IGNORED

No more Quicksilver Oil at my local Walmart

Du-Rron

Well... time for another oil change, go to Walmart, and no more Quicksilver oil on the shelves. Dang, I only got to try that stuff once. Yeah, I know, online I could get every oil on the planet delivered to my door. But, I was out buying my caviar at walmart and decided to get some oil ya know.

Anyways, as of 2-22-2019 when I suppose they ditched the Quicksilver, according to the pricing label they now have Supertech oil.

20190228_135611.jpg

20190228_135337.jpg

SO... I bought 4 quarts. Will let yall know how it turns out.

At 8.50 a quart, you should look into rotela t6. Usually runs 21 bucks a gallon. I can find Mobil one for almost the $8.50 price on sale sometimes.

Ya know... I used to use T6, but went looking for alternatives. I liked the Quicksilver because it also appeared in print on the JASO list

QuickSilver.jpg

was made by Mercury Marine, and also sold by my powersports dealer in both motorcycle and boat flavors. Might just mail order this stuff in the future. The Mobil1 that was right below the SuperTech was $10.23 /qt (not on any sale) so I bought the Supertech.

20190228_135536.jpg

Well that is really interesting Duey.. I used Walmart's SuperTech (my 1st Gens LOVED the stuff) for many many years - did all my on road oil swaps in a Walmart parking lots using their wayy cheap, 1.50 a quart 20/50 SuperTech dino and they always loaned me an oil pan and a place to dump my used = the PERFECT plan! A number of years ago Walmart stopped selling the SuperTech and went to the higher dollar alternatives and, of course,, I went elsewhere looking for another consistent supplier of my 1st Gens love for cheap 20/50 (on tour oil changes can get pricey when riding cross country) and found "Dollar General" stores to fit the need perfectly. Most (not all,, some places are not biker friendly) Auto Parts stores will allow parking lot oil changes even with carry in oil, and invite waste oil so the lack of an auto lube attached to Dollar General problem was solved.. I have, almost exclusively used Dollar General 20/50 since then but did know that Walmart finally did return to SuperTech oils as you pointed out. No idea on the higher dollar Synthetics but I can vouch for SuperTech's consistency in their dino's.. Never a problem one running the product, even running extreme desert temps at high speeds, two up and full packin...

FYI

I was looking at Sam's Club oil for my truck recently because it is really inexpensive and posted a question on the F150online forum. A member Labnerd works in an oil co. lab and this was his response.

Sam"s Club "Certified" motor oil in 5w-30 is made by Reliance Technologies out of Niagara Falls. They blend for a lot of off brand motor oil sellers. It should say Dexos 1 compliant on the bottle and is a GF-5 SN oil. Two things about it, one good, one bad. The bad.....the ASTM D5800 testing for high heat is a dismal 14.9%. The absolute max for any API oil is 15%. So it's not going to do well in a worn engine or in a high heat environment. The good....it has roughly 217 ppms boron in the formulation. Boron is an expensive additive that helps carry the load when things get hot. If you change at 3000 miles by habit, this is just an okay oil to use. I wouldn't suggest running it farther or expect sludge and varnish inside the engine. The detergent package is reasonable but weak hence the cheap price.

Any Pennzoil motor oil will be better than the Sams Club. The synthetic is the best synthetic out there as of now. But frankly, why spend the bucks when the yellow bottle blend is so good. The 10w-30 is still good at temps down to -25C for cold start up. The ASTM D5800 testing yields an astounding 4.6% and that my friend beats any synthetic available at any price. I'm running it in my 3.7 F150. No drop in gas mileage and no issues with cold start ups. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best motor oil you can put in any street engine.

In regards to using a synthetic or a blend. Back in the 70's and 80's when synthetics were becoming popular, the formulators did not include anything for the seals. Dino oils have natural occurring saturated fats that keep the seals supple. The synthetic base oils of the day had a great amount of solvency and therefore would clean any crud around the seals. But because the synthetic oil did nothing for the seals, leaks happened. Since then the formulators include a seal swelling agent to take care of the issue. You can literally swap back and forth all you want. FWIW, Mobil and Castrol had an issue with Castrol claiming the Gp III base oils were a synthetic. The Advertising Council found that because it does not appear in nature, that it is a synthetic base oil. Mobil has since dropped the GP IV base oils and their synthetics are now Gp III. BUT, since oil prices have gone up, there are motor oil makers out there that have stretched the definition to include everything as a synthetic base except for the solvent refined GpI base oil. Buying and paying extra for yesterdays dinos as synthetics is unfortunately more common than you want to know. Buy a name brand oil, don't pay a lot for it, and change according to the auto makers extreme service guide and you can't go wrong.

ASTM D5800 testing is a test where the oil is exposed to 302F temps for one hour. The oil is weighed before and after the test. The difference or numbers you see is how much, expressed in percentages, that the oil lost due to the oil cooking off. ILSAC says 15% is max. Most synthetic oils will be around 10%. The yellow bottle 10w-30 at 4.6 is a reflection of the quality of the base oil used to make it.

Just got through changing the oil. This is supposed to be the last good day of weather we will have for about a week so I rode it around for about 20 miles. The self-destruct sequence on the bike was not activated by the Supertech oil. The bike still shifts well. Still sounds the same. All is good.

Just got through changing the oil. This is supposed to be the last good day of weather we will have for about a week so I rode it around for about 20 miles. The self-destruct sequence on the bike was not activated by the Supertech oil. The bike still shifts well. Still sounds the same. All is good.

I love the "shifts well" comment Duey. My V-4's always use sticky, notchy shiften to let me know they are ready for an oil change if I get so takin in by the beauty of the miles that I over run the last change. I think if I were switching over to Synthetic I would pay xtra special attention to clutch hook up when she comes up on the pipe in higher gears while 2 up and loaded just to make sure my clutch plates liked the stuff.. Besides,,, an occasional romp in that exciting V-Twin slaying go fast land can be good for the bonding between the machine and the 2 riders along for the ride:big-grin-emoticon:.

:sign green with env on the ride brother!! Still wayyyyy :cold::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: here for that routine.. Dad gum Fool,,, its White Washing AGAIN as I type!!!! :buttkick:

I love the "shifts well" comment Duey. My V-4's always use sticky, notchy shiften to let me know they are ready for an oil change if I get so takin in by the beauty of the miles that I over run the last change. I think if I were switching over to Synthetic I would pay xtra special attention to clutch hook up when she comes up on the pipe in higher gears while 2 up and loaded just to make sure my clutch plates liked the stuff..

My best shifting comes after an oil change and right after a clutch fluid change. Ya know I change the clutch fluid out like twice a year. I have run synthetic oil in the bike since its' 1st oil change and I have installed the @skydoc_17 clutch kit diaphram spring, but went back to the 1/2 friction stock disk, so no clutch slipping.

Besides,,, an occasional romp in that exciting V-Twin slaying go fast land can be good for the bonding between the machine and the 2 riders along for the ride:big-grin-emoticon:.

Huh... what... dunno whatchu talking about... (remember that penalty box now) :Avatars_Gee_George:

green with env on the ride brother!! Still wayyyyy :cold::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: here for that routine.. Dad gum Fool,,, its White Washing AGAIN as I type!!!! :buttkick:

80 degrees here today 55 and raining tomorrow with a low sunday night of 20 and a possibility of... snow... what the hell is snow?!?!?

• 1 month later...