IGNORED

Attempt #2 at posting this: Question about online gun purchases and transfers..

cowpuc

Those 2nd Gen riders over in the RSV tech section are going to think I am loony cause I accident posted this over in their section on the first try :Bunny:

I have purchased numerous guns online, had them shipped to my local FFL dealership and all went well. My most recent purchase is an AR-10 (my 556 AR15 was already getting homesick for his big brother 7.62 NATO :beer:) out of Louisiana. The seller in this case has requested that I send copies of front and back of my Drivers License to him, the seller. Normally, the FFL dealership I have the guns shipped to here locally takes a copy of my DL for his files but this is a first for a request for me to send it to the seller.

Anyone experience this before?

Is it possible the seller is an FFL and he's just crossing his I's and dotting his T's?

THAT was exactly my first thought. Although he (my FFL) has never required it before, it is entirely possible that this is the case and I have a question asking that (almost verbatim) out to him right now (his shop dont open for another hour so it will be at least that long before I hear back). I just did not want to send "front and back" photos of my DL out into cyber world late last night without knowing my butt was covered too..

You are more likely than not SPOT ON 40!:thumbsup:

I am sure that if they sell online they need ffl. But you transfer weapons between ffl dealers. Why would the selling dealer need information? He is not selling the weapon directly to puc, but transfering the weapon to the end dealer even though Scott pays for it. Sounds hokey to me.:puzzled:

:farmer:

The seller can be either a private party or an FFL, it doesn't make any difference. The gun must be shipped to an FFL-1 or 7 or ?. That's dealer, repair, manufacture. All your FFL needs to do is supply the seller with their FFL number and they can check it here... https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/ The info will include the shipping address etc. The decision as to whether you can legally purchase the gun is up to your FFL, not the sellers... You're not required to send them a thing. 'Cept Money.... :-)

Here in California we have what is known as a CFLC (California Firearms License Check) where the shipper needs to register with CA and then apply for a shipping number via a phone call, plus include a copy of their FFL. The receiving FFL needs to fax or email the shipper a copy of their FFL. A lot of folks biatch about the system, but I like it. Takes all of the scam possibilities down to a bare minimum... A lot of dealers with their nose in the air refuse to go along with the program. I look at them as being a little seedy to begin with...

I am sure that if they sell online they need ffl. But you transfer weapons between ffl dealers. Why would the selling dealer need information? He is not selling the weapon directly to puc, but transfering the weapon to the end dealer even though Scott pays for it. Sounds hokey to me.:puzzled:

:farmer:

The seller can be either a private party or an FFL, it doesn't make any difference. The gun must be shipped to an FFL-1 or 7 or ?. That's dealer, repair, manufacture. All your FFL needs to do is supply the seller with their FFL number and they can check it here... https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/ The info will include the shipping address etc. The decision as to whether you can legally purchase the gun is up to your FFL, not the sellers... You're not required to send them a thing. 'Cept Money.... :-)

Here in California we have what is known as a CFLC (California Firearms License Check) where the shipper needs to register with CA and then apply for a shipping number via a phone call, plus include a copy of their FFL. The receiving FFL needs to fax or email the shipper a copy of their FFL. A lot of folks biatch about the system, but I like it. Takes all of the scam possibilities down to a bare minimum... A lot of dealers with their nose in the air refuse to go along with the program. I look at them as being a little seedy to begin with...

That is exactly the reason why I did not just send the Pic's of my DL to the seller late last night. I am REALLY excited about getting the new shooter but not excited enough to send that kind of info out over the internet. With all the scamming and other issues I have seen and experienced by having even a little of my personal info out there,,, I am more than a little skidderish about doing so... Can't be to careful these days it seems,, IMHO of course..

I'm of the opinion that if the shipping FFL has a ligitamate reason for needing your I'd he could request it from your FFL. Sending your info to Joe Schmoe doesn't sound like a good idea.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rock solid Raggy,, 100% rock solid.

Been out running around and putting some fixing on the whole mess. Sent the email over to my FFL late last night, waited to hear back from about why they would tell the seller (who is also an FFL) he needed to obtain my personal info. Heard nothing by 10am so I made a quick journey over to the shop (about 6 miles away,, GREAT folks too,, 20 bucks to do the background = hand guns included). Walked in the door, asked for Jim (owner), got informed that Jim and fam were on vacation = TAHHHHH DAHHH.. Talked to one of the employees (who admitted to nothing when asked if he was the one who started the "you have to send a copy of your DL to the seller routine) about what was going on,, his response was that maybe in Louisianna they have that requirement. I gently corrected him and reminded him that the seller said they (my local ship to FFL) had requested it of him, not the other way around. Under my asking to correct the whole issue (did not want to have to wait till next week for the owner to get in), I asked if he would call the selling FFL and straighten it out, reminding him a couple of times that the flow of transfer goes like this: The gun is transfered FFL to FFL, the receiving FFL is the one respondsible for what happens to the gun once it gets in his hands (this would be my local FFL in this case). Then, after receiving the gun, the receiving FFL does the background check (which Jim, the owner has done in my case several times) and, if it clears, the gun is transfered into the buyers name (me).. Once he got that clear, he made the call,, no answer,, left a message.. When I got home there was a message in email from the seller saying we were all set and he would be shipping my 7.62 NATO AR out tomorrow. :thumbsup:

The seller sounds like an AWESOME guy, here is link to his Face Book page,, WAYYYYY COOL STUFF HE HAS GOING ON AND OL PUCSTER TOLD HIM SO!!

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=KA%20Tactical&epa=SEARCH_BOX