IGNORED

My Fuel Pump Points

KeithR

I went for one major ride this summer and when I returned home my bike wouldn't start after I parked it. I suspected the fuel pump - had no click click. I replaced the fuel pump and all is well. This is a picture of the points in my old pump - I'm guessing they were flat at one time? I've noticed for a couple of summers the bike didn't seem to have the power it once had - I'm guessing this was the reason!

Roughly 61000KM's - 38,000 miles 2006 Midnight Venture

Keith

Points 3.jpg

Points 4.jpg

I have a new one in my saddlebag if and when I need it.

Mine were almost that bad at just 18,000 miles.

Thankfully the good people here told me to just change the points for $30.

Now 44,000 miles. I need to get off my lazy butt and check them.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine were almost that bad at just 18,000 miles.

Thankfully the good people here told me to just change the points for $30.

Now 44,000 miles. I need to get off my lazy butt and check them.

VentureFar...

My 03 has just under 100,000 miles and the only two things that I have changed is the R/R and the clutch lever other than tires, oil and brake shoes.

Gonna have to order myself a set of points, had some issues last year with the Venture and points seems to be the issue.

Find a nice LED headlight and that will give me a couple of things to do to the bike over the winter.

I ordered a set to rebuild my old pump from Fortnine.

https://fortnine.ca/en/k-l-universal-fuel-pump-point-switch-kit-18-4615

Keith

Gonna have to order myself a set of points, had some issues last year with the Venture and points seems to be the issue.

Find a nice LED headlight and that will give me a couple of things to do to the bike over the winter.

• 4 weeks later...
My 03 has just under 100,000 miles and the only two things that I have changed is the R/R and the clutch lever other than tires, oil and brake shoes.

Wow! So your battery is almost 100,000 miles old? You have to send me a link to that battery. :rotf:

Mark Shields has replaced points in several failed pumps.

I tried once, it failed. I don't know if I sprung the points spring (easy to do) or if another component in the pump was bad.

If I did it again, would take a pic of the old and new before swapping.

But it's worth a try to get yourself a good spare (not a China knockoff).

Here is same points part but from Amazon. A little cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Universal-Point-Switch-18-4615/dp/B0034ZMVKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547071182&sr=8-1&keywords=Point+Switch+Kit+-+18-4615

Mark Shields has replaced points in several failed pumps.

I tried once, it failed. I don't know if I sprung the points spring (easy to do) or if another component in the pump was bad.

If I did it again, would take a pic of the old and new before swapping.

But it's worth a try to get yourself a good spare (not a China knockoff).

Here is same points part but from Amazon. A little cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Universal-Point-Switch-18-4615/dp/B0034ZMVKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547071182&sr=8-1&keywords=Point+Switch+Kit+-+18-4615

That's the set I used. Good as new.

Danged if I can remember what we use to do for ignition points when they use to get that "saw tooth" burn pattern.

add a condensor to absorb the voltage so it doesn't jump the gap when the points are open (damaging the points) and replace worn rubbing block that was not opening points all the way.

Could add a condensor to the RSV, cant really adjust the gap because the pump stroke is the points gap. Yes... No... I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...

I have been wondering if when I had regulator/rectifier the summer before. I had a used one on there until I could get a OEM one that was putting out a tad too much voltage that would have caused that severe burning of the points ?

Keith

I have been wondering if when I had regulator/rectifier the summer before. I had a used one on there until I could get a OEM one that was putting out a tad too much voltage that would have caused that severe burning of the points ?

Keith

Not likely since the difference in available voltage would be negligible. I would be more inclined to think as the pump itself got older that it could possible draw more currant causing a bit of a lingering arc as the points opened. The idea of a condenser added to the system to break the arc does seem like a not bad idea in that case.

Only the other night when I got to reading this did I think about the condenser thing. It really get the old noggin thinking about that. Might take a little engineering, but probably wouldnt be to bad. When mine gave me a couple DOA going up the road and the final straw was dying at a stop light in a turn lane. Then went solid state.