IGNORED

Enough Power

Red Ryder

Hey all, looking for RSV Triked Owners thoughts.

I have been looking at trikes awhile.

Even thought about triking my 08 Harley Ultra, but on Harley sites many complain about power, unless you upgrade engine, sprockets, etc.

So, I realize as a previous RSV owner it had power on two wheels, but was wondering those of you with RSV Trikes, does your bikes ever struggle on highway speeds, up mountains or pulling a trailer?

Mainly does it have Enough Power?

Thank You-

Hey you always need "more power" as Tim the toolman says. My trike seems to have adequate power riding 2 up and loaded, I do tend to keep the revs up more than when I was on 2 wheels. I will stay in 3rd most of the time around town and stay in 4th up until about 60-65 mph. I wished the RSV had more power when I was on 2 wheels and still do on the trike, but in reality it has plenty of power to tour anywhere you want to go.

I doubt you will be disappointed.

Craig

If I were gonna trike one of these smaller motored V-4's I think I would play around with tossing some gearing at it. My V-Max was lowered geared and probably via the rear end. I would probably take a close look at dropping in a V-Max rear end for the lower gear ratio (if what I am thinking is true). The stock ratio's to torque specs are about right for the weight of the stock bike w/two up and loaded but add in the weight of the trike kit with live axle to 2 wheels and then towing a trailer (if one chooses to do so), I too wonder if that isn't a bit much for stock torque to weight ratio..

If I were gonna trike one of these smaller motored V-4's I think I would play around with tossing some gearing at it. My V-Max was lowered geared and probably via the rear end. I would probably take a close look at dropping in a V-Max rear end for the lower gear ratio (if what I am thinking is true). The stock ratio's to torque specs are about right for the weight of the stock bike w/two up and loaded but add in the weight of the trike kit with live axle to 2 wheels and then towing a trailer (if one chooses to do so), I too wonder if that isn't a bit much for stock torque to weight ratio..

The Hannigans use a Ford Tbird rear, flipped upside down. I am sure with enough thought you could come up with a gearset that would do alittle better in the bottom end.

Craig

When I first got the RSV trike I thought it was under powered, but after some reading on the forums I figured out I was lugging it to death. You see I was riding a Stratoliner which is a big inch V- twin with lotsa torque. After I realized the V-4 liked to rev everything was good to go. It makes about the same HP as all the other touring bikes but just at higher RPMs. As a side note when I started riding the piss outta it my MPG went up from 30 to 35 !

Most trike conversions will give you lower gearing in the differential. The Tri-Wing kit I had on my "05" used a 2:42 gear ratio while my "09" Hannigan used a 3:73 gearing. I much more preferred the 3:73 gearing Hannigan used as it preformed much better in hills & trailer towing. The 3:73 Gearing will raise engine rpm's approximately 500rpm's at 70mph.

Been all over country with our RSV Hannigan trike. As others have mentioned, it's good to keep rev's up. Climbed Mt. Washington a few times, once two-up.

Have ridden the Rockies. Rode in more than a month of 100+ temperatures. Only time I wish trike had more power was out West with the 80 MPH speed limits.

Trike can do 80 MPH, but it is pretty much flat out and gas mileage suffers. Chose to back off and save fuel.

You'll have a hard time breaking the century mark any more, I can barely hit 90...

No problems 2 up towing a trailer and doing 70 - 80 but MPG sucks!

I got a hunch that the torque that the new Venture produces would make it an EXCELLENT Trike Bike! Probably fairly easy to build too being belt drive. :beer:

I got to help build a Sporty Trike for a neighbor lady a few years ago using a fairly inexpensive aftermarket rear axle assembly and was amazed at how well it rode,, had a BLAST on it = reminded me of CTFW in the woods on my Honda 250r and 350X so much that I just HAD to spin up some donuts with it,, could even get it up on two wheels:guitarist 2:.. The only thing is/was, it ended up having the on road Straight Axle charactoristics (like a TriGlide or a FreeWheeler) because of it being exactly that. Not quite as user friendly as an Independent system but still wayyyy fun!!