United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I jumped off the deep end.

That's good news... Cause with a normal tire, the rear end jumps out quickly.... Only quick reactions kept me from high siding at 75mph. Scary.
    USAF
    AFRTS Turkey
    1970-1973
    Patriot Guard
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." - Well worn saying
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tire to you have out front? Otherwise stock suspension?

I really want to go back and try with the slightly shorter BFG Radial T/A and hoping my ill high speed handling was from modifying the rake/trail to much with a tall tire and all my other suspension upgrades. I still have that spare wheel in the shed with an old Shinko 777 on it that could get a quick and easy swap.
    1999 Royal Star Venture
    2007 Ural Tourist
    1984 Suzuki QuadRunner 125 rescued from the scrap pile
    Honda Trail CT70

United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running the 777 on the front. I did the swing arm bearings the same time I did the CT. I did get some crazy stuff coming back from NY but tracked it to the steering head bearings. I had gottem them too tight and it would pick up an aero wobble. Keep in mind all these things have to work together and it doesn't take much for it to be off enough to wobble. I've read of some hating the CT but later figuring out it was the swingarm bearings loose. I recommend checking it all when installing a CT.
    Faded Blue is the fastest.

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Nexan on my 06 RSV and loved every minute on it. It was great in the torrential rains we get, yes I got surprised on the way home on more than one occasion. I had ~20K on the tire when the fuel pump went out on a long trip. the only shop in the area refused to work on the bike because it has a CT on it. I had to buy an MC for it too. It rode smooth and I had it at 36lbs. I got up to 100 MPH several times with no issues. It just ate up the Highways at 70 - 80 MPH. I now have the SVTC with ~11,000 on it. I will put one more MC tire on it more for warranty concerns but then I will go dark again.
    Hidden Content

Don't end up in pieces. Riding should be your Peace.

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RDawson View Post
    I'm running the 777 on the front. I did the swing arm bearings the same time I did the CT. I did get some crazy stuff coming back from NY but tracked it to the steering head bearings. I had gottem them too tight and it would pick up an aero wobble. Keep in mind all these things have to work together and it doesn't take much for it to be off enough to wobble. I've read of some hating the CT but later figuring out it was the swingarm bearings loose. I recommend checking it all when installing a CT.
    The stock 150 size front? I went to the 18" stratoliner wheel with a 130, so again not stock.

I bought the bike with a few issues and when I changed out the rear shock I took the whole rear end apart and repacked and torqued the swing arm bearings. I loved the traction I had with the tire and want to go back, just still trying to find my issue and bantering with people who have the same setup helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bpate4home View Post
    I had a Nexan on my 06 RSV and loved every minute on it. It was great in the torrential rains we get, yes I got surprised on the way home on more than one occasion. I had ~20K on the tire when the fuel pump went out on a long trip. the only shop in the area refused to work on the bike because it has a CT on it. I had to buy an MC for it too.
    Most shops around Chicago are like that as well. I have a rear tire mounted on the front of my bike and it took 20 min of explaining to to the independent shop how forces work for accel/decel, tread design, and why to mount it backwards, then was told to leave. Thankfully I found a good independent who will do this stuff for me so long as I pay cash, he's come to realized these are MY decisions and I'm not going to come after him.
    1999 Royal Star Venture
    2007 Ural Tourist
    1984 Suzuki QuadRunner 125 rescued from the scrap pile
    Honda Trail CT70

United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BratmanXj View Post
    The stock 150 size front? I went to the 18" stratoliner wheel with a 130, so again not stock.

I bought the bike with a few issues and when I changed out the rear shock I took the whole rear end apart and repacked and torqued the swing arm bearings. I loved the traction I had with the tire and want to go back, just still trying to find my issue and bantering with people who have the same setup helps.

Most shops around Chicago are like that as well. I have a rear tire mounted on the front of my bike and it took 20 min of explaining to to the independent shop how forces work for accel/decel, tread design, and why to mount it backwards, then was told to leave. Thankfully I found a good independent who will do this stuff for me so long as I pay cash, he's come to realized these are MY decisions and I'm not going to come after him.
    I use a local tire shop for all my cages that doesn't sell MC tires but will mount anything I ask him to. I bought the Nexen from him mounted and out the door for $60 if I remember correctly.
    Faded Blue is the fastest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12