IGNORED

I jumped off the deep end.

RDawson

I got the Nexen tire mounted and installed today, up around 100 psi to pop it on. Set the pressure at 40 and went for a short run, winds are gusting pretty bad so I didn't go far. The quick impression I got was WOW. It does feel a little different swapping sides in some short twisties, not bad just different that I'm sure I'll get used to. The ride is very smooth and the emergency stop I tried sold me. It has never stopped that short and didn't lock up even when I tried. I found a stretch with thick woods on both sides to block the wind and let go of the bars, straight as an arrow.

I hope to get enough decent weather to break it in good soon and play with pressures to find what I like.

I ran a 165/80-16 CT for a few months. I put the tire on in the fall and had a few miles of local roads before a very snowy Toys For Tots motorcycle parade in Chicago. In snow I had more traction that most MC tires do in the dry, it was crazy how stable that tire was. You had to "hold" the bike in a turn or else it would try to straighten up but that was really the only downfall.... until I tried to commute on the interstate. The bike would get a high speed oscillation at anything above 75mph, almost feeling like it was going into a tank-slapper but never did. I have a Hagon HD rear shock and Sonic front springs so I believe it was something specific to my bike's setup.

I was able to pick up a 2nd rear rim and I may try the 155/80-16 BFG Radial TA in the near future. With a slightly lower profile and different tread pattern I'm hopeful it may smooth out the wonky high speed handling.

I ran a 165/80-16 CT for a few months. I put the tire on in the fall and had a few miles of local roads before a very snowy Toys For Tots motorcycle parade in Chicago. In snow I had more traction that most MC tires do in the dry, it was crazy how stable that tire was. You had to "hold" the bike in a turn or else it would try to straighten up but that was really the only downfall.... until I tried to commute on the interstate. The bike would get a high speed oscillation at anything above 75mph, almost feeling like it was going into a tank-slapper but never did. I have a Hagon HD rear shock and Sonic front springs so I believe it was something specific to my bike's setup.

I was able to pick up a 2nd rear rim and I may try the 155/80-16 BFG Radial TA in the near future. With a slightly lower profile and different tread pattern I'm hopeful it may smooth out the wonky high speed handling.

It doesn't look like I'll get to check it on the interstate for a while. Weather man says it's gonna be cool and wet for the next couple of weeks. I recently repacked swingarm bearings and while I didn't get to the steering head bearings they feel ok for now. I'm running OEM sized front Shinko and have leveling links installed. I did get up to 70-75 for a very short distance, not long enough to really get a feel for it. I have a shoulder surgery coming up soon so it may not get back out of the shop for a while. I'm hoping to stay with the 165/80/15 so not to lose height with the 155.

It doesn't look like I'll get to check it on the interstate for a while. Weather man says it's gonna be cool and wet for the next couple of weeks. I recently repacked swingarm bearings and while I didn't get to the steering head bearings they feel ok for now. I'm running OEM sized front Shinko and have leveling links installed. I did get up to 70-75 for a very short distance, not long enough to really get a feel for it. I have a shoulder surgery coming up soon so it may not get back out of the shop for a while. I'm hoping to stay with the 165/80/15 so not to lose height with the 155.

With the CT 2-up the bike was fine, when solo is when I would get the wobble. The Hagon H.D. rear shock raised the back end around 1/2" when I'm solo, so I'm not against loosing the height with a different tire. I also have a Stratoliner 18" front wheel with a 130 tire. I ran a 777 Shinko on the rear both before and after the CT with no ill handling and recently put the new Dunlop E4 out there but have NO miles on it since.

I'm not against running the CT, and like oil threads there are so many options and opinions out there. I have every intention of trying it again with a different tire. I believe someone else on here went to a CT and had a high-speed incident. I wanted to put the information out there so you wouldn't be caught off guard when you do get out on the interstate.

I appreciate seeing others experience, that's the real reason I put it out there. This is my first try with a CT, coming off of a Shinko 777 and then a Michelin. I got 14k out of those two rears added together and while longer mileage would be great I've read a lot about stability and braking with a CT. I like to learn from other's experience before I learn from my mistakes. I'll be interested to hear about your 155 ride thoughts.

The sun is out today, almost forgot what it looked like. I couldn't stand it any longer so I bundled up and at a brisk 39 degrees tried the tire out. I got up to 80 for a few minutes until I started losing feeling in my fingers and it was as smooth as I could ask for. I won't try two up until I get some more time on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on the Nexen. I've put around 600 miles on it solo and the wife got on today for the first time with the ct. The only time I notice the difference is shifting in a slow speed turn. Leaving a stop and turning it tries to stand up if I shift mid turn, if I hold off the shift until after the turn it feels fine. I've run twisties, wet roads, interstates up to around 90 mph without issue. Wet road traction has been great. After the first 20 miles the wife commented that it's a much smoother ride now. I got in 175 miles with 50 of that 2 up at 39.4 mpg today. The only issues were shortage of daylight and the sunburned arms I got before I picked her up. If the storms hold off tomorrow I may take the trailer on it's maiden voyage. :900[1]::7_2_104[1]:

• 8 months later...

