IGNORED

Engine noise possibly timing chain slap?

Clutch and putting it in gear has no affect on the knock. However the speed of the knock does seem like it is proportional to engine rpm... I'll get a longer video and rev the engine a bit in the process.

I do have a mechanics stethoscope ($3.99 at Harbor Freight) but it just seems like the whole engine is tapping... I try to isolate it to the loudest area, but valve covers, clutch, water pump, cylinders... All seem to be the culprit!

Methinks I'll try removing covers on my next day off to see if something stands out as alarmingly wrong. Unless someone has a better course of action. I'll get the video first though.

Thank you all for the help to this point!!!

• 8 months later...

Well after reading about hydraulic starts, and talking to the previous owner (my dad) about him finding a nice size fuel spill after leaving it in the garage overnight.... and me not understanding why the starter wouldn't turn the bike over before the knocking sound started... I decided to buy a working motor so that I can still ride while I try to figure out the problem...

Anyone know of a thread for engine removal and replace on a 2nd gen? Removal was a PITA, and now putting the replacement seems to be even more of the pain.

Well after reading about hydraulic starts, and talking to the previous owner (my dad) about him finding a nice size fuel spill after leaving it in the garage overnight.... and me not understanding why the starter wouldn't turn the bike over before the knocking sound started... I decided to buy a working motor so that I can still ride while I try to figure out the problem...

Anyone know of a thread for engine removal and replace on a 2nd gen? Removal was a PITA, and now putting the replacement seems to be even more of the pain.

Can't say much for a 2nd gen, but my experience with 1st gens is that coming out is the easy part,,,, got to remember where you held your tongue to get it to go back in. In other words,,, if I'm allowed,,, it slid out but wrestled back in. Does that tell you something?

Can't say much for a 2nd gen, but my experience with 1st gens is that coming out is the easy part,,,, got to remember where you held your tongue to get it to go back in. In other words,,, if I'm allowed,,, it slid out but wrestled back in. Does that tell you something?

Thanks! I was thinking I was going to have a similar experience... but remarkably, going in went much smoother than coming out.... still a PITA, but not as bad as the removal.

20200113_115836_resized.jpg

Soooo, Did they change wire connectors on some of the RSV's? There's 4 wire bundles that come out near the drive shaft (pictured). The wires run under the engine somewhere but I haven't tracked where yet. Question is the wire connectors pictured, did they change for different years/models? I tried for about a 1/2 hour to connect these to the connections under the battery box before I figured out that 2 of connectors are not the same as what was on the original engine. Grrrrrrr!!!

As far as I know, they never changed.

I didn't think so either, Total of 4 clips, 2 connected without issue, but the other 2 were different. Supposedly both engines from 2005 RSVs.

Original Engine:20200114_152941_resized.jpg

Replacement engine: 20200114_152706_resized.jpg

I guess I either need to splice in the correct clips, or try to track them back under the engine. I'm really not sure where they go or what they're for.

What is the color on the wires?

Black... all black. Wait, that's just the dirty greasy grime.

Black clip has 1 black and 1 white wire

White clip has 2 that are different shades of green... maybe 1 mint and 1 kinda seafoam green?

I was hoping to just remove the clips and just swap them, but I think I'm gonna have to cut and splice. Good thing is that both engines have the same color wires coming off, only the clips are different

Edited by Phrog

By my chart for 99-09 Venture.

The white serves, Speed sensor, Cruise, Master Control, Flasher relay.

Now for the other wire,, the greenish ones there is a choice of: Black,Brown,Chocolate, Dark Green, Green, Gray, Blue, Light Green, Orange, Pink, Red, Sky Blue, White, Yellow.

Those are all the solid colors listed.

Check to make sure that there are no tracer colors on those wires.