IGNORED

The whine is getting annoying

Took the bike out for a ride today to try out my new windshield and check MPG. Happy to report I'm getting over 41mpg now and the bike is running great. However....I am not in love with the whine I get right between 55 and 65 where I normally like to cruise on the back roads. I found some info on the I basket and even the part number but not sure where this part can be ordered from?

Depending on your finances I would contact skydoc I think it is. He has some kind of connection for a dependable clutch kit. Maybe he can hook you up with the basket too. If I was tearing in to clutch basket, I would think it would be worth while to go ahead and replace the clutch bits.

I am on my 4th RSV. 1 2002, 1 2006, 2 2008's. Don't ask. Anyway, it seems that the earlier models seem to have more whine the the later models. My 2002 whined terribly while the 2006 although very noticeable, not nearly as bad as the 2002. Both 2008's have had very little whine. Don't know what you are running for oil but it can make a difference. With my 2002 and 2006, I found the only oil that really quieted down the whine was straight 30wt non-synthetic oil. The whine was the worst with synthetics. Seems the thicker the oil, the less of the whine. I wound up getting an I basket from Partzilla for the 2006 and it was almost as quiet as my 2008's.

Don't remember the part number for the I basket, so if you have that number, Google is your friend in finding it.

Yeah I saw that one recently but I don't think I'm prepared to modify the clutch cover, seems like a great way to create a leak and concerned about robbing oil flow from other places...

Yep I saw those last night....so if I can't find one cheaper there is always that. Still a little unclear on where exactly the "I" is supposed to be. I read one post that said it was hand stamped or engraved? If I'm gonna shell out 300 bones for the letter I then I wanna see it on the part somewhere!!!

Yeah, we've had this discussion before on the forum. I think Freebird was the last person to say that he wouldn't shell out the bucks for the new basket not knowing for sure it was an "i" basket. Freebird solved his clutch whine problem by selling his RSV and buying the new 2018 Super Duper Venture.

I researched the forums about the clutch whine a while back and I found one thread where the RSV owner said he found out exactly how to get rid of the clutch basket whine.

1. Switch brands and viscosity of oil.

2. Purchase i basket and replace the original.

3. Trade the RSV on a Goldwing!!!!

I don't hear my whine, til I hear it, and then I can't unhear it, so I turn up the audio. Does that make sense? While it doesn't bother me a whole lot, I would like it a little quieter at times.

The whine is more noticeable on my 99 RSV vs the 09 RSV. I would love to hear others feedback on what brands/weights of oils used to quieten it down a little. I am (have have for several years) running Rotela T6 40w with the MotorKote additive every other oil change. On the 09, the guy I purchased it from was using Mobile 50w. I just feel that 50w oil is too thick and takes a little longer to get disbursed on those cold mornings.

So, if you have changed oils due to the whine, what did you end up with?

Does mileage change the 'whine'? I can't really notice anything on my 2006, with now 20k miles. {Although I do have V&H Ovals fitted} I can sometimes get a wee 'clutch chirp' and if what I hear sometimes after some 60-70mph cruising is the 'whine'? Then it is definitely quieter less noticeable than the old XJ series 'whistle'.

I had a talk with Mike Eykamp (Diamond Cut Guy) the other day about the baskets and the whine. He educated me on the I & G baskets.

Just ordering by part number will not necessarily get you a I or G basket, which seem to be less likely to whine at normal speeds.

The baskets came down different production lines, thus the alpha designations. The parts are etched with a few characters designating the line it was manufactured on.

The I or G baskets were not engineered different, just cut on different production line. Some smart cookie years ago determined some production batches whined less than others.

So, the I and the G baskets seemed quieter. If a request was specifically made by a dealer for an I basket, the warehouse would look at the etching on the baskets to find and ship the requested basket batch.

See attached picture of a G basket.

But I do remember years back when bikes were new and warranted, the dealers and Yamaha would say "no guarantee" that swapping a basket would remove the whine. But they would try.

My old RSTD had the whine and the basket was swapped and it went away. (I also got another RSTD with a bad whine, and swapped baskets between my two bikes, and the whine moved.)

So, to me, the basket swap worked. I will comment that the whine was more prevalent on bikes before 2009, less prevalent since then. (So, maybe a newer basket wont whine,,, just guessing.)

Mike E. sells a lot of parts, and is on this VR forum. As of the other day, he still had one or more used I or G baskets on his Facebook page for about half of new price. (They are not a wear part so used is good as new.)

I know he sold one last week. You might contact him. But, like Yamaha said, he will not guarantee the swap will remove the whine.

See attached...

Clutch basket.jpg

I had a talk with Mike Eykamp (Diamond Cut Guy) the other day about the baskets and the whine. He educated me on the I & G baskets.

Just ordering by part number will not necessarily get you a I or G basket, which seem to be less likely to whine at normal speeds.

The baskets came down different production lines, thus the alpha designations. The parts are etched with a few characters designating the line it was manufactured on.

The I or G baskets were not engineered different, just cut on different production line. Some smart cookie years ago determined some production batches whined less than others.

So, the I and the G baskets seemed quieter. If a request was specifically made by a dealer for an I basket, the warehouse would look at the etching on the baskets to find and ship the requested basket batch.

See attached picture of a G basket.

But I do remember years back when bikes were new and warranted, the dealers and Yamaha would say "no guarantee" that swapping a basket would remove the whine. But they would try.

My old RSTD had the whine and the basket was swapped and it went away. (I also got another RSTD with a bad whine, and swapped baskets between my two bikes, and the whine moved.)

So, to me, the basket swap worked. I will comment that the whine was more prevalent on bikes before 2009, less prevalent since then. (So, maybe a newer basket wont whine,,, just guessing.)

Mike E. sells a lot of parts, and is on this VR forum. As of the other day, he still had one or more used I or G baskets on his Facebook page for about half of new price. (They are not a wear part so used is good as new.)

I know he sold one last week. You might contact him. But, like Yamaha said, he will not guarantee the swap will remove the whine.

See attached...

That information is very interesting and I don't doubt it. But, currently you can order either of two clutch baskets. The "old" part number 26H-16150-10-00 $256.90 costs less than the "new" part number 4XY-16150-09-00 $308.09. If you look up the clutch basket on partzilla, you will find the 26H-16150-10-00 part listed for all years, 99 to 2013. I talked to someone at partzilla and I was told they could order either one and both had to come from Japan. He also said that the 4XY-16150-09-00 part number was not listed as a replacement part for the old part number. So far, I have not been able to find out why the new part number is available and what it if anything is supposed to do for you. One could assume that it was designed to eliminate the whine but nobody I've talked to can say that. I also called bike bandit and asked about the new part number. They told me that the new part was supposed to be a replacement part. Soooo ?????????????????

I have an 05 RSV. The quietest ride so far is with Yamalube 20-50 Dino. Synthetics and dino 10-40's are noisier. To be tested next is Quicksilver synthetic 20-50.

That would be great. The whine isn't as bad on the 09 as it is on the 99 RSV and I may try the Yamalube on next oil change. But, I would like to stay with the synthetics in the long haul.

I don't to ever really expect for it to go away, but it would be nice to make it less noticeable. Like I said, once I do notice it, then it takes a while to un-notice. My little 4" speakers will only get so loud.

the part numbers are for the same part, the number has been superseded and the price increase accordingly. there is no design change and as Mike G has stated they were cut on a different production lines.

Now that the rsv is no longer in production, we don't have the luxury of getting one pulled off the line to obtain the certain letter.

they produce them on an as needed back order basis now and the only way your going to locate a certain letter now, is to have a parts warehouse guy open each and every box and have a look at the backside of each gear ring or learn Japanese and find better contacts than i have .

or find a used one.

$.02 Mike

I'm throughly convinced the whine on these clutch baskets come from the final machining process during manufacturing of the basket. Stress is machined into the basket much like a tuning fork which in turn needs to be stress relieved. My 06 Venture had the whine--- Often thought about bead blasting the clutch basket to stress relieve it. I traded it but not because of clutch basket whine.:biker:

I was watching one the car rebuild shows over the weekend. They were rebuilding a 72 GS buick but the customer wanted a manual trans. The MFG of the replacement transmissions engineered the whine into their cases to mimic the "old school" sound from the 60 and 70's era! So i'm sure it can be machined out. However it has never bothered me enough on the 07 to worry about.

Now the chirp at low speed from my front brakes may cause me to sell the bike on the other coast...its driving me crazy i've had the calipers off and on 4 times rotated the brake pads and tightened the shield on the rotors but it is still there until i hit the brake. It goes away then comes back at low speed until i firmly apply the brake again, if i release the brake and keep rolling in traffic i can go about 500 feet before it comes back. I guess next is to trash the new pads and try a different brand.

I was watching one the car rebuild shows over the weekend. They were rebuilding a 72 GS buick but the customer wanted a manual trans. The MFG of the replacement transmissions engineered the whine into their cases to mimic the "old school" sound from the 60 and 70's era! So i'm sure it can be machined out. However it has never bothered me enough on the 07 to worry about.

Now the chirp at low speed from my front brakes may cause me to sell the bike on the other coast...its driving me crazy i've had the calipers off and on 4 times rotated the brake pads and tightened the shield on the rotors but it is still there until i hit the brake. It goes away then comes back at low speed until i firmly apply the brake again, if i release the brake and keep rolling in traffic i can go about 500 feet before it comes back. I guess next is to trash the new pads and try a different brand.

Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread, but have you tried using that red tacky spray on the back of the pads and the front anti vibration shims? That normally gets rid of most brake related noise, always worked for me on my 98 Royal Star and my 07 Venture.

To 'machine it out', it is typically done with helical cut gears vs the straight cuts. The straight cut noises will vary with different rpm, pressure, base diameters, tooth depth and width, clearances and pressure angles, and obviously lubricants will vary the amount of sound. Straight cuts will pretty much always make a noise, where helical cuts do not.

Straight cut gears in transmissions and drives will produce more output, and will not produce as much heat as helical cut.