IGNORED

Diabetes help

Venturous Randy

I have been typeII diabetic for around 35 years. There have been times I did pretty good on my A1C with it being in the 7's and there have been times that I was dealing with an A1C above 11, not good. I have been on Metformin for many years and had to go off it because it got to the point that I was having a problem with my creatinine levels that were too high and I was having a problem with a lot of diarrhea, not good. I am also taking Nova log before I eat and Lantus. I would try to work with my endocrinologist checking my sugar four times a day, to getting to the point that I was checking it once in four days, not good.

As many have probably seen the advertisements on TV showing the Freestyle Libre unit, if you want to check your sugar level, you have to put the monitor next to the sending unit and it will read it. My outside endocrinologist that the VA sent me to prescribed this and the VA would not approve it. But, I did find out that the VA does approve the Dexcom G6 and it is a lot better. On this one, you attach a sensor that has a transmitter in it to the area around your lower stomach and as long as you are within 20 feet, it will read and plot your level every five minutes. It also has the ability to chime if you have one of the following conditions. If your level goes above a set level, which you set, or goes below a certain level, which you also set, or if your sugar level is dropping too fast or if it is going up too fast it will chime after it takes a reading. You can also acknowledge the reading and it will quit chiming. So far, I have had all the conditions except it going up too fast. I have had it chime and wake me up that my level was too low and I have had it chime and wake me up that even though it was in a good range, it was dropping too fast.

The reason I am posting this is I know there are a lot of diabetics here that struggle with knowing what is going on with their sugar levels. I know that the VA pays for this unit and I also believe Medicare pays for it too. I don't know about other insurance companies.

I have to say that with me having so much more immediate knowledge of my sugar level and finding out what my activity and what I eat impacts it, it is a lot more incentive to do better, that is good.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

I have a very close friend in his 50s with type II that had gained tons of weight, losing his eyesight, and was going down hill quickly. He got to the point he could only walk 50-100 feet without stopping to rest. This is a guy that holds many long bow world and national records, great bow hunter, and was very active but got to the point I'd have to help him climb into my truck. A few months ago he saw some videos by Dr Jason Fung on YouTube about intermediate fasting and diabetes. He watched those and downloaded an app called "body fast" and decided to try it. He cut his carb intake and cut out sugar. All I can say is WOW at the difference, he's lost over 75 lbs and counting, walking around, going deer hunting again, and is now off ALL of his diabetes meds even the insulin. His A1-C is under control and his sugar levels are great.

I know it won't work for everyone but I thought I'd share it. It doesn't cost anything to try it, nobody is selling you anything and I've seen it work. If anyone is interested I will get you connected to him on Facebook, he'll be glad to share his experience. I know this sounds like I'm selling something, I'm not and neither is he.

He's not dieting, just watching what he cooks and eats all he wants.

Edited by RDawson

Randy, the VA will also pay for the injectable Victoza as of about a year ago. Yeah I know, yet another shot a day, but it does help keep us regulated. Without VA approval it was costing me $10 a day, but now it's free thanks to being 100% disabled.

Is the Dexcom G6 capable of having the readings downloaded or have the readings printed out so that the endocrinologist has the information??

As I look at my fingertips they are loaded with little black dots from jabbing them 4 times a day...