IGNORED

Clutch and front brake lever wiring

Hello, I bought some new levers a while back and went to put them on this past weekend to find out that the plug wires won’t fit the switches on the new levers. The stock ones have a four prong plug, while the new ones only have a 2 wire connection.

Does anyone know what these wires run to, why there’s 4 of them for a switch? Anyway I can just use two wires for the job instead?

Thanks!

Hello, I bought some new levers a while back and went to put them on this past weekend to find out that the plug wires won’t fit the switches on the new levers. The stock ones have a four prong plug, while the new ones only have a 2 wire connection.

Does anyone know what these wires run to, why there’s 4 of them for a switch? Anyway I can just use two wires for the job instead?

Thanks!

Clutch side operates safety switch to start in gear and kills cruise.

Brake side is brake lights and cruise.

Sounds like new levers are for a bike without cruise to me.

Clutch side operates safety switch to start in gear and kills cruise.

Brake side is brake lights and cruise.

Sounds like new levers are for a bike without cruise to me.

Thanks for the answer. I’m wondering if I can wire the 3 wires together and have one going to the ground terminal? Seeing as it’s all getting sent the same way by one pressure switch.

I wouldn't advise bypassing the switches, you end up with a bike that will start in gear without the clutch pulled and front brakes not killing the cruise. I hate to admit it but I have an 86 with the clutch side bypassed, have to watch starting it. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's a multi contact switch and mixing those circuits may do bad things.

Both the clutch switch and the brake switch are DPST switches. This means that there are 2 completely separate switches in each.

You can use the 2 wire switch on the brake side by adding a relay to kill the cruise. The coil of the relay is connected to the brake light wire and ground, the 2 cruise wires go to the relay contacts.

You should be able to do something similar to the clutch side but I do not know the connections off the top of my head.

But this will allow you to use the 2 wire switches and still have everything on the bike working correctly.