IGNORED

Headlight light bar out

Hi, I'm new to this forum stuff. I've been a lurker here for years. In October I was hit by someone running a red light. My 2007 RSTD was totalled. Fortunately I was not. Been riding for 45 years. Never been in a wreck. After ankle surgery recovery I bought a 2005 RSTD. Runs beautiful. I'm experiencing a problem with the headlight and the spotlights. I have continuity between the headlight plug and the dimmer switch. When I turn the ignition on, no voltage whatsoever. I have blinkers and taillights. All fuses are good. My spotlights are running off the highbeam with no relay. The lights ran for one day and then quit. I've checked plugs for snugness and cleanliness. I'm wondering if it could be in the ignition. What do you guys think? Thanks.

It may be in the ignition switch. One of the weak points of the Venture/RSTD. You should put the light bar lights through a relay.

Do a search on here for ignition switch repair/replacement. Kind of a PITA on the Venture. Assume it would be the same on a RSTD.

RR

In addition to adding the relay to the passing lamp circuit you can remove even more load from the problematic ignition switch. We have a member who produces and sells a relay set up to further take load off the switch. Very simple to install

I do the relay kit. Plug and play. You may also want to look into the "switch repair" before going full tilt on a new switch ($300 usd) Also another thing to look at on those pesky driving lights issues. The wires run up under the fairing on the RSV and I have to imagine about the same place on the TD. The wires like to find their way in between the steering stops and get pinched. Then short out or completely loose connection.

Under left side cover is the main fuse, next to it is the solenoid. Jumper it with a screw driver and see if it runs. The TD were not known for having a lot of switch issues like the RSV. Because most didnt run heated gear and a lot of extras like on the RSV's. But it could be the switch none the less.

• 4 weeks later...