IGNORED

Thoughts on the valve shim tool

Well I've seen the list of motorcycles that use the 25mm. shims and it includes the CBX. I had an '81 CBX and as I remember the shim tool rotated around the cam shaft and depressed the "bucket" the shim rests on, so you could remove the shim. I remember the tool did two valves at the same time. The Venture tool does two also, I think. While the distance the valve moves through might not be the same, the amount the tool would have to move the bucket would be the same. Just enough to remove the shim. The width would be the distance between the buckets. That might be different enough to make the Honda tool useless. There was a post years ago that mentioned the Suzuki/Seca valve tool. The one shaped like a question mark. Has anyone tried this ? The links given in that old post are mostly dead and no-one ever posted that " Yes, I use it all the time " post that would be so helpful. Except the guy who said he did it. Once.

Before I rush off to buy that Suzuki/Seca tool, did anyone else try it ? I hate to waste my precious lucre on silly wild goose chases but this one tempts me greatly, even if I have to modify the tool slightly. If someone tried it and failed miserably, I'd love to know.

Well, I have the (Yamaha) SECA tool and the Suzuki tool for the GS series engines and neither will work for the XVZ engine. The OEM SECA tool is not actually the ? shaped tool. It bolts down to the head and is a bit difficult to align properly and can cause serious damage if not aligned correctly. I always used a heavy gauge wire tie through the spark plug port to trap the valves on the XJ (SECA) to do the adjustments.

I just wanted to avoid tying up my limited resources in a $60 tool I will use one time. I could sell it here and recoup most of the cost, I suppose. Or try to borrow one from a member. The ease of use of the Honda tool appealed to me also. I preferred the design and shim change process to the Yamaha procedure.

I just wanted to avoid tying up my limited resources in a $60 tool I will use one time. I could sell it here and recoup most of the cost, I suppose. Or try to borrow one from a member. The ease of use of the Honda tool appealed to me also. I preferred the design and shim change process to the Yamaha procedure.

Yep, I agree, all good logic there.

The even better option is if you buy your gaskets for the job through member @skydoc_17 he has a kit with tool, feelers, and shims that he will loan out. Contact him for details.

I was selling valve tools that I made to members for a few years. There are a lot of members that have one. It might cost you lunch and/or a lot of chatting to borrow one and have a helper for the job.

• 1 year later...