Well since this thread showed back up I'll update. After the shoulder surgery I figured out all I could do was to ride while healing up. Everything else hurt me, so ride I did. I did an 1100 mile saddlesore ride, 2200 mile trip to Niagara Canada and Don's MD two up with the trailer, 1700 miles to the WNY rally and back, and lots of local miles. I've put over 10,000 on the tire and still looks good, no I haven't measured tread depth. I couldn't be happier with the tire and will put another on when this one is done.

OK Thanks!

I was hoping you wouldn't be able to lock up the rear end with a CT installed. I've locked up once and scared the pudding out of me...and no...I wasn't wearing brown at the time....although afterwards...but that's a different story!

I've locked it a few times now. With the wide contact patch it doesn't feel as squirrelly and while I don't like it I don't feel out of control. Once at 80 on the slab trying not to get run over I could see the smoke in the mirror but it straightened up as soon as I got off the pedal.

What tire to you have out front? Otherwise stock suspension?

I really want to go back and try with the slightly shorter BFG Radial T/A and hoping my ill high speed handling was from modifying the rake/trail to much with a tall tire and all my other suspension upgrades. I still have that spare wheel in the shed with an old Shinko 777 on it that could get a quick and easy swap.

I'm running the 777 on the front. I did the swing arm bearings the same time I did the CT. I did get some crazy stuff coming back from NY but tracked it to the steering head bearings. I had gottem them too tight and it would pick up an aero wobble. Keep in mind all these things have to work together and it doesn't take much for it to be off enough to wobble. I've read of some hating the CT but later figuring out it was the swingarm bearings loose. I recommend checking it all when installing a CT.

I had a Nexan on my 06 RSV and loved every minute on it. It was great in the torrential rains we get, yes I got surprised on the way home on more than one occasion. I had ~20K on the tire when the fuel pump went out on a long trip. the only shop in the area refused to work on the bike because it has a CT on it. I had to buy an MC for it too. It rode smooth and I had it at 36lbs. I got up to 100 MPH several times with no issues. It just ate up the Highways at 70 - 80 MPH. I now have the SVTC with ~11,000 on it. I will put one more MC tire on it more for warranty concerns but then I will go dark again.

I'm running the 777 on the front. I did the swing arm bearings the same time I did the CT. I did get some crazy stuff coming back from NY but tracked it to the steering head bearings. I had gottem them too tight and it would pick up an aero wobble. Keep in mind all these things have to work together and it doesn't take much for it to be off enough to wobble. I've read of some hating the CT but later figuring out it was the swingarm bearings loose. I recommend checking it all when installing a CT.

The stock 150 size front? I went to the 18" stratoliner wheel with a 130, so again not stock.

I bought the bike with a few issues and when I changed out the rear shock I took the whole rear end apart and repacked and torqued the swing arm bearings. I loved the traction I had with the tire and want to go back, just still trying to find my issue and bantering with people who have the same setup helps.

I had a Nexan on my 06 RSV and loved every minute on it. It was great in the torrential rains we get, yes I got surprised on the way home on more than one occasion. I had ~20K on the tire when the fuel pump went out on a long trip. the only shop in the area refused to work on the bike because it has a CT on it. I had to buy an MC for it too.

Most shops around Chicago are like that as well. I have a rear tire mounted on the front of my bike and it took 20 min of explaining to to the independent shop how forces work for accel/decel, tread design, and why to mount it backwards, then was told to leave. Thankfully I found a good independent who will do this stuff for me so long as I pay cash, he's come to realized these are MY decisions and I'm not going to come after him.

The stock 150 size front? I went to the 18" stratoliner wheel with a 130, so again not stock.

I bought the bike with a few issues and when I changed out the rear shock I took the whole rear end apart and repacked and torqued the swing arm bearings. I loved the traction I had with the tire and want to go back, just still trying to find my issue and bantering with people who have the same setup helps.

Most shops around Chicago are like that as well. I have a rear tire mounted on the front of my bike and it took 20 min of explaining to to the independent shop how forces work for accel/decel, tread design, and why to mount it backwards, then was told to leave. Thankfully I found a good independent who will do this stuff for me so long as I pay cash, he's come to realized these are MY decisions and I'm not going to come after him.

I use a local tire shop for all my cages that doesn't sell MC tires but will mount anything I ask him to. I bought the Nexen from him mounted and out the door for $60 if I remember correctly.