IGNORED

Lower fork bolts needed

It looks like someone who rebuilt the forks before me used a empact gun to put the bower bolts in. As a result they need replaced but I can't find them anywhere. I need 16 and 19 from the diagram. If anybody has a set let me knowb86bf944fd58e9e26bd06e0912ad8c15.gif

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Go to your local bolt and nut supply and get a match.

If my guess is right the head is probably stripped out, right? That would most likely happen by somebody using an imperfect allan wrench or using a hand tool. An impact is the way to go on those, at least I think so, and have even removed questionable bolts that way.

If I am reading this correctly what you are looking for may be the bolt that screws into the bottom of the fork and can only be removed after you pull the axle? If it's what I am thinking of and it serves the same function as my older MX bikes forks (pre inverted forks), that bolt screws into the internal tube that houses the forks dampening valving/shims where the fork fluid passes to create the damping. As the hydraulic fluid (fork oil) is doing its thing and moving around the internals of the fork tube/fork lower it will pick up metals given off by wear. It is possible that those magnets are to collect those metal particals to help keep the fluid clean,,, possibly,,, maybe..

If what I am thinking holds any merit (again, take this with a grain of salt considering the source), then it is also possible that someone had to use a high speed air gun with an allen bit in it to get the screw to spin out/spin in as, in my experience, there is nothing internally that keeps that tube where the valve stack is from spinning once the screw is loosened. Using a high speed air gun to spin screws out can be hard on screws, especially the heads and threads.

It might not be a bad idea to look closely at what you have removed and see if the washer (number 16) is a copper one? If so, it also might not be a bad idea to replace this with another copper crush washer and make sure that what ever bolt you use has a good clean cut shoulder on it where the washer sets as that area may be serving like an oil pan plug on a car. Also make sure the shoulder where the washer contacts the lower leg above the axle is good and clean when you put it all together so your finished job does not leak fork oil...

Puc

Indeed, Parts Nation shows the "washer" as a "gasket" and that is still available (pricey,, almost 8 bucks) but the bolt they show as not available. I did a quick cross check to see if the V-Max parts were they same (they made them well into the 2000's, a huge PLUS if looking for parts) and everything but the 3 digit Suffix matches,, I would say it is possible they would interchange. Might be worth checking with a Yamaha dealership and see if you could find one in stock to compare to if someone around here don't have one they could send you off a parts bike and/or you want to go OEM..

Here is where I got my info.. https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/yam/50043596f8700209bc78be67/front-fork

I tried ace (only place open today) they didn't have any so I ordered one on ebay. I also have a new a seal comeing (nicked one putting it on) oe fork had a crush gasket and the other didn't have a washer at all. Will a normal crush washer used for oil dean plugs be what I am looking for? Am I going to need to grind down the head of the bolt to clear the axle?

Go to your local bolt and nut supply and get a match.

If my guess is right the head is probably stripped out, right? That would most likely happen by somebody using an imperfect allan wrench or using a hand tool. An impact is the way to go on those, at least I think so, and have even removed questionable bolts that way.

I tried the impact and ended up using about 6 foot of breaker bar (luckily it's a sidecar) the bolts are done for.

I tried ace (only place open today) they didn't have any so I ordered one on ebay. I also have a new a seal comeing (nicked one putting it on) oe fork had a crush gasket and the other didn't have a washer at all. Will a normal crush washer used for oil dean plugs be what I am looking for? Am I going to need to grind down the head of the bolt to clear the axle?

The seal is a copper crush washer. The same thing used on oil drains and brake banjo bolts.

You should be using a socket head cap screw and you won't have to grind anything. BTW, earlier you said 12mm which I don't believe is correct. I think they're 8mm.

The seal is a copper crush washer. The same thing used on oil drains and brake banjo bolts.

You should be using a socket head cap screw and you won't have to grind anything. BTW, earlier you said 12mm which I don't believe is correct. I think they're 8mm.

There must have been a change over because these are definitely 12-1.25 bolts (used the bolt identifier at the store) I wish they were 8mm or even 10 because they had them in Stock.

• 1 month later...
I have at least 1 of everything from '83 to '86 Ventures, give me a few days and I'll let you know. The Fundi.
I ended up ordering a couple of stainless steel bolts off the internet, i already have them installed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk