IGNORED

The whine is getting annoying

Here is a short helmet cam clip of the whine on my RSV. My external mic connection was not great but you can definitely hear the whine

Neither of my RSVs whine that loud, especially in 4th. It can be heard, especially in the lower gears, but not that pronounced in the higher gears.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to wrap up this thread I took a chance on a replacement "G" basket from Mike E the diamond cut guy. We spoke on the phone for near an hour about tips and tricks for the RSV and lots of other stuff. He warned me that it was a gamble weather it would decrease the whine or not but he thought it could be improved upon.

Finally got all the parts in the mail and installed them today. I'm happy to report that it worked and the harmonic whine I was getting at certain RPMs is gone. There is still a whine but it's less noticeable and seems to remain constant throughout the RPM range. I might also mention that Mike recommended Castrol 20w50 and that could also be part of the improvement. Also upgraded to the Barnett clutch springs and pressure plate while I had it apart.

Thanks to all for your help, I am happy with the results. The noise made me feel like the Martians in the movie Mars Attacks when their heads explode from that music

tenor.gif?itemid=10144313

glad to hear you have had a harmonious conclusion to you george jetsons spaceship noise. and you might even enjoy an even quieter experience as things get seated and you put some hot highway miles on it.

Ride safe.. ride often.. Mike

• 1 year later...

Noob here. Just picked up my 1999 yesterday and had it out on a 200 mile initial shakedown ride. Was wondering if the whine was part of "the charm" of the Venture of this year. Happy to read it is common. As long as it does not hurt the machine then I certainly live with it. Pipes will be added which should reduce some of the wine. I am an Amsoil rep and will try synthetic to see if it makes it better or worse then I may just try the Yamalube dyno oil to see if there is a big difference.

I'm pretty sure that thicker oil will reduce the whine because my RSV doesn't whine as much at first when the oil is cold and thicker. It then gets louder as it heats up. I don't know if the thicker oil is better or worse for the engine? I think the only sure way to get rid of the whine is to trade it for a Goldwing! :stickpoke::stirthepot: And I'm too cheap for that!:banana: