IGNORED

Probably the last ride of 2018

After 25 degrees last week and a glancing blow from the Fool the week before we now are looking at temps in the 60s. I plan to load the pillion Sunday and make one more run for the year. Once that's over I'm going to put her on the lift (bike not pillion) and start a tear down. I bought the bike a year ago and don't know the maintenance record of the last owner. The first owner was diligent and put most of the miles on, I put on about 14,000 this year and the clocks showing 44k. Valve shims are first, new wheel bearings, brakes, pack neck and swing arm bearings, all fluids again, MAYBE a dark side rear tire, plugs, and carb synchronize for sure.

I updated all the electronics to my liking already, and added the clutch spring kit from Skydoc last spring. Ignition bypass added also. Shock and forks seem fine so probably nothing there besides fork oil change. I've looked at the list of known issues and believe I have it pretty well covered.

What am I missing on the list? Really thinking of fuel pump points as preventive maintenance. In the past I've been more of an oil change and tires kind of guy fixing everything else as it comes up, really want to stay ahead of the game on this one as I plan on keeping it into retirement. Best bike I've ever had IMO.

Last year: fluids, tires, front brakes, battery, bad boy horn, ign bypass, Buddy Rich splitter, Garmin gps, Bluetooth receiver hardwired, amplirider, mic mutes, removed cassette and installed charger plug with USB ports, clutch kit. Sure I'm forgetting something.

Might I suggest to take all the brakes apart, master and calipers, clutch master and slave, kill switch assembly, lube the cables and swing arm, lube the speedo head, add stainless steel brakes lines and clean the CLASS control unit under the trunk.

Might I suggest to take all the brakes apart, master and calipers, clutch master and slave, kill switch assembly, lube the cables and swing arm, lube the speedo head, add stainless steel brakes lines and clean the CLASS control unit under the trunk.

See I knew somebody would catch what I wasn't thinking about on the parts order. However since the RSV speedo is electronic I think I'll skip that. thanks for the input.

That's the problem with you new kids, you just think that everything just runs and runs and never need maintenance. Just because it's electronic doesn't mean that it don't need some love and care. Your speedo needs speedo juice just as any other speedo did in the past. What you need is called 'Electronic Flow Enhancer' EFE for short. All speedos should receive a treatment at least once a season, and more often under adverse conditions. If you find that the needle on your device is not consistent with the road speed you think is right, then it is high time that you induce some EFE. Many times the needle will start to stick, especially at the lower end of the scale where you might have an disagreement with the award dept of your local constabulary. So if that is a concern to you, you would be well informed to add a few drops from time to time.

That's the problem with you new kids, you just think that everything just runs and runs and never need maintenance. Just because it's electronic doesn't mean that it don't need some love and care. Your speedo needs speedo juice just as any other speedo did in the past. What you need is called 'Electronic Flow Enhancer' EFE for short. All speedos should receive a treatment at least once a season, and more often under adverse conditions. If you find that the needle on your device is not consistent with the road speed you think is right, then it is high time that you induce some EFE. Many times the needle will start to stick, especially at the lower end of the scale where you might have an disagreement with the award dept of your local constabulary. So if that is a concern to you, you would be well informed to add a few drops from time to time.

Well since I am now more informed than ever I'm afraid of bringing up the missing class controller checks. Should I go ahead and change the tires over to winter air while I'm at it? Where do I check the windshield washer fluid level?:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

Now that you've pointed it out, I realize that your first post refers to your 07 and not the 86, sorry, my bad, I should have thought better about the 86, it probably doesn't need any work for upkeep or maintenance. It's still from the old school and looks after itself I bet.

Now the 07,, yes,,, you would be well advised to do deep maintenance on it, but you won't have to worry about CLASS, that is only reserved for the first gens, because they HAVE class. And no worries about the washer fluid, you can fill it if you want, but we've had enough rain here to last for some time, so if you leave it that won't bother us none. Changing the air over to winter air is of utmost importance as any member here can attest to. The reason being that during the colder weather the rubber of the tire seems to get a bit stiffer and when things get stiff(er) it is best to add some heat to make things useful again and be able to run at full capacity. So winter air, for your info, contains an additive called HEAT, (High Exhaustion Amplitude Transducer) which in your case might be somewhat helpful, not meaning anything by that, just saying. I know that for some others it has been beneficial and somewhat helpful at times, all I can suggest is that you might give it a try if you're so inclined.

Worst part of this plan to completely service the bike in one go is that we usually get enough warm weather here that I can ride a few days each month through the winter. That means a big tear down will cost riding days whenever I do it. I hope to get all the parts here before I start it so it can go back together quick. You guys that work all winter on our bike to ride a few months of the year don't know what you're missing. I got a couple hundred miles in last week, and will probably get that many more tomorrow. Winterizing a bike here means you put on a sweat shirt under the leathers. That plus we don't have to deal with the snowbirds heading south each winter, even though we can ride a few hours south to be warm.

Edited by RDawson

Winterizing a bike here means you put on a sweat shirt under the leathers. That plus we don't have to deal with the snowbirds heading south each winter, even though we can ride a few hours south to be warm.

Sounds like us...except we do HAVE to deal with Snowbirds. Lordy, they are coming out of the woodwork, gumming up the nice 2 lanes and driving 10mph under the speed limit.

Sigh...:biker:

Sounds like us...except we do HAVE to deal with Snowbirds. Lordy, they are coming out of the woodwork, gumming up the nice 2 lanes and driving 10mph under the speed limit.

Sigh...:biker:

We're right on the Tennessee border so we just get their residents coming here to buy untaxed groceries, for some reason they are special and don't feel the need to follow our "keep right except to pass" laws. The fly on the 2 lane near the border, jump in the left lane as soon as it widens out and slow down. Some days it's like driving in Florida. Like Jeff Foxworthy said "it should be legal to get under them, get them loose, and put them in the wall".