keep your notes you have made and check everything when I get the carbs back. Thanks for the info.

here is a current pic of the bike. Still have a ways to go but making progress!

Almost a different BIKE!! What are you using to polish the metal of the motor?

Get excited since I'm close to placing wheels on but decided to derust gas tank.

This morning on my way to the shed to get gas tank, a kite(crazy bird) swooped down and almost took my head off! Little bastard!! Come to find out, the entire town is having issues with these birds. A local golfer just the other day ended up going to the ER for stitches. Anyway, I called a a few crack shots to help out.

After barely retrieving my tank, I cleaned the exterior, sucked out the loose rust and the poured in some Evapo- Rust. This stuff is great but is pricey, so I just fill it almost halfway and rotate every 2 hrs. While that's working I might move to wheels and handle bars.

IMG_3117.jpg

Well, ladies and gents, she is now officially a roller again. Sitting nice and healthy on her newly reinforced frame. Since I purchased her in March many hours have been spent to rectify various blemishes and many more remain but I must state this, getting her back on her wheels is definitely a milestone. I really appreciate all the help and guidance from many on this forum thus far and am looking forward for more help in the months to come.

IMG_3118.jpg

So I noticed this motorcycle in my neighborhood at the beginning of summer. Owner has it sitting in his driveway and never moved. From a distance it looked very similar to my blue 1967 Yamaha 180 that I spent a year restoring. I ended up selling the Yamaha and immediately had regrets. Today, I saw the owner out in his driveway, never met the guy but decided to walk up and ask him about the old bike that's Ben parked . It's in very bad shape! We started chatting and I ask him what year it was and what he intended to do. He responded, it's a 65, do you want it? I replied if u r giving it away, I will take it! So now .......... looks like it's a Honda dream. I pick

it up Friday. Geesh, what have I done!